PDA

View Full Version : What's after pack 'n play but before bed?

wolverine2
03-25-2010, 11:43 AM
We're going to my parents soon for a week and DS2 can now climb out of the pack 'n play. He's still in a crib though, so he's never slept on a bed. What can I get for him to sleep on? I'd rather not spend lots of $ b/c I don't think we'll use this much- I think he'll be in a real bed at their cottage this summer, but there's not really a bed option at their house (other than putting a bed rail up on a full size and sharing it w/ his brother- would that work?) My mom wondered about a twin size aerobed on the floor.

mods... feel free to move, just wasn't sure where this fit exactly.

crl
03-25-2010, 11:49 AM
I did a toddler-size blow up bed. Was a bit of a pain the first couple of times with him trying to get up over and over, but eventually I convinced him to stay there and it's worked reasonably well.

Catherine

sariana
03-25-2010, 12:16 PM
My mom wondered about a twin size aerobed on the floor.

If this is already in your possession, it would be a fine choice.

We were staying with my ILs when DS outgrew the PnP. We moved him to a twin mattress on the floor. When we moved into our house, he was almost 2 1/2, and we moved him back to his crib (which had been in storage for 7 months).

You also could try one of those toddler chairs that folds out into a bed. That way you might get more use out of it (as a chair).

neeleymartin
03-25-2010, 12:18 PM
we have the toddler aerobed and love it. is has a bubble around the edge to keep them from rolling out. they go on sale at amazon once in a while. we got ours for $49 last january. hth

wolverine2
03-25-2010, 01:05 PM
we have the toddler aerobed and love it. is has a bubble around the edge to keep them from rolling out. they go on sale at amazon once in a while. we got ours for $49 last january. hth

I was thinking about this, but I'm not sure if we'd actually ever use it again, because by the time we visit them again he'll be 3 and can just share the full size bed w/ his brother. My mom might be willing to buy a twin size inflatable though just to have around her house, but a toddler size wouldn't help her.

Does anyone think we could just go ahead and put the 2 DS's together w/ a bed rail or is that just asking for trouble? (They have never slept together, but DS2 sometimes climbs in w/ DS1 at bedtime and they keep asking. DS1 has a jr size bed, so that would never work!)

crl
03-25-2010, 01:11 PM
DS is still using the toddler size blow up bed at my parents at age 6! (And he's tall.) He could sleep in a bed now but it would be in a different room and when he's away from home he's pretty adamant that he gets to sleep in our room. I only have one so I can't comment on the brothers sleeping together.

Catherine

megv
03-25-2010, 01:13 PM
My 2 boys are close in ages to your boys, and I think you could have them sleep together in a bed with a bedrail. I would have them go to sleep at different times; otherwise it would be playtime/wrestling in bed for hours.

We tend to use minimal sheets/blankets, even for our older DS, as he just tangles himself up. We dress them in pjs so they are comfortable with nothing else. Just so you are not worrying about one DS pulling blankets on top of the other.

infocrazy
03-25-2010, 01:25 PM
When we went on vacation I pushed a double bed against the wall and put DS1 on the outside, DS2 between him and the wall. It worked great! They went to bed at the same time without issue, but they share a room at home so that might make a difference. My plan B for this was to have DS2 share with me--but that was not my preferred option...

The other option I would possibly do would be to just use a sleeping bag. DS1 has one that includes an air mattress and he LOVES it! He first started using it at about 2.5 when his brother needed the PNP.

wolverine2
03-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Mine do share a room at home, so putting them to bed at separate times would never work, and I would expect some amount of silliness, but we'll be on vacation, so I wouldn't care. There's nowhere to push the bed against the wall (good idea though) because of too many windows, but we could get a rail and put it on DS2's side. I'm kind of leaning toward this option, b/c if I got an inflatable bed, I'm afraid DS2 would just get up and climb up with DS1 anyway. I could put him in another room by himself, but I actually think he'll be safer where DS1 is- there are ungated stairs and we don't have any stairs in our house.

infocrazy
03-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Mine do share a room at home, so putting them to bed at separate times would never work, and I would expect some amount of silliness, but we'll be on vacation, so I wouldn't care. There's nowhere to push the bed against the wall (good idea though) because of too many windows, but we could get a rail and put it on DS2's side. I'm kind of leaning toward this option, b/c if I got an inflatable bed, I'm afraid DS2 would just get up and climb up with DS1 anyway. I could put him in another room by himself, but I actually think he'll be safer where DS1 is- there are ungated stairs and we don't have any stairs in our house.

I expected silliness too but they surprisngly went to bed rather quickly! We were in Orlando though so busy days. We actually pushed it up to the closet doors (the bifold kind) but we had no need to get in there.

It would have to be both boys in the bed or both on the floor for us too.

alirebco
03-25-2010, 08:11 PM
We did the Kidco Peapod - zip up tent with blow up mattress inside.

WatchingThemGrow
03-25-2010, 09:21 PM
We use the toddler aerobed. Our soon to be 4yo will be sleeping on one next month and we may be moving the 2.5 to his soon also...maybe...unless he wants to stay in the PnP one more trip. DD looooooves the aerobed and she's used it a bunch of different places. It's EASY to deal with.

american_mama
03-25-2010, 09:36 PM
I am considering buying the Peapod Plus to keep DS, age 23 months, from climbing out and not sleeping when we travel. It's a portable travel bed that rests on the floor and has a pop-up mesh enclosure around it. It's about $80, available through amazon and One Step Ahead. The Peapod Plus is the extra large one which can hold a child until age 3 or more, I believe. The regular Peapod is smaller and outgrown more quickly. I think the Peapod Plus only comes in red, so make sure that's the name and color you are getting.

It may not be worth it to you - I am asking the same question of myself - but I do hate spending tons of time on vacation or at family's house getting DS to stay/get back in his pack n play. No one gets the sleep or relaxation we are supposed to.