PDA

View Full Version : Which toddler classes/programs are your favorites?

julevizamom
03-25-2010, 12:29 PM
DD2 has been home with me since birth and I really would like to start getting her out and socialized a bit more (she's 15 mo.). I'm looking at all the options for classes...from rec centers to library classes to Gymboree/Little Gym types. It's a bit overwhelming. Which ones have you done and liked/not liked? TIA!

SnuggleBuggles
03-25-2010, 12:34 PM
We really liked our gymnastics' class at a local, independent studio as well as Music Together.

Beth

ourbabygirl
03-25-2010, 12:36 PM
DD is 17 months, and what we've done are

*library story times (for babies, though they also have them for 2's & 3's, etc.)
Barnes and Noble & Borders also do these
--> nice, 'cuz they're free

*ECFE classes and drop-in-and-play (not free, but really good)

*Music Together classes (just started our second one last night)
-->pricey, but really fun, especially if you &/or your kid is into music
Kindermusik is similar, but I haven't been to a class

*a local water park has a program for kids in the summers (age 6 and under); it's open to them before the park opens to the 'big kids' and everyone else. It's got a big sandbox area and zero-depth pool with a slide, lots of sprinklers, etc. You should see if your community has something similar.

*there are also swim classes and tumbling classes you can take at the YMCA and private places

Good luck! :D

jerigirl
03-25-2010, 12:37 PM
We really enjoyed Gymboree play classes. Although at about 18 months we switched to My Gym. DS was a huge climber and I thought the equipment was getting too small for him. My Gym had some real gymnastics equipment along with stuff similar to Gymboree that seemed to interest DS more. We also really loved the Gymboree Art classes. I think they start at 18 months. It was great to be able to make a mess somewhere else and not in my kitchen! :p We tried the Gymboree music classes but DS wasn't really into them. He much preferred the more active play classes. Check your local rec centers. Our local center has similar classes to Gymboree (music, art and play) and they are much cheaper. I didn't really find them until after we had started Gymboree and had already made some good friends from our classes.

sste
03-25-2010, 12:41 PM
My son loved music class at that age and actually still does at 2.5. I think alot of it is about the teacher/leader so we tried to do lots of the "free intro" class or ask around about teachers and then made our choice based on the teacher rather than the type of class.

crl
03-25-2010, 12:59 PM
When DS was that age we had a great parks and rec department. We really liked their Music Together class, and liked their gymnastics class even more.

Catherine

TwinFoxes
03-25-2010, 01:24 PM
We did music together starting when the girls were about 9 months, through about 13 months. It was fun enough, but as they got older hard for me to do with non-walking twins (marching around the room with two squirming 15 pounders got tiring). I also thought it was a little expensive for what it was.

We're doing My Gym now, and totally love it. They love the equipment and the songs, and the instructor. This has been the biggest hit.

We also did infant swim classes, which started off disastrous (wailing babies) but ended up being a lot of fun.

I've only been to one library reading, and hated it, and so did the babies. This is definitely a YMMV situation. The person reading seemed to have zero experience reading aloud, let alone reading to tots. A couple of the books were a little too old with abstract concepts, which would have fine if they had cool illustrations, which they did not. The other tots were completely all over the place, wandering around, crying, obviously bored. My girls entertained themselves by climbing on their stroller, and looking at a book I happened to have brought along. I'm going to give a different library a try, maybe they'll use someone with more of a talent for reading to kids.

rlu
03-25-2010, 04:07 PM
We did Little Gym (DS might have been a little older) as the music & me type class didn't work for him. He wanted to wander so the music class and storyhours weren't working for him (or me). Gymboree has open time at their locations which might be more affordable than Little Gym (we only did two sessions due to $$).

We took DS to a parent/child swim class though the local rec and it was a disaster - the water was salty and after DS got that in his mouth, he had a fit everytime he saw the pool. (We later put him into individual swim lessons at the Y which worked out much better, but he was much older, maybe 4. We had been taking him to the Y during family swim for a while before that so he would still equate the pool with fun.) So, swimming might be great (and certainly a good idea) but you might want to "taste" the water before committing your money.

lucybabymamma
03-25-2010, 04:10 PM
I took a trial class at Gymboree and My Gym. They were fun, but I found that the open gym and gym classes offered at the rec center are way less expensive and just as good, at least at this age....

What we have liked the best so far is Kindermusik. I started going with my daughter at 18 months which seemed about the right age for being able to listen and follow some directions, and she has loved it! The teacher we go to teaches out of her house and keeps the classes small (and affordable). I will say that I like the Music Together songs a bit more than Kindermusik songs though! My DD LOVES them but from an adult perspective they are pretty lame and so high pitched they nearly make my ears bleed! :wink2:
I think at 15 months these kinds of music classes are great because they incorporate so many skills -- singing, listening to and playing musical instruments, dancing, following directions......

Overall, I try not to spend too much money on classes because at this age toddlers may decide to do their own thing or that they just want to be held that day!

Oh! You might also keep at eye out on the groupons for your city (groupons.com). In my area, they recently offered 10 dance classes for $25.

alirebco
03-25-2010, 08:06 PM
We love Music Together - we're in our 4th session right now. We started when DS was just under a year and he really enjoys it now.

We tried one of those gym places (like MyGym but a different one) and I wasn't that impressed with the instructors.

I would check out your parks and recreation center in your county and see if they have anything to offer but definitely take advantage of the free demo classes!