PDA

View Full Version : What is your Easter basket this year and what goodies are inside?

denna
03-25-2010, 02:00 PM
Im feeling a bit overwhelmed this season and finding it hard to figure out what to put in the Easter baskets this year. DS will be turning 4 Easter weekend, and DD will be 8months. With school, our recent move, and planning DS's 4th birthday (camping weekend) I have found it hard to figure out a quick and easy (but still fun) Easter plan.

Any BTDT thoughts, ideas, experience. Would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing your whats in your Easter baskets and what you are using as an easter basket this year.

Thanks!

calv
03-25-2010, 02:10 PM
there's a thread already going on in around the house. I gear our baskets towards all toys and A LOT less candy.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=353630&page=5

also last year or roughly 2 years ago I got th kids spiritual easter eggs. HUGE HIT. And they know the true meaning of Easter. AKA, not about chocoloates and the bunny ;)

http://www.christianbook.com/resurrection-eggs-english-spanish-text-updated/9781602001831/pd/001831?kw=001831&en=froogle&p=1013824&cm_mmc=CBDfeeds-_-froogle-_-gifts-_-001831

HTH's

Toba
03-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Yeah, we also do hardly any candy ... frankly, my kid just isn't a big candy freak anyway. We do always get him a solid chocolate bunny (which usually ends up in the trash, because again, he doesn't like candy, DH!!) because that is part of DH's family tradition and he wants to carry it on.

My DS just turned six and we will probably get a few of the new Bakugon series that just came out. I usually put a DVD or two in there too. And some books. He is much more delighted with toys and stuff than candy. Of course, my mother insists on every year getting him a basket filled with candy ... *bangs head*

I make a basket for my nephew too ... he'll be two in July. Last year, I found the CUTEST little basket and I filled it with an Easter book, a fluffy Classic Pooh blanket and the "Guess How Much I Love You" gift set that came with the book and a small bunny stuffed toy: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Guess-How-Much-I-Love-You/Sam-McBratney/e/9780763619428/?itm=3&USRI=much+love

My son had received one shortly after he was born (right before Easter) and that bunny went EVERYWHERE with us. I think it would be great for an 8-month-old too. Sometimes they're hard to find (the gift set, not the book), but I saw them in BJ's recently and the above link at Barnes and Noble has it too. :)

ETA: On my son's second Easter (so he was about 13 months), I splurged on a PBK wicker basket with an adorable liner ... and trust me, that thing will be used every year until it's broken! LOL

Seitvonzu
03-25-2010, 03:03 PM
i'm all over that "around the house" thread-- but i'll chime in here too! nothing like wasting away naptime overindulging in easter talk :):)

i'm the primary easter bunny in my family-- so besides our immediate easter baskets (husband, 2 year old girl and myself), i also send a big box to my brother's family. this year my MOMMY IS COMING!!!! (found out yesterday!!!) so i'll probably do a little something for her too.

hubby-o --traditional white basket with a blue ribbon
Trader Joes "gummy bunnies"
Trader Joes "peanut butter eggs"
Trader joes milk carton of malt balls (TOO stinkin' cute to not get them and get whoppers... i hope they are as good)
A white chocolate bunny (still need to get this)

mine (oh yes, mama is including herself this year)--traditional white basket with a redviolet wire ribbon
Circo Swan & Baby Realistic easter plush (target)
Creme de Violette Liquor
possibly a liberty of london candle (have you guys smelled these? ACK! they have one called "sugared grapefruit" i'm WILD about anything grapefruit- yum!)

lucy's, 27 months at easter (oh here we GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO)-- Navy/pink corolle baby buggy that's been hanging in our storage closet in the basement for nearly a year ):
http://www.kidsurplus.com/itemDetail-item-63%20COR%2058619~-~fromsearch-true.asp#
i'm going to use playsilks instead of easter grass as "filler"
this bunny:
http://www.bearingtoncollection.com/Prod-20-1-1995/Dylan--Ducky.htm?cname=New-Releases
Yes To Carrots Shampoo and Body wash
Yes To Carrots Baby Lotions
peter rabbit utensil set (pottery barn kids)
bunny ears (PBK) (http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/bunny-ears/?pkey=gthmocceas)
miniature peter rabbit tea set
tiny paintset, tiny crayon set, tiny set of clay
4 small beatrice potter books (tale of mrs. tiggy-winkle, tale of squirrel nutkin, the tale of the flopsy bunnies, the tailor of glocheshire)
richard scarry's Bunny book
"spring is here" by lois lenski (if it comes in time, i didn't order in time from amazon and had to track this down on alibris...my child is CRAZY for these seasonal lois lenski books)
hair clippies
calico critter bunny grandparents
Pastel stackable "crayons" from the dollar section at target
bright stackable "crayons" from the dollar section at target
Little bunny sticker book (dover)
Crayola Twistables Slick Stix (these are SERIOUSLY cool- i bought them at michaels, where all crayola is 50% off this week....i had to restrain myself!)
Crayola Right Start Colored Pencils
Wooden Princess and the Frog Puzzle (enchantmints brand)
White Dress up gloves
Haba Wooden Eggs
Haba Bunch of Carrots
Knit Radishes & Asparagus (homemade by good old me)

probably something i'm forgetting...but gosh i hope not. that's an EMBARASSMENT of riches for any child for easter-- a holiday that should really be summed up with a chocolate rabbit, some jelly beans and some bubbles ;) lucy has a christmas birthday, but really , that's not my excuse. i just have a tendency to go OVERBOARD.

Gee-gee's (my mom) (i'm sure we'll be able to scrounge up a basket...we have LOTS):
didn't have to think about this until yesterday! so i think i'm just going to hit up some of the liberty stuff at target right now:
Gardening gloves ( i already bought these for mother's day....so i'll have to see about this)
Liberty of London for target candle (maybe the black tea one-- SMELLS SO GOOD!)
some stationary ?
Maybe a mug w/ some chocolate in it.....not tons of candy, but maybe a little of something "special"

I need to quick get my brother's family's easter basket together (i need to ship it today). i actually got the kids BIGGER toys this time, because i hit up the border's post holiday clearance and got some great deals that will work for the kiddos.

for tmax:
playmobil pirate skull island set (originally 30 dollars, on sale for ONE DOLLAR!!!!!)
flora the tram train (originally over 20 bucks, 2 dollars!!! at b&n after holidays)

for leipolei:
flower blinky ring
pastel/bright stackable crayons
easter cupcake making set (clearance from last year at target)
zebra baking kit (29 orig. on sale for a DOLLAR-- yay borders!)

for the whole family:
TJ gummy bunnies
TJ peanut butter eggs
TJ malted eggs :)
TJs diner blend coffee (mostly for my brother because the can matches their kitchen and is "retro" looking...and he loves coffee )

alrighty-- i better start that package. :) none of this even touches our easter party the day before easter. :) i've already started telling lucy that we are the easter bunny's helpers! (we started the season by delivery 30 easter baskets my newcomer's club made for charity-- so fun!)

Cuckoomamma
03-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Can you tell me what's inside those resurrection eggs? They look really interesting, but I have two very sensitive children and navigating the Easter story can be tough for us.

We're also a non-candy family because of food allergies. Makes Easter way more expensive in this house, lol. Those eggs look like a really nice idea and just want to know if they would work for us.

Thanks!

denna
03-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Thanks ladies! I hadnt realized that there was already a thread going on in around the house. Ill head over there now to check it out. Thanks to those who replied here anyway :). I did browse through this forum before posting my question I didnt even think to check there.

I just wanted to say that the play silks instead of that messy ol' grass is a wonderful idea! Thank you!!

Happy Easter!

fortato
03-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Im feeling a bit overwhelmed this season and finding it hard to figure out what to put in the Easter baskets this year. DS will be turning 4 Easter weekend, and DD will be 8months. With school, our recent move, and planning DS's 4th birthday (camping weekend) I have found it hard to figure out a quick and easy (but still fun) Easter plan.

Any BTDT thoughts, ideas, experience. Would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing your whats in your Easter baskets and what you are using as an easter basket this year.

Thanks!

D! I JUST got my Lubber Totes in today- Apparently, I ordered the wrong color. BUT- the smaller tote that I got would be perfect for an Easter Basket.
I'm not going to fill it with crap this year. I will likely get him some Legos, stuff for outside, and maybe some candy. The Chocolate bunny I bought last year went into the trash, so he'll probably get something he actually likes. OH, and Galactic Heroes. Those are small enough to fit in the basket.

denna
03-25-2010, 06:08 PM
D! I JUST got my Lubber Totes in today- Apparently, I ordered the wrong color. BUT- the smaller tote that I got would be perfect for an Easter Basket.
I'm not going to fill it with crap this year. I will likely get him some Legos, stuff for outside, and maybe some candy. The Chocolate bunny I bought last year went into the trash, so he'll probably get something he actually likes. OH, and Galactic Heroes. Those are small enough to fit in the basket.

K-

How long did it take to arrive? Ive been trying to contact their customer service ALL day and have had no luck. I really would like it by next Friday. Ive been looking at them nearly everyday since you mentioned them BUT I was having a hard time getting DH on board. Now I fear it may be to late for them to arrive in time for Easter. Never the less I will order them for Beach Totes now that he has come around.

MamaMolly
03-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Lubber totes? Link please? I'm also looking for a basket. I convinced myself that the PBK all- fabric ones would go on sale so I held off, and now they are OOS. Crapola.

As for filler, just the thought of a lot of cheapy crap has me climbing the walls. I know my Stepmom will over-do and most of it will either go to charity or trash. We don't share the same taste, you might say ;) . My mom was kind and gave DD a laptop toy that is actually pretty decent considering, but she gave it to her while visiting last week. :banghead: so that isn't going into the non-yet-bought basket.

I went to Target yesterday and found some of those tiny plant pots that have the soil and seeds in them, so I got a small selection of the veggies and flowers. Anybody ever try those? Did anything grow?
I also got her a chocolate bunny (Dove fairy bunny. OMG how cute) and some new craft supplies. I may hold off on the craft stuff because she's really got enough right now that we don't need more OPEN, you know?
The last thing was a couple of books.

I dunno, it seems so boring when I type it out. My mom used to do an amazing job. I might consult her tonight...

pantrygirl
03-25-2010, 07:29 PM
DD is 1.5 years old and we also gear our basket away from food and candy.

This year she will be getting a few books from the VeggieTales folk, bubbles, a new pair of sunglasses, rainboots, raincoat and umbrella.

o_mom
03-25-2010, 07:33 PM
Mini Lego or Duplo set
Chocolate Bunny
1 sleeve of Peeps
Small box of Jelly Bellies

Toba
03-25-2010, 07:37 PM
I went to Target yesterday and found some of those tiny plant pots that have the soil and seeds in them, so I got a small selection of the veggies and flowers. Anybody ever try those? Did anything grow?

I bought several of these months ago and gave them away to my nieces (I think it was near summertime). They said none of them grew anything, but I'm not sure relying on preteens and teenagers is the answer. LOL I did notice they had herbs in the same style pot/packaging and I'm thinking about buying them for my mother who has a really nice window in her kitchen. Also, almost forgot, included in my nephew's Easter basket last year, I put in one of the sunflower ones and my sister said it started growing and then puttered out. Pretty disappointed, but I figured it wouldn't turn out fantastically for only $1.

I buy fully grown ones (that are already producing enough to use) at the garden center almost every year and manage to kill them anyway. *sigh*

Jo..
03-25-2010, 08:01 PM
We have small baskets that we re-use every year. Thankfully they don't hold much. I'll give the kids some chocolate (which they almost never get otherwise), a couple of oranges, one DVD each, and maybe one SMALL toy.

crl
03-25-2010, 08:55 PM
DS has a Pottery Barn basket--the big one. I've got a bocci ball set, a frisbee, a jump-rope, sidewalk chalk, two tie-dye t-shirts and some peeps for it (he's allergic to milk and to apples which wipes out most candy).

Catherine

fortato
03-25-2010, 10:47 PM
http://lubber.cameoez.com/catalog/

I LOVE it. It took less than a week, so you should be able to get one by next Friday if you order tomorrow.
The small one would make a good Easter basket if you aren't going to put anything big in it... but I like the large one more. I'm glad I got both sizes. (Jack loves that they look like Crocs. He even tried to wear one on each foot.)

calv
03-27-2010, 10:17 PM
http://lubber.cameoez.com/catalog/

I LOVE it. It took less than a week, so you should be able to get one by next Friday if you order tomorrow.
The small one would make a good Easter basket if you aren't going to put anything big in it... but I like the large one more. I'm glad I got both sizes. (Jack loves that they look like Crocs. He even tried to wear one on each foot.)

those are so cute! they ever go on sale/clerance. Hate the thought of paying full price for ANYTHING ;)

elaineandmichaelsmommy
03-28-2010, 12:17 AM
my folks do a huge easter brunch/egg hunt thing every year so I tone it down and go simple for their baskets because they get a basket there also. So here the bunny brings a book and a chocolate rabbit. That's all or else it's candypalooza.