PDA

View Full Version : Christian moms how to explain Easter to littles

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
03-25-2010, 04:08 PM
What to tell little kids about the meaning of Easter without freaking them out. I really started to fumble with my 5 year old......

rlu
03-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Ah, right there with you. I explained that Easter is the day that Jesus went to Heaven and because he did, we get too as well. It worked last year, we'll see if it works again this year.

BillK
03-25-2010, 04:12 PM
We have My Easter Basket that I read to Zach - but I still stumble a bit about the grave/stone/angels part. It's a start though I guess...

http://www.amazon.com/My-Easter-Basket-True-Story/dp/0784713561

momof2girls
03-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Hmmm...I think it depends on how much you want your child to actually know. When DD#1 was in preschool (a Christian one) I got there early for pickup and heard the teacher explaining how Jesus "came back" and she used big motions to emphasize that it was a joyeous thing to have happen. DD was 4 then. My kids are now 7 and 4 and I have explained to them that Jesus was crucified (they obviously see Jesus on the cross at church so that was not shocking for them to hear) b/c some bad guys felt threatened by him. God sent him back to us to save us. They have been content with that explaination thus far. DD#1 is in CCD now and I am curious how they are teaching it there.

infomama
03-25-2010, 04:17 PM
This is the Easter book we chose and it is wonderful. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0824940903/ref=asc_df_08249409031069220?smid=AJ6FP2Y659MN8&tag=pgmp-1583-01-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=0824940903

maestramommy
03-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Our church had an Easter egg hunt that was preceded by a reading of the full story. As I remember it though, the picture in the book showed the 3 crosses, but only in silhouette, and at one end of the picture. At the time, I'm sure it went over my kids' heads. I can only assume that over time they will slowly understand what "crucified" means.

I really like rlu's way of explaining Jesus went to heaven!

WatchingThemGrow
03-25-2010, 04:29 PM
This is the Easter book we chose and it is wonderful. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0824940903/ref=asc_df_08249409031069220?smid=AJ6FP2Y659MN8&tag=pgmp-1583-01-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=0824940903
We read that book the other night. It's just about right for my 3yo who reread it to herself (in her words) later. I could tell she got the message. We've been reading the Jesus Storybook Bible for a few nights which is good too.

On Easter Sunday, I somehow get to be the one to teach the 3yo SS class, and I believe they've always done Resurrection Eggs (http://www.familychristian.com/shop/product.asp?prodID=119502) with that group, so I've gotta get ours out and rehearse.

Ceepa
03-25-2010, 04:33 PM

We have this book too.

mamalia
03-25-2010, 05:17 PM
NAK. We tell the story using resurrection eggs. I first heard of them here but DDs preschool uses them too. 4yo when she first heard the story and she understood very well. She was sad, concerned, joyful, etc as the story was explained (we read an egg a day) but I was ok with her experiencing those intense feelings. And I thought the eggs helped to explain the story and help her through the feelings without being too traumatic.

Percycat
03-25-2010, 06:13 PM
I second the recommendation for Resurrection Eggs.

We have been using resurrection eggs since my DS was 3. The set includes one dozen eggs -- each containing a object relevant to the Easter story. My kids enjoy finding the eggs and opening them one at a time. We do this several times throughout lent.

The set includes a booklet that provides information on each part of the story, including words to help explain the crusifixion. My oldest is now 7; our discussion is more in depth than it was when he was 3. Depending on how much time we have, we look up the some of the scripture references included in the book.

When we host Easter dinner, I hide the eggs in the front yard and have each guest find one egg. As a group we open the eggs one at a time, in order, and my children tell the Easter story. I know I personally was much older before I knew as much as my DCs about Christ's passion. I still tear up as I remember my 3 year old telling everyone the story behind each object and getting excited explaining why the last egg was empty.

Angela

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
03-25-2010, 06:25 PM
I second the recommendation for Resurrection Eggs.

We have been using resurrection eggs since my DS was 3. The set includes one dozen eggs -- each containing a object relevant to the Easter story. My kids enjoy finding the eggs and opening them one at a time. We do this several times throughout lent.

The set includes a booklet that provides information on each part of the story, including words to help explain the crusifixion. My oldest is now 7; our discussion is more in depth than it was when he was 3. Depending on how much time we have, we look up the some of the scripture references included in the book.

When we host Easter dinner, I hide the eggs in the front yard and have each guest find one egg. As a group we open the eggs one at a time, in order, and my children tell the Easter story. I know I personally was much older before I knew as much as my DCs about Christ's passion. I still tear up as I remember my 3 year old telling everyone the story behind each object and getting excited explaining why the last egg was empty.

Angela

Oh man, you are making ME all teary! Thanks all for the suggestions, I am going to try to find the eggs IRL if I can!

Mommy_Again
03-25-2010, 06:28 PM
I'm actually doing a scavenger hunt based on the ressurection eggs with my 6 yo and a friend. Not sure on the logistics of it yet, but here are the clues I found:

http://www.diva-girl-parties-and-stuff.com/support-files/resurrectioneggs.pdf

mudder17
03-25-2010, 08:13 PM
My pastor just gave me her summary of a fabulous book by Carolyn Brown called Sharing the Easter Faith with Children: Helping Children Observe Lent and Easter. The author describes developmentally appropriate ways to tell Easter stories to children of different ages, and she also includes activities that families can do to help children more fully understand Easter.

If anyone is interested in specifics, feel free to pm me, since I don't want to retype everything at the moment, but basically she divides it into sections for Infants and Toddlers, Older Toddlers and Two Year Olds, 3-5 year olds, Younger Elementary Kids, and Older Elementary Kids. Under each section, our pastor pulled out bullets that lists what kids of that age are developmentally ready to understand about Easter and what kinds of activities can support/foster that understanding.

There is also a webiste that has Resurrection Story Cookies that I'm thinking of doing with my older daughter (6). You basically make the cookies with them and each stage has something you can make relevant to the Easter story:

http://blessingsforlife.com/recipes/holidays/resurrectionstorycookies.htm

Indianamom2
03-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Well, I don't really have a great answer to your question because we've been reading through the Bible, a story at a time each night, for several years now. (DD is 5.5). So instead of hearing about Easter in isolation, she's been hearing the whole story in a "bigger picture" kind of sense.

When she did start asking questions, maybe a year or so ago, I sort of dreaded it because she is very sensitive, but I don't really want to shield her from the story either because it is a heavy and deeply important part of our faith. We just tried to answer her questions as honestly as we could and we talked about how sad it was that Jesus had to die for our sins, but that it was also a wonderful gift to us when He rose again so that we could live forever with Him in heaven some day. For a while, she worried about/asked lots of questions about death/dying, but after a while she sort of accepted it and has just occasionally asked other questions that we try to answer as best we can.

If it helps, the VeggieTales make a movie about Easter that is lighthearted, but touches (in a song toward the end, if I recall) about the true meaning of Easter.

http://www.familychristian.com/shop/product.asp?prodID=10002

On a related note, I also have to recommend The Jesus Storybook Bible.

http://www.familychristian.com/shop/product.asp?prodID=18200

We have read through A LOT of different children's Bibles, but this one is really beautifully written and I like how it shows how, from the very beginning, God had a plan for us and how he worked throughout time to redeem us.

And now I'm done!:love-retry:

mamicka
03-26-2010, 09:00 AM
Well, I don't really have a great answer to your question because we've been reading through the Bible, a story at a time each night, for several years now. (DD is 5.5). So instead of hearing about Easter in isolation, she's been hearing the whole story in a "bigger picture" kind of sense.

... but I don't really want to shield her from the story either because it is a heavy and deeply important part of our faith. We just tried to answer her questions as honestly as we could and we talked about how sad it was that Jesus had to die for our sins, but that it was also a wonderful gift to us when He rose again so that we could live forever with Him in heaven some day. ...If it helps, the VeggieTales make a movie about Easter that is lighthearted, but touches (in a song toward the end, if I recall) about the true meaning of Easter.

Pretty much ditto. As most things, I think it's important to just be honest. I think that most kids can handle the whole Easter Story if explained in simple terms. Of course, you know your kid best. I also think it's important to have all the Bible stories relate to each other. We also make a point to talk about Easter at Christmas & Christmas at Easter to make sure that that important connection is there.

Gena
03-26-2010, 09:20 AM
We read the stories in the children's bible, including those about Jesus' death and resurrection, year round. We also read the Christmas story all year.

DS is 5.5 and in Kindergarten CCD this year. All during Lent his class has been learning the Stations of the Cross (http://www.cptryon.org/prayer/child/stations/index.html)for children. Each week they would do a couple of stations, DS would bring the pages home and we would talk about them during the week. Then we took all the pages and but them in a book (a binder with page protectors). DS likes reading the book and looking at the pictures. He doesn't understand all of it yet, but that's OK. It's part of his learning style to go memorize the facts first and then go over the material again and again until he really gets it.

m448
03-26-2010, 09:31 AM
We also have the Jesus Storybook Bible and love it. I agree with the others that letting them process the history and truth in age appropriate bites is best. My kids ask a lot of questions based on our reading of the bible and their own developmental stages.

bubbaray
03-26-2010, 09:48 AM

That is our fave too.

bubbaray
03-26-2010, 09:49 AM
We also have the Jesus Storybook Bible and love it.

I have this and am going to give it to one of the girls -- is it more appropriate for an almost 6yo or a 3yo??

TIA

vonfirmath
03-26-2010, 10:13 AM
What to tell little kids about the meaning of Easter without freaking them out. I really started to fumble with my 5 year old......

You tell them the truth. Jesus died for all of our sins (including theirs), but he didn't stay dead. He rose again and is now in Heaven waiting.

I accepted Jesus as my personal Savior just a year later than your little one (barely 6 years old) and there is no way I could have done that if I had not understood what Jesus had done for me. Which means I had to be taught it. I was also watching the Thief in the night video series at that age, and understanding it. (And its got some pretty scary stuff in it)

I don't think that the Easter story will freak children out when the whole story is told.

Katigre
03-26-2010, 10:18 AM
We LOVE the Jesus Storybook Bible. The new version ('deluxe') is $16 on amazon and comes with the whole bible on audiobook read by a British guy - it's really fun to listen to and the Bible itself is so beautiful.

I love the emphasis on grace throughout each story, it's helped me look at certain stories again in a new light (like the story of Rachel and Leah).

We also use the Resurrection Eggs over here, and I want to introduce a bit of the Stations of the Cross for kids too (thanks for that link!).

When I talk to DS about Jesus dying, I always emphasize the Resurrection because that's what's so wonderful about Easter - He made it so that none of us have to be afraid of death ever again (DS it at the age where he's starting to ask questions about dying and is a bit scared about it), so I tell him that Jesus conquered death.

m448
03-26-2010, 10:24 AM
Melissa we've been reading it to the boys since my oldest was 4 and the younger one was 2 but now at 6 and 4 they both pretty much love it. I think it could go either way. Heck, I'm an adult and I get teary reading it too.

Katigre
03-26-2010, 10:34 AM
I have this and am going to give it to one of the girls -- is it more appropriate for an almost 6yo or a 3yo??

TIA
DS started enjoying it when he was 3. I think I would give it to both girls as a 'group' gift or at least read it aloud together.

Here's the link to the edition that comes with both the print bible and audio book cd's:
http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Storybook-Bible-Deluxe-Lloyd-Jones/dp/0310718783/ref=pd_sim_b_2

snowbunnies300
03-26-2010, 10:39 AM
I simply love Easter! :love5::love5: For me I had always loved Christmas as Christ was born. Easter came in second. That all changed in 1989 when I went to Germany for 15 days. On Easter morning I walked through a concentration camp on a tour. I still cannot forget listening to church bells ringing and standing in a place of such horror.

My heart broke that day and the realization of what Christ came to do for all of us came down on me with such force. The Lenton season has never been the same. I cry each Good Friday church service. The weight of my sin is ever present as the church lights are lowered and we leave the church in silence. But come Sunday morning I am refreshed and ready to celebrate the Resurrection. Bring out the trumpets and start singing "Christ Our Lord Has Risen Today". Christ has risen and he will never leave my side! Oh what a wonderful time of the year to be reminded that I am never, ever alone! I LOVE EASTER!!:love5:

MissyAg94
03-26-2010, 10:52 AM
I really struggle with this because the crucifixion was extremely frightening to me as a child. My DD (4yo) knows that Jesus died and then physically went to heaven but she doesn't yet know that he was crucified. I appreciate the suggestions in this thread.

m448
03-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Missy I understand. As a child I had a lot of anxiety related to how my faith was presented. As an adult I've had a lot to work through but in the end have come out realizing what God and his plan are really about (which is definitely not the fear that I had). My own experience really has helped me process how to share the faith with my own children to avoid those pitfalls (or at least do the best I can).

It all started with finding gentle discipline and sort of snowballed from there. I feel entirely blessed.

Indianamom2
03-26-2010, 11:33 AM
You tell them the truth. Jesus died for all of our sins (including theirs), but he didn't stay dead. He rose again and is now in Heaven waiting.

I accepted Jesus as my personal Savior just a year later than your little one (barely 6 years old) and there is no way I could have done that if I had not understood what Jesus had done for me. Which means I had to be taught it. I was also watching the Thief in the night video series at that age, and understanding it. (And its got some pretty scary stuff in it)

I don't think that the Easter story will freak children out when the whole story is told.

Oh my goodness....the Thief in the Night videos scared the you-know-what out of me as a much older pre-teen. I still don't like those videos! And I'm saying this as a person who really doesn't get freaked out by much (other than spiders and bugs!):wink2:

spanannie
03-26-2010, 04:27 PM
Our Kindergarten teacher does this for Easter and I think it's a great idea. http://www.rainbowcastle.org/resurrectioneggs.html Susan, I can send you the sheet with the explanations (which I think are much better than on this website), if you would like. She also does an Easter garden that tells the story of Easter . . . it's with an aluminum baking pan filled with sand and you have all of the symbols and characters to reenact the story. Here's the Easter garden idea http://www.just4kidsmagazine.com/rainbowcastle/eastergarden.html

WatchingThemGrow
03-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Kinda OT, but not... We've been reading the Jesus Storybook bible, the Story of Easter, etc, but DD did the egg hunt, made the bunny ears, etc. at preschool yesterday. I just asked quizzed her.
me: "What's Easter about?"
DD: "Jesus"
me: "What about him?"
DD: "He's big!"

KpbS
03-26-2010, 04:30 PM

:yeahthat: This one is great. We introduced it when DS was 2/3.

Katigre
03-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Oh my goodness....the Thief in the Night videos scared the you-know-what out of me as a much older pre-teen. I still don't like those videos! And I'm saying this as a person who really doesn't get freaked out by much (other than spiders and bugs!):wink2:
I was completely spiritually traumitized by Thief in the Night as a child and am so very against ever showing my children a movie to try to make them afraid about the "End Times" and I no longer believe in that type of "End Times" scenario either (in large part in reaction to the damaging effects it had on my spiritual life growing up).

vonfirmath
03-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Wheras I attribute a large part of my spiritual discovery to those videos and it has made me all the more fascinated with 2 Thessalonians, Isaiah, Daniel, Revelations, and other End Times things.

doberbrat
03-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Kinda OT, but not... We've been reading the Jesus Storybook bible, the Story of Easter, etc, but DD did the egg hunt, made the bunny ears, etc. at preschool yesterday. I just asked quizzed her.
me: "What's Easter about?"
DD: "Jesus"
me: "What about him?"
DD: "He's big!"

:) kids are so cute...

my s/o we were at Mass a few weeks ago and they were talking about the Resurection and dd1 (4) got ALL Excited and asked if Jakey (our dog) could come back as well. Sigh. I struggled to explain about miracles and that no, he cant come back but we'll see him in Heaven.

It was one of the first times I knew that she was really listening and paying attention at Mass.

traciann
03-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Thank you so much for mentioning the Resurrection Eggs and the Jesus Storybook Bible. I have been meaning to get the eggs and picked them up. DD who is almost 5 has made me go through the story 5 times already. What a great way to tell the story.

I have been thinking about getting her a story bible to read at night, but wasn't sure which one. I am going to pick up the one with the cd's as that would be great for the car.