PDA

View Full Version : Insignificant, but I don't know what to do

DietCokeLover
03-25-2010, 06:00 PM
Ok, this is off topic and really doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of life, but if anyone wants to offer their opinion, I'd appreciate it.

We have a couch that is about 13 years old. It's extremely comfortable, but it now has multiple stains on it from children, cats, life, etc. It is a non-neutral color (bright blue) as it was bought when I was single and had decorated my house in lots of different colors.

We have the opportunity to buy a brand new black leather couch that retails for $900 for $250.

We don't NEED it right now. But, one day when we move from where we are right now, we would want new furniture and this would be a great piece to start with.

My dilemma: we've been trying to save money/ pay off car early, etc. This would be a minor derailment of that. However, this is a great deal on a couch.

What do you think? What would you do?

athompson
03-25-2010, 06:02 PM
I wouldn't buy it if I didn't need it. You will be able to find more furniture bargains in the future once you've saved/paid off what you need to.

BabyMine
03-25-2010, 06:05 PM
I wouldn't buy it if I didn't need it. You will be able to find more furniture bargains in the future once you've saved/paid off what you need to.

If you can do without it then I wouldn't buy it.

MamaMolly
03-25-2010, 06:10 PM
I wouldn't for a lot of reasons. Your current plan for the money is better, for one huge thing. The second is that your taste may change, and I can't speak for your area but where we are (when in the US) it isn't hard to find nice, gently used leather couches on Craigs List for a song.

This is just a temptation. Ignore it.

mariza
03-25-2010, 06:12 PM
If I were you, I would give me the contact number for the person selling the couch :innocent:
Seriously though, my initial response was "buy it, buy it now!", because that is a GREAT deal, BUT if you are definately going to move you might want to wait. It may not work in your future home and then you would be mad at yourself for buying it. Unless...you then sell it on CL for $400 (I'm just sayin')

mom2binsd
03-25-2010, 07:00 PM
I would never buy a leather couch, I lived with a friend who had one and they are the worst, slippery/cold, pillows slide off, you stick to them- they look nice but I don't find them functional at all (if you have leather couches and love them sorry, it's just my experience). I love a nice comfy, soft couch.

Kestrel
03-25-2010, 07:02 PM
I'd buy a sofa cover, and keep the old one. Sounds like you're still happy with it, except the cover. So change it!

KpbS
03-25-2010, 07:23 PM
It does sound like a great deal. I would only buy it if you could use it right now. Not to say you have to get rid of your old couch but if you could use an additional couch I'd go for it. I wouldn't buy it to simply store it for the future.

mariza
03-25-2010, 07:26 PM
I would never buy a leather couch, I lived with a friend who had one and they are the worst, slippery/cold, pillows slide off, you stick to them- they look nice but I don't find them functional at all (if you have leather couches and love them sorry, it's just my experience). I love a nice comfy, soft couch.

That is what I used to think until we had a bout with rotavirus that found it's way onto my fabric couch. That was fun to clean up :barf: I had to spot clean then figure out how to wrestly the covers off the cusions to wash them. Then trying to get them back on, well lets just say my kids heard me say things I hope they never repeat!
Not to mention drink spills (DH's, the kids know better than to drink on my couch!), pet hair, etc.
I have coveted a leather couch for at least 2 years now and figure that laying a sueded throw under me will offset the slippery/cold issue. when actually laying on it

TwinFoxes
03-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Seriously though, my initial response was "buy it, buy it now!", because that is a GREAT deal, BUT if you are definately going to move you might want to wait. It may not work in your future home and then you would be mad at yourself for buying it.

:yeahthat: The shopper in me says buy it! But having just moved into a house, I know how hard it can be to find a couch to fit a space. It would suck if your couch didn't fit!

Re: cold leather furniture. I think it depends on the type of leather. It seems the shinier kind is colder. My DH has a leather armchair, and it's not cold at all, the girls love to cuddle in it. It's a little bit of a pebbled leather, maybe that's why?

JoyNChrist
03-25-2010, 07:41 PM
I wouldn't buy it, but that's because I don't like my leather furniture. ;)

Snow mom
03-25-2010, 07:44 PM
I wouldn't buy any large furniture now if you are going to be moving. Moving furniture is a PITA and even if you are super careful it tends to get a bit beat up in the move.

KathyN115
03-25-2010, 07:58 PM
I would definitely buy it! We have a leather couch and I am so glad we do. Spills wipe up with no problem. Even vomit comes right off! And it is a little cool sometimes, but is fine after you have been laying on it for a while. I do agree about the pillows slipping though - annoying! And buying a slipcover for your old sofa could easily cost you $100.

crl
03-25-2010, 08:58 PM
I love leather--spilled yogurt wipes right up! But I would wait because you never know what's going to fit in a new place.

Catherine

DrSally
03-25-2010, 09:01 PM
I would get it. It's a great deal and you can wipe up a leather couch. It's a derailment, but you'll get back on track and a deal like this may not come up when you want it in the future.

ETA: Someone mentioned that they wouldn't buy it if you can't use it now, which is a good point. If you'll have to put it in storage, move it, and see if it fits in your new place, then those are things to consider.

Penny's Pappa
03-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Is there anything of yours that you can sell to help offset the cost? $250 sounds like a great deal. I'd do my best to try to make it work.

DietCokeLover
03-29-2010, 07:10 AM
Thanks everyone, we decided not to buy it. We (I) still think about it sitting over there waiting for me (lol), but we are committed to paying off what little debt we do have and the couch doesn't get us closer to that goal.

maestramommy
03-29-2010, 07:12 AM
I'd buy a sofa cover, and keep the old one. Sounds like you're still happy with it, except the cover. So change it!
:yeahthat: When you move, you can just get rid of it, and it'll be one less thing to move.

Melaine
03-29-2010, 08:27 AM
You probably made the right choice. Good thing I didn't show up to enable you. We love our leather sofas and they are super comfortable. They have held up so well and I am so happy we went with leather because I do feel they will be timeless as opposed to the red microfiber ones I was initially drawn too. But we did find an excellent deal on the set new, so you can probably do the same when you decide it's time to purchase.

vonfirmath
03-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks everyone, we decided not to buy it. We (I) still think about it sitting over there waiting for me (lol), but we are committed to paying off what little debt we do have and the couch doesn't get us closer to that goal.

YAY! DAve Ramsey would be proud!

DietCokeLover
03-29-2010, 12:33 PM
YAY! DAve Ramsey would be proud!

Thank you! Working hard on baby step 2!