PDA

View Full Version : Would you take a 2 year old on a sailboat?

strollerqueen
03-26-2010, 03:51 AM
We just decided tonight to have DS' B-Day on my friend's catamaran this week-end. He wants his little brother to come, and my friend thinks it would be fine. Me, I'm really nervous about taking a 2 year old. I just think it's too much. WWYD?

TwinFoxes
03-26-2010, 04:03 AM
I didn't grow up around boats so I wouldn't be comfortable with this at all. Especially a catamaran, to my untrained eye they just seem easier to fall off.

pharmjenn
03-26-2010, 04:12 AM
I don't think I would, even with a life vest. But I am considering taking my 2yo on a boat whale watching next week. With lifevest and a leash. How long will you be out? I can't imagine containing a child from roaming for the duration of a party. They just don't understand danger.

strollerqueen
03-26-2010, 04:29 AM
Yeah, that's how I feel. Last week, dolphins circled around their boat, playing and spouting water. So she wants to go looking for them again this week-end, which means we would have to go pretty far out to sea, which would take a while. All the kids were begging me tonight to let the little guy go, and my friend keeps saying it will be OK, but I think it's just too far out of my comfort zone.

TwinFoxes
03-26-2010, 04:43 AM
Does your friend have kids? Before I had kids I had no clue how curious, and completely oblivious to danger they are. They have no common sense at all! :) Duh.

maestramommy
03-26-2010, 07:16 AM
I wouldn't. Not with my two year old. But that's just my two year old. I would've when Dora was two. Depends on the kid, y'know?

egoldber
03-26-2010, 07:18 AM
Not on a catamaran, no. Heck, *I* sometimes don't feel that steady on a catamaran!

daphne
03-26-2010, 07:33 AM
My DH loves to sail, so we've taken my 2yo DD out a few times. I spend a lot of time holding her; but, when I'm not, she has a life preserver on, which is tied to the boat.

blisstwins
03-26-2010, 07:55 AM
Can you get a sitter for the little one? I would not take a non-swimmer in that situation. A whale boat would be fine, but not a smaller boat.

wellyes
03-26-2010, 07:56 AM
Some sailboats, sure, but not a catamaran. I'd not even consider it unless one of the 2-year-old's parents was volunteering to be there on the boat HOLDING the kid the whole time.

SnuggleBuggles
03-26-2010, 08:04 AM
We did a catamaran tour with ds when he was that age. He had the life jacket on and we sat with him the whole time. It was fine. But, it sounds like you are hosting a party and I know how distracting that can turn. Unless you have someone there 100% devoted to ds then I wouldn't take him.

Beth

khalloc
03-26-2010, 08:10 AM
Yes I have. Do you have enough adults around to help you? Thats my only thing. We have a 22' sailboat. Its dry. You rarely get wet while on it. But I dont get on it much anymore because we have 2 kids 4 & 2 and its hard to watch both of them while DH sails the boat. He occassionally needs help with a line, and I cannot do both kids and help him...I'd only go if I had another adult around to help.

chlobo
03-26-2010, 08:18 AM
I wouldn't do it. My kid would want to run all over OR I would have to hold him the entire time. Neither scenario makes for an enjoyable afternoon. I'd just get a sitter and call it a day.

ThreeofUs
03-26-2010, 08:18 AM
Depends entirely where you'd be sailing and for how long. In the channel, for a short cruise? Sure. But you'll be holding the LO most of the time, and his life jacket will have to be attached to the boat by a line that won't let him get near the side.

A birthday party? I dunno if I'd take the 2 yo, honestly. But have a great time if you do!

fortato
03-26-2010, 08:32 AM
My DH loves to sail, so we've taken my 2yo DD out a few times. I spend a lot of time holding her; but, when I'm not, she has a life preserver on, which is tied to the boat.

This-

I sailed from Kittery, Maine to Bermuda as a nanny to 2 kids- one 2 year old and one 6 year old. As long as the boys were tethered and had their life jackets on, I felt ok.

You might not get to relax, but it's still ok. We've taken Jack out sailing, and it was fine.

Roni
03-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Would I take a 2 yo on a sailboat--yes. I'm having trouble picturing this boat, and the exact scenario, though. I think the little one needs a one-on-one adult presence the entire time, or I wouldn't do it. Also, is this a chld who is used to being on boats and wearing life vests? Otherwise, again, no. There could be a serious melt-down. My kids have grown up on boats, but there's a certain age that is tricky--around 1-2, depending on the child.

strollerqueen
03-27-2010, 01:00 AM
Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. He is MY 2 year old, lol! And the B-Day party is for my older son. I am leaning towards taking him, because he would be wearing a life jacket, and would be tethered. He's pretty easy going, but being out at sea is quite a different experience. I think I'll see what DH says when he gets home (he's been out of town.)

sariana
03-27-2010, 01:39 AM
We went to Tahoe last summer, and DH wanted to rent a speedboat. DS was just 5, and DD was 19 months. I thought it was a terrible idea; either they would be bored, or they would be trying to escape.

They both LOVED it! DS mostly drove the boat (with Daddy's help). DD sat on my lap with the wind blowing in her face--until she fell fast asleep.

I do agree that whoever was responsible for watching the 2-year-old wouldn't have much fun at the party, though.

sail731
03-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Depends on the size of the boat? Less than 25ft, probably not. We have taken our daughter on a sailboat since she was born (30ft) with no problem. Life jacket is a must!!!!!!!

strollerqueen
03-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Not sure how big the boat is, I will ask my friend. It must not be too small, because it has one of those little downstairs indoors parts. She also has a B-BQ on it, so I am thinking we will do the cooking on the boat, instead of at the park after as we originally planned. We have 8 kids and 4 or 5 adults now, and three of those kids are 9-11 year old girls. They will help tone down the wild little boy energy somewhat.

vludmilla
03-27-2010, 03:08 PM
My mom has a sailboat and an uncle does too. I love them. I would consider taking her on a sailboat with a life vest and constant supervision. DD is a cautious child by nature and wouldn't be too likely to venture out anyway. I like the idea though of tying a rope from the life vest to the boat. I wouldn't rely on that over supervision but it would just be an extra layer of protection.

doberbrat
03-27-2010, 03:26 PM
do you have an appropriately sized PFD and will he wear it the WHOLE time?

some kids hate them b/c they're restrictive.

its a party, will the guests mind if you have to turn back b/c he's flippign out? seems like not the best time to have a "first time lets see how it goes"

strollerqueen
03-27-2010, 05:55 PM
What is a PDF? He will be wearing a life vest, and then will be tethered onto a leash that comes out of the side of the boat. He doesn't normally "flip out". Never has yet, anyway. My DH and DD and her friend will all be there to help out, so I think it will be fine. I did have one mom with the 9 year old girl bail today. She decided it was too dangerous, because "a dolphin might put a hole in the side of the boat.":dizzy:

strollerqueen
03-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Depends on the size of the boat? Less than 25ft, probably not. We have taken our daughter on a sailboat since she was born (30ft) with no problem. Life jacket is a must!!!!!!!
She told me it was 32 feet.

bubbaray
03-27-2010, 06:04 PM
What is a PDF?

PFD = personal flotation device.

strollerqueen
03-27-2010, 06:09 PM
TY!:jammin: Melissa, what was your vote?

bubbaray
03-27-2010, 06:31 PM
TY!:jammin: Melissa, what was your vote?

Hmmm, *me*, I probably wouldn't, but I have my own issues with boats, KWIM? I mean, *I* wouldn't go on a catamaran myself, let alone with or allow my kids.

DH, OTOH, definitely would go.

I think if YOU are comfortable on boats, you can definitely make it safe with a PFD and tether. Sounds like you will have lots of helpers too.