PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard of Xyzal?

BabyMine
03-26-2010, 09:12 AM
M's Pulm just put him on this. He said this med has the least side effects. M has trouble with all the other antihistamines so our choices are extremely tiny.

LarsMal
03-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Yep, I've been on it- can't really think of one I haven't been on!! I had a hard time finding an antihistamine that worked for me after DD1 was born (allergies got ridiculously worse). Xyzal is considered Zyrtec's "cousin". It is basically the same thing, but with fewer ingredients, so the active ingredients work better without the side effects- I think that's how the allergist described it. I had great luck with it, but had to stop taking it when I got pg with C.

I know insurance companies would rather you just stick with OTC Zyrtec, but sometimes that's just not an option! I hope he has good results with it.

Wife_and_mommy
03-26-2010, 09:26 AM
My DD was given a sample of it last year after a severe allergic reaction. It worked well but I didn't want to get a script for something when an OTC would work fine. They suggested a daily dose of antihistamine but I prefer to only give it when she needs it so we do Claritin. DD had the hyperalert reaction to Benadryl as a toddler so giving any antihistamine worried me until I saw she did okay with it.

Hth. I don't think you'll know until/unless you try it.

TwoBees
03-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Yes, I take it daily. It is the next step up from Zyrtec. Essentially, when Zyrtec went generic and otc, Xyzal was released. Makes me a bit sleepy, so I take it at night. Otherwise it works well. I don't know about its use in children though.
http://www.xyzal.com/ has a whole section dedicated to information for parents.

almostamom
03-26-2010, 10:36 AM
DS' allergist has prescribed it for him. He takes it daily for season allergies. We started it again last week. It does make him sleepy, so I give it to him before bedtime.