PDA

View Full Version : Have to share this story b/c I can't tell many people IRL

maylips
03-26-2010, 01:52 PM
So, my mom and dad recently took care of my niece and nephew at my brother's house while he and his wife took a trip to Las Vegas. They were there about 5 days or so.

Well, my mom said the house was filthy (why would you go out of town and leave a dirty house for your MIL?!?! Different post) She said clothes were all over the place, bathrooms were dirty, etc - clearly they did not clean up in anticipation of my parents living there for 5 days.

Mom told me today that one night, my nephew was looking for a ball and mom helped him look for it. They were in my brother/SIL's bedroom and DN looked under the bed for the ball and pulled out a pink...um, "made-for-adults-only-toy"...and said "Gigi, what is this?"

Who in their right mind doesn't put their "toys" away when they know their MIL/FIL are coming to stay?!?!!? Especially when they insisted my parents stay in their bedroom the entire time?!?

I told mom she should've put it on the bedside table and then told SIL when they got home that she found some things she didn't know where to put while she was cleaning and let SIL squirm.

And I am DYING to tell my brother. :hysterical:

maestramommy
03-26-2010, 01:54 PM
I would never be able to look my MIL in the face again if that happened. :hysterical:

♥ms.pacman♥
03-26-2010, 02:06 PM
LOL, this so reminds me of the IKEA "tidy up" commercial

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2315896383576663505#

wellyes
03-26-2010, 02:11 PM
:ROTFLMAO:
That reminds me of this week's Parenthood where the kid finds his uncle's bong. Good news is that stuff goes WOOSH right over kids' heads.

AJP
03-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Omg, I can't imagine! I pick up in anticipation of my mil coming over so I can clean for a few uninterrupted hours. Any chance there is something going on between her and mil to make her leave the house filthy on purpose??? Or maybe it's just normal enough to them that it wouldn't phase her to have guests with a messy house.
I used to clean and pick up (and hide) for my little bro when he would dog sit. Can't imagine not doing it for everyone.

HannaAddict
03-26-2010, 02:27 PM
I don't necessarily believe the looking under the bed for a ball story. Heard same thing from my MIL as an excuse for exploring under the bed of my SIl's house and gossiping about what she found. More than once and more than one SIL, hence we will never have them in our house alone. That said, even though our house is clean if in-laws visit for a few hours and I even have housekeepers that come in weekly, our house generally is in some sort of disarray when we are going out of town. It is crazy trying to get out the door and never the way I would like it for the dog/house sitter. Maybe the same situation or also your MIL might be not entirely accurate with "filthy" comment since we all know how lovely MIL's can be to their sons' wives courtesy of the bitching post. :)

When my MIL breathlessly called to gossip about
my SIL's housekeeping etc. my husband asked her why she felt the need to tell us, it was gossip, plain and simple, and asked her why she wasn't criticizing his brother - he lived there too after all and has arms and hands to clean up. This reminds me why we do not let my in-laws or my dad and his wife have unsupervised access to our home. A house sitter is money well spent since I'm sure I would my house would t measure up! :)

elektra
03-26-2010, 03:02 PM
LOL!
I would totally tell my brother.

Reminds me of when we moved and all my IL's helped out. My 9 yo neice was really into it, wrapped her hair in a bandana, had gloves, wiped out all of our cabinets. She has a lot of inititiative for an elementary school kid IMO.
Anyway, she took my toiletry bags, that any adult would have just put in our bathroom, and she unpacked all the individual items and put them in drawers! We're talking diaphram, spermicidal lube, and other embarrassing stuff. :bag
Nothing that vibrated though thankfully!

TwinFoxes
03-26-2010, 03:15 PM
I don't necessarily believe the looking under the bed for a ball story. Heard same thing from my MIL as an excuse for exploring under the bed of my SIl's house and gossiping about what she found. More than once and more than one SIL, hence we will never have them in our house alone. That said, even though our house is clean if in-laws visit for a few hours and I even have housekeepers that come in weekly, our house generally is in some sort of disarray when we are going out of town. It is crazy trying to get out the door and never the way I would like it for the dog/house sitter. Maybe the same situation or also your MIL might be not entirely accurate with "filthy" comment since we all know how lovely MIL's can be to their sons' wives courtesy of the bitching post. :)

Anyone who's read the BP today knows I'm on the side of the poor, put upon daughter-in-law!

maylips
03-26-2010, 03:30 PM

When my MIL breathlessly called to gossip about
my SIL's housekeeping etc. my husband asked her why she felt the need to tell us, it was gossip, plain and simple, and asked her why she wasn't criticizing his brother - he lived there too after all and has arms and hands to clean up. This reminds me why we do not let my in-laws or my dad and his wife have unsupervised access to our home. A house sitter is money well spent since I'm sure I would my house would t measure up! :)

I hear what you're saying, but this is actually my mother, not my MIL, and while she doesn't really like my SIL and finds a lot wrong with her, she's pretty spot on with how her house is. And believe me, she spent plenty of time telling me how mad she was that my brother didn't step up and do his share either. My mom isn't a clean freak and has plenty of disarray at her own house, so I wouldn't let her be critical about that, but we're talking about SIL's long hair all in the bathroom sink, etc. And I've been there, so I know too.

It would be one thing if she "found" the toy in a drawer - I totally would have called her on that, but really, underneath the bed? I mean, even if she was "snooping" like you said, that's still pretty dumb to leave it there. I wouldn't even leave it there on normal days with 2 young kids in the house.

mom2binsd
03-26-2010, 09:48 PM
This reminds me of a pact I made with my best friend, if DH and I die together she is to come to my house and remove our adult toys-they're in a discreet case away from prying little fingers. Unfortunately they are collecting a lot of dust these days, but I would hate for my IL's to have to clean out our house and find those/dust and all!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-26-2010, 09:51 PM
:hysterical: Def. hide the toys at the least!

newg
03-26-2010, 09:59 PM
This reminds me of a pact I made with my best friend, if DH and I die together she is to come to my house and remove our adult toys-they're in a discreet case away from prying little fingers. Unfortunately they are collecting a lot of dust these days, but I would hate for my IL's to have to clean out our house and find those/dust and all!

OMG I totally should do this with our "box"......though I think I need to find a new box first because it is currently an old VS box with the words "SEXY" on the front.........not the most discreet I know :rotflmao:

HannaAddict
03-26-2010, 10:58 PM
I hear what you're saying, but this is actually my mother, not my MIL, and while she doesn't really like my SIL and finds a lot wrong with her, she's pretty spot on with how her house is. And believe me, she spent plenty of time telling me how mad she was that my brother didn't step up and do his share either. My mom isn't a clean freak and has plenty of disarray at her own house, so I wouldn't let her be critical about that, but we're talking about SIL's long hair all in the bathroom sink, etc. And I've been there, so I know too.

It would be one thing if she "found" the toy in a drawer - I totally would have called her on that, but really, underneath the bed? I mean, even if she was "snooping" like you said, that's still pretty dumb to leave it there. I wouldn't even leave it there on normal days with 2 young kids in the house.

I understood she was your mother. She is the MIL to the now unknowingly humiliated SIL. I would never, ever expect someone to be lookig under my bed. I would expect someone to look in a drawer for something they needed but under the bed? And my MIL patrols under the beds of my SIL's houses. I guess the criticism of the house seems gossipy and unnecessary, it seems worse than the shock at finding an adult toy for some reason. I guess I can see it being hard to keep it to yourself finding something like that, but there is no constructive reason to comment on the state of the house, except fault finding, if that
makes sense. Just wouldn't want to be your SIL and think there is an expectation of privacy for under the bed.

gatorsmom
03-26-2010, 11:13 PM
So, my mom and dad recently took care of my niece and nephew at my brother's house while he and his wife took a trip to Las Vegas. They were there about 5 days or so.

Well, my mom said the house was filthy (why would you go out of town and leave a dirty house for your MIL?!?! Different post) She said clothes were all over the place, bathrooms were dirty, etc - clearly they did not clean up in anticipation of my parents living there for 5 days.

Mom told me today that one night, my nephew was looking for a ball and mom helped him look for it. They were in my brother/SIL's bedroom and DN looked under the bed for the ball and pulled out a pink...um, "made-for-adults-only-toy"...and said "Gigi, what is this?"

Who in their right mind doesn't put their "toys" away when they know their MIL/FIL are coming to stay?!?!!? Especially when they insisted my parents stay in their bedroom the entire time?!?

I told mom she should've put it on the bedside table and then told SIL when they got home that she found some things she didn't know where to put while she was cleaning and let SIL squirm.

And I am DYING to tell my brother. :hysterical:

OMG!!! How embarassing. You know, about 6 weeks ago, DH and I went on a trip and my MIL and FIL stayed at our house - and yes, we had them sleep in our bedroom- for 5 days. I decided never to do it again because for 2 entire months I cleaned and organized that house inside out and upside down. Everytime I opened a closet door all I could think was, "my MIL is going to look in there and think what a mess it is." EVERYTHING was cleaned, organized and put together for them. And yes, definitely, the toys were hidden away. It was a ton of work preparing everything for them. I've decided next time it'll be easier to just pack for and take the kids with us. Then I can leave the house a mess if I want!!

In my opinion, my ILs were doing us a huge favor by coming and taking care of our kids. Definitely not an easy task, even with everything prepared and organized for them. I wanted them to know how grateful I was and just tried to make things as simple and pleasant as possible for them. I guess this is a long way saying, I agree with you.

fauve01
03-26-2010, 11:18 PM
LOL, this so reminds me of the IKEA "tidy up" commercial

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2315896383576663505#

Never saw this before--THANK YOU for the laugh!!! :rotflmao:

MamaMolly
03-26-2010, 11:50 PM
I got one to share:
In college, I babysat some kids for a long weekend. It was a total nightmare!

They wanted me to sleep in the MBR which had a waterbed~ bad enough if you aren't used to it, but in the surrounding cases (one of those headboard/cabinet thingies) with GLASS front cabinets were their toys!! Like a TON of adult toys. :eek:

If you can believe it, it got worse from there...

gatorsmom
03-26-2010, 11:54 PM
I got one to share:

They wanted me to sleep in the MBR which had a waterbed~ bad enough if you aren't used to it, but in the surrounding cases (one of those headboard/cabinet thingies) with GLASS front cabinets were their toys!! Like a TON of adult toys. :eek:

Oh, no, you can't leave us hanging like that. How in the world could that get worse?

Globetrotter
03-26-2010, 11:56 PM
This one is even better!!! :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2315896383576663505#docid=3794250604804941689

Why on earth was she looking under the bed? I have to say, my mom wouldn't know what it was. seriously, I'm not exaggerating. I guess there are benefits to her ignorance on these matters :rotflmao:

Globetrotter
03-26-2010, 11:58 PM

on display? with kids in the house? :47:

TwinFoxes
03-27-2010, 02:36 AM
Just wouldn't want to be your SIL and think there is an expectation of privacy for under the bed.

I would totally think under the bed would be a safe place. I've never looked under someone else's bed before! It would never occur to me that someone would be searching for a ball under my bed. I do find it odd it wasn't in a box or something (ugh, dust bunnies!)...or maybe it was?

mommy111
03-27-2010, 09:26 AM
I got one to share:

The remainder of this story deserves a separate thread. You can't just tell half the story and then leave us hanging in there, now.....