PDA

View Full Version : Our first ever nanny is coming next week, how to prepare?

viba424
03-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Our future nanny for my 2-month old is coming next week for a one-day orientation. I have some questions. I dont know the best way to get her started.

First off, is one day enough? The day she comes in, DH and I also have to run out in the morning for a vet appointment so will need her to watch DD for a few hours even before we begin the day, which sort of complicates it. I could have her come in the day before too, but is that necessary? We are paying her, but I dont know if its overkill and a waste of money or not. I get a good vibe from her, she seems very smart and able, and has a good positive energy. She also has two grown kids and I think she probably doesnt need tons of hand holding.

I have started a reference list of things to go through with her but my list includes things like:

- - Schedules (feeding, sleeping, diapers, tummy time, etc)

- - Tasks/household stuff (dishwasher loading, bottle storage, walks outside, garbage chute)

- - DD's stuff (clothes, diapers, toys, etc and where it all is)

- - Other (cats, doors and security, mail, running the TV)

I dont know how else to prepare, what to expect of her to do around the house in terms of extra work, and how many days she should come in before she starts full time. I go back to work in 1.5 weeks. I sure would like some advice!

arivecchi
03-26-2010, 02:14 PM
I overlapped with my nanny for a week (she worked FT the entire week). That gave everyone plenty of time to adjust and communicate. Good luck!

maydaymommy
03-26-2010, 03:19 PM
I would get her in the extra day. It is beneficial to have her observe the way you interact with your child and to get a feel for the parenting style.

mmsmom
03-26-2010, 04:02 PM
I also had 5 days w/ nanny before I went back to work. I would add food/meals for nanny to the list. I cleared out a small cabinet for ours to keep snacks etc for herself in. That kind of made it clear that I expected her to bring her own food. But I did tell her she was always welcome to anything in our pantry or fridge. I also had her write down in a notebook when DS ate & napped so she would not have to give me a run down at the end of everyday.

gatorsmom
03-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Dont' forget emergency numbers and contacts for you, DH, our offices, cell phones, the doctor and dentist, relatives or friends you trust, etc.

I also think it's important, like another poster mentioned, that she understand your parenting philosophy. Some things which seem important to you might not be as important to her. Explain how you discipline and for what situations. What foods and snacks do you want your children to have and do you make them clean their plate? When can they be finished eating? How do you want her to handle it if they refuse some foods? Their entire meal? Safety issues I think fall into this as well. Everything from talking to strangers (or the more complicated issue of talking to "sort-of knows" like people you see at church, parents of classmates friends) to how to handle when the child wont' sit in their carseat.

Oops, gotta cut this short. HTH!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-26-2010, 07:30 PM
In addition, when I was a nanny, I kept the children's insurance card (3 kids on one card) in case I EVER needed it, and as I took kids to Dr's appointment sometimes.