PDA

View Full Version : postscript to doula thread of a week ago

sste
03-26-2010, 02:18 PM
So, after Citymama's thread about doulas and the great info there I decided to ask my OB her view. Also, I started thinking more seriously about doulas upon recently learning the very sad news that my beloved OB is having some serious health problems herself and is now partnering with her mentor/teacher to fill in for her when she is sick or hospitalized. I am big on familar faces which is why I chose a solo practice OB but I also know my OB would only choose someone to fill in for her who is like her in outlook (low intervention, mind-body oriented) and excellent skill-wise, so no real worries there except the comfort factor.

Anyway, I broached the subject with my OB delicately and she interrupted me halfway through . . . she LOOOOOOVES doulas. She highly recs working with one. I should not worry that a doula will get in her way or her mentor's way if he is delivering me. And then she ran to her computer to get her short list of doulas whose contact info she has kept after being super-impressed with after seeing them "in action."

So, citymama and others, you may want to ask your provider for recs. as well as friends.

Also, got a "prescription" for fish oil and yoga 2X week to address wild mood swings, if anyone else is dealing with that!

SnuggleBuggles
03-26-2010, 02:24 PM
That's great news! I'm glad all looks good and you got some recommendations. :)

Beth

MoJo
03-26-2010, 02:38 PM
I think I missed the original thread. . . but I too asked my midwives for doula recommendations, and they always have brochures or business cards on hand, as does the birth center.

jse107
03-26-2010, 02:55 PM
I must have missed the thread, but working with a doula for my first delivery was wonderful. She really supplemented the experience and never got in the way!

Raidra
03-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Fish oil is wonderful. :) I started taking it a year ago when I started wondering if I should ask my doctor for some sort of prescription. Things have been great since!

AnnieW625
03-26-2010, 04:08 PM
So, Elektra and others, you may want to ask your provider for recs. as well as friends.

Also, got a "prescription" for fish oil and yoga 2X week to address wild mood swings, if anyone else is dealing with that!

I think it was Citymama and not Elektra who posted about the doula about 2 weeks ago.
I have been taking omega 3s at the advice of a midwife, and I love my yoga class too. I try to go at least once a week!

sste
03-26-2010, 04:37 PM
You are right, elektra already had her baby! Edited the post. Thanks!

LarsMal
03-26-2010, 04:39 PM
You are right, elektra already had her baby! Edited the post. Thanks!

Ha! I noticed that, too, and thought I missed some big announcement!! ;)

gatorsmom
03-26-2010, 06:27 PM
How wonderful that you found some great referals for doulas. The fact that your OB provided them couldn't be more ideal. At least that way, you will know that when you are in the midst of labor, their ways of handling the process will be very similar.

sunnyside
03-28-2010, 10:34 PM
I second the Yoga and Omegas rec! I've been going to prenatal yoga twice a week and Prenatal Aqua fitness 2 or 3 days a week. My life has been very complicated and upsetting, but I have been blissed out and I think it is because of the exercise. Everytime I talk about what is going on in my life to my friends, they are like, How come you aren't a mess right now LOL. So yeah, the Yoga and exercise is working. :)

citymama
03-29-2010, 02:52 AM
That's so great about your OB and her doula reccs. My prenatal yoga instructor (who is a homebirth doula as well) gave me some reccs but that's a good idea to check with the OB. Also good news that you talked to her about the mood swings. I've never done fish oil but I totally recommend the yoga! It makes a world of difference, esp. if you have a good instructor. Good for you!