PDA

View Full Version : S/O dinner thread: I thought majority of crockpot had lead.

moonsky
03-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Though it said that it met the federal standard but it still had some in the pot. Am I wrong? I was using it years ago and stopped right after I found out.

BabyBearsMom
03-26-2010, 03:11 PM
This came out a few years ago and was mostly focused on the Rival brand. Most of the higher end brands (Cuisinart, Hamilton) do not. If you have concerns, you can contact the manufacturer and they can confirm or deny the existence of lead in their product.

As a side note, the amount identified in the Rival brand was still below the FDA approved amount. Also, this is true of many glazed ceramic items.

wellyes
03-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Do a search through old threads here, there has been a lot of talk about this. I believe most or all of the mass market slow cooker have minuscule (aka legal) amount of lead in the glaze. And what's really unpleasant is that the info you get seems to depend on which customer service agent you talk to.... I remember one thread about how Hamilton Beach reps using the term "lead free" to mean "free of lead above FDA approved levels". Which is a cop-out since of course they could not SELL them if they had higher-than-legal lead amounts.

The only brand I've heard of that is without question lead-free is VitaClay but I've never used any of their products. I've been using the slow cooker liners. They're made of heat-safe food grade nylon. Not ideal, but better than lead.

maestramommy
03-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Well, isn't that lovely! :irked: I can do lead testing myself since we have strips, but if it tests positive, then what? Do the stainless inserts have lead? I believe they are the ones that you can start on the stovetop.

srhs
03-26-2010, 03:31 PM
The only brand I've heard of that is without question lead-free is VitaClay but I've never used any of their products. I've been using the slow cooker liners. They're made of heat-safe food grade nylon. Not ideal, but better than lead.
Glad I am not the only one! Yes, all the threads I've read here seem to decide they all have lead. I use the liners too, figuring if lead is bad and heated plastic/vinyl is also bad, I'll go for the easier cleanup.

infomama
03-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Crap, my crock is a Rival. Not even worth testing it if they admit they still made them with lead in the glaze. ETA- Well maybe I will test it. Just found a random thread somewhere else where a Rival crock came up clean on the lead test.

moonsky
03-26-2010, 04:00 PM
And what's really unpleasant is that the info you get seems to depend on which customer service agent you talk to.... I remember one thread about how Hamilton Beach reps using the term "lead free" to mean "free of lead above FDA approved levels". Which is a cop-out since of course they could not SELL them if they had higher-than-legal lead amounts.

I called several companies back then and got similar answer as yours. I am not very comfortable using it even the lead is very low. I heard that the safest cookware are cast iron and stainless steel. It is too bad because I really love the convenience of crockpot.

moonsky
03-26-2010, 04:03 PM
[QUOTE=BabyBearsMom;2673939]This came out a few years ago and was mostly focused on the Rival brand. Most of the higher end brands (Cuisinart, Hamilton) do not. QUOTE]

They do not have any or they don't add any more lead in the process. I was told that there is no lead but after reading the site below I am not so sure.

http://www.dld123.com/q&a/index.php?cid=2212

AnnieW625
03-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Glad I am not the only one! Yes, all the threads I've read here seem to decide they all have lead. I use the liners too, figuring if lead is bad and heated plastic/vinyl is also bad, I'll go for the easier cleanup.

that is us too. I love those darn crockpot bags!