PDA

View Full Version : What is great about Stearns Puddle Jumpers swim floatie/vest things?

american_mama
03-26-2010, 04:40 PM
I read here last year about the Stears Puddle Jumpers swim floatie things, see http://www.amazon.com/Stearns-STNS-3864GRN-00-000-Puddle-Jumpers/product-reviews/B0019BSYXE/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1.

I saw them at Walmart last week for $15 (half the price of amazon) and bought one since I think the store does run out of them. Now, tell me why I want one? Why are these so great, why better than a swim vest or swim armbands? Unless you are boating, why are ANY floation devices a good idea?

I am not even sure which child I bought it for. I have a 27 pound two year old and a 50ish pound 5 year old who might benefit from a floatie for deep water. I think the two year old will be 30 pounds by the time we need to use it, and I would not use it for the 5 year old if she exceeds 50 pounds.

On the negative side, I have never used swim vests or the like for my kids, or myself as a child for that matter. My children have never been afraid of the water and we swim only at pools which often have zero entry depths, so the swimming conditions are as child friendly as it gets. We never boat. My fear is that swim devices will give my children false confidence and reduce their learning about bouyancy/sinking on their own. And I worry that it will let me slack off in my vigilance at the pool.

On the plus side, I have three children now who I often swim with alone and the 2 year old is exploring more and more by the day. Perhaps it would be good to have the added help of a flotation device. Next year, there is a good chance we will go on vacation to the Carribean and be swimming in the ocean and pools without zero entry, and possibly even boating some, although I could just cross that bridge next year when the trip is definite.

vonfirmath
03-26-2010, 04:47 PM
We got the Stearns puddle jumper instead of floaty armbands or the like for my just-turned 2 year old to use in a pool. Of course, we didn't have a pool with 0 depth entry and then gradual all the way up. OTOH, even if we did, my kid is social. he would have wanted to be where the people were, not just the other little kids.

The puddle jumpers gave him the freedom to do just that. Sure, an adult stayed with him. But he had the freedom to paddle around the pool, on his own, going anywhere he wanted. He even got out and jumped in a few times and had a great deal of fun.

The other two year old there had brought both floaties and a "swimsuit" float suit thing. But after one evening with my son in the puddle jumper, they went out and got puddle jumpers of their own. They work MUCH better than both of the things they brought.

(Oh and my son likes the independence they gave him as well. He doesn't particularly like having to be held by mom and dad in the pool the whole time)