PDA

View Full Version : Single v. Double hood?

dukie41181
03-26-2010, 05:40 PM
For those of you who have 2 children, do you have thoughts/preference on single v. double hoods on double strollers? I will have a 21 month old and a newborn if that helps. By the time it will be stroller appropriate for outside use here in MI, the little one will be 5-6 months old if that makes a difference.

I am considering either the BJCM or the Valco Ion EX double. I really like the Ion but am not sure if I'll regret the single hood. Although, my husband and I are both very pale skinned (and so is our daughter) so I'd assume the same will be true of our next so both kids would really NEED the hood at the same time...

Thanks!

salsah
03-26-2010, 05:45 PM
most people like separate hoods but my girls hated them because they couldn't see each other w/ the canopies down. so we almost never used the canopies on the bjcmd. they are much happier now with the single canopy on the mbud.

strollerqueen
03-27-2010, 02:32 AM
most people like separate hoods but my girls hated them because they couldn't see each other w/ the canopies down. so we almost never used the canopies on the bjcmd. they are much happier now with the single canopy on the mbud.
:yeahthat:

WatchingThemGrow
03-27-2010, 06:26 AM
When it was my older two in the BJCED, DD love being in the cave - hood extended, seat reclined, no one talking to her. The baby could be doing the same thing, but we could pull him out, check on him or whatever. As long as we didn't move her canopy, she wouldn't screech and wake him up. Now, when we've used either the mini double or elite double, we've found times when DS2 has been asleep and the older DC in the other side have been at the zoo, on a walk, or wherever, where they wanted to see what was going on above them. Our 2 canopies are hardly ever in the same position, so I can't imagine living with one. It's probably all what you're used to, but we've been very happy with two.

arivecchi
03-27-2010, 09:16 AM
DS1 likes the canopy up in our BJCCD, but likes it down when it is really windy or raining. The separate canopies were essential when DS2 was a newborn as he needed his down all the way most of the time. Love the huge separate canopies in our double!

PRmommy
03-27-2010, 10:58 AM
my daughter hates riding with the canopy down. I prefer to have it down for my son. I don't have a double, but if I did, would much prefer the separate canopies b/c of that.

strollerqueen
03-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I think it depends on the kids, situation, and climate. Mine prefer the single cnopy. But they both liked it overhead, never pushed back. Also, when it is hot, the single canopy provides better air circulation.

legaleagle
03-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Not what you were asking but I just got the valco latitude twin and love it (hasn't actually been out of the living room yet since the baby won't be here until May). The canopies are absolutely enormous too, I have the newer EX version.

strollerqueen
03-28-2010, 01:14 AM
Oh good! That one looks really nice, too! Looks like they made a lot of great improvements to the previous model.

dukie41181
03-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Oh good! That one looks really nice, too! Looks like they made a lot of great improvements to the previous model.

What kind of improvements have been made to the Latitude EX twin? Strollerqueen, would you recommend one over the other? Any input on how the car seat adaptor sits on the Latitude? I need a stroller where I can comfortably have a car seat attached on one side and my almost 2 year old on the other.

swissair81
04-02-2010, 03:21 PM
I live in Michigan too. I think the more important consideration is the coverage of the canopy. It gets really cold here. The only problems I've had with stroller canopies, is with the MBUD. My son used to cry because the sun was in his eyes & I ended up having to pull it backwards down some streets. My kids are better off anyway if they can't see each other. My kids tend to beat each other up. My 17 month old gets really into beating up his 3 year old sister.