PDA

View Full Version : Tell me why you love NetFlix ...

Toba
03-26-2010, 06:56 PM
We went a little crazy the other night and bought two tvs (one, enormous; the other, pretty big), a home theatre system (that includes a Blu-Ray player) and another single Blu-Ray player. I almost fell over when we got to the register and I'm feeling very, very, very guilty. On the plus side, this was kind of found money because our tax refund was about three times more than we expected and we've needed a new TV for the family room for a few years (the one down there now is the rear projection kind, and has scratches all over it which make viewing very annoying) and we still managed to pay off three credit cards and bought all this stuff with cash.

ANYWAY, both TVs, the single Blu-Ray player and the home theatre system come with a free 3 month trial of NetFlix (among other things). Right now, we buy our movies and it's quite a waste since we generally only watch them once and then we're done ... with the exception of DS's movies. Now I'm wondering how great NetFlix is (we have Comcast right now, with HDDVR boxes, which includes On Demand, but I'm guessing NetFlix's selection would be much bigger, no?) and would it be better to get rid of a few of the HDDVR boxes. We generally buy 2-3 movies a month on average. How many movies can you get with NetFlix, especially streaming (not through the mail) since our new TVs and other paraphernalia is set up for that.

O/T, but we did our research before going, but the salesclerk sold us on the smaller TV because it comes with Pandora (as does all the other stuff) ... the way he explained it (I had never heard of it before because I apparently live in a cave), it sounded awesome. I played around with it on my laptop last night and was kind of really disappointed that it won't play the exact song you search for (copyright or something, because they're free internet radio), just ones that they think you'll like based on your search. And you can only fast forward or rewind a song so many times an hour (something like that). How is that awesome??

3blackcats
03-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Netflix is great! So worth the money, and it's free for you, so even better :)

We use watch Instantly all the time as well as by mail.

Instant
-I love that I can watch workout videos, helps give a variety
-They have a lot of kids shows, I haven't watched any, DD is only 1.
-Some TV Shows are streamed as well, so you can catch up on what you have missed. Some of the big ones are Lost, Dexter, Desperate Housewives
-When you stream, it is in HD. Assuming you have a high speed internet connection

By Mail
-We have a new movie every other day. For example we will mail one back Mon and have a new one in the mail on Wed.
-Tons of movies to pick from. We do two at a time and unlimited streaming. So, we can have one movie for me and one for DH. I think you can even run two separate queues and they will send you one from each.

I don't know how On Demand works. But, I know that you can get brand new movies On Demand, but not on Netflix streaming. It's all about digital rights management which is quite touchy right now. On Demand you are paying for just the one movie. Netflix, you are paying for all the movies, KWIM?

As for Pandora. Love, Love, Love Pandora. I turn it on at work and love the variety that plays. It does eventually play the songs I have listed :-)
Again, Digital Rights Management is a hot button issue right now.

HTH

citymama
03-26-2010, 07:13 PM
I am so low-tech - we don't even have TV reception in our house. So I love Netflix because:

--I don't ever have to stand around craning my neck at DVD titles at 9 pm on a Fri night at the video store.
--Nothing is ever out of stock when I want to see it.
--I can see new releases the day after they're released on DVD (as someone who never gets to the movies, I love this!)
--the mailing in and return thing works like a charm
--I can add movies to my queue when they come to mind or are recommended - and one day they just show up in my mailbox!
--economical if you get the plan that works for you - 2 at a time or whatever.
--as someone who doesn't have TV, I can watch TV series I am interested in - like Mad Men, for instance
-- Netflix on demand is great, although we hardly ever take advantage of the streaming video thing.
--much more eco-friendly and cheaper than buying all the DVDs you want to watch once!
--great selection of titles, incl. foreign and niche genre movies. basically, they have almost everything you'd want to see.
--can share your queue with friends to get reccs from them.

enjoy your fancy new gadgets!

fivi2
03-26-2010, 08:46 PM
I love Netflix!

I am streaming a movie to the tv as I type (our blu-ray player allows for streaming). We get 3 a month plus unlimited streaming. We watch a ton of kids' shows streaming plus a lot of other things. We netflix movies and tv shows. no late fees, no running to the video store, our turn around in the mail is pretty quick, like pp. I thought it would bother me not being able to pick out a movie that night (maybe I wouldn't be in the mood for what we had from netflix) but that has not been an issue. The only con is that I have no idea how they assign new releases - we have been waiting for a couple for MONTHS. (if it isn't available they skip to the next thing on the list.) I had no idea you can set up separate lists - that is something I would love!

We do also have dvrs on our tvs - to record all the current shows that we watch. We don't go out much, so we do watch a ton of movies/tv. We probably go through about 10 Netflix dvds a month (maybe more, maybe less - movies go quickly tv shows take longer)

I am not a huge Pandora fan (not great with background noise) but dh loves it. They play songs they think you will like based on the artist you suggest. There are some good kids' songs on there too!

eta: pp mentioned getting a movie the day it is released. I don't think we have ever gotten a new release that quickly - we wait for new releases a lot. (It must depend on what the local distribution center has). Even so, it is well worth it for us. If we are really dying to see a new release, we can pay per view it on tv.

maestramommy
03-26-2010, 09:46 PM
We signed on to Netflix when they were offering $5/mo for 2 movies/mo. So far we haven't gotten the full good out of it because we can't seem to watch more than one video a month, if that:p BUT, what I love about them is that I can get just about any film I want. When we used to rent from Blockbuster or Hollywood Video I couldn't find any of the documentaries or foreign films I wanted to watch. So far, I've been able to find everything I've wanted from Netflix.

khm
03-26-2010, 10:01 PM
I'm a huge fan.

We've only been mailed a handful of DVDs since joining a few months ago, but streaming..... how I love streaming.

We burned through LOST in record time, have watched a couple movies with the kids when being snowed in and I found a few random things to watch when doing laundry or whatever. It's great!

Toba
03-26-2010, 10:24 PM
So, just so I understand, you can buy a package that allows you two physical DVDs and also allows unlimited streaming movies to my TV (the ones that are setup for it) with as many movies I want, right?

The Comcast on Demand only charges you if you rent a movie. We've never done that ... some things I don't mind spending money, other things (which would include CoD new releases) I'm very frugal about. We only use the CoD to watch the movies available on the premium channels that we have, or once in a while to catch up on a series that I've missed (although they're not very reliable about that ... I love Criminal Minds and they hardly ever have them on CoD, but they have CSI, Numbers, etc.). We also use it for kid's shows in DS's room. That stuff is all free.

I really need to do something because our Comcast bill is OUTRAGEOUS. We have three HDDVR boxes that cost us around $20 each a month. Plus, we have three premium channels (which, because of the package we have, only costs us $10 each). We also use their broadband internet service which is around $50 a month. Our HDDVR boxes are OLD (at least five or six years) and we didn't ask for them. When the installer came out, he gave us the HD ones because they had more storage capacity. We got our first HD TV a few years ago (in our bedroom) and finally started using the HDDVR part and those fockers started charging us for all three then (even though the other two TVs weren't HD). Now all three TVs are going to be HD. *sigh* We are going to use DS's old TV (a 22" flat panel non-HD TV) in our formal living room which we swore we'd never put one in, but I gave up. That one will use just the regular digital cable box that is free with our package. I've noticed for the past few weeks (maybe longer?) that Comcast is now offering multiple room DVRs, which we've been asking for for years. We're also thinking about going with their VoIP service because they'll discount us for having all three of their services. We've had Vonage since they first came out and if it's going to give us a better deal with Comcast, bye, bye Vonage. I really need to sit down with a bill and call their customer service which I am DREADING, but I have to ... I know I can lower the bill substantially (even if it's just a 6 or 12 month contract, they've always let us renew with a new contract with bigger discounts). I am just so not looking forward to it. Plus, I'm guessing they're going to make us have them come out because they'll be changing out three DVRs (and replacing the regular digital one that's been broken for months) and adding the VoIP, even though my DH could do this stuff easily. Blah. I'm really hoping their newer HDDVRs have an even larger storage capacity than the ones we have now.

Anyway, after that long unintentional rant, my question is if I sign up for NetFlix's 2 movies a month plan (I think it was $8.99 a month?), I can get unlimited streaming movies, correct? Because I would be ALL OVER THAT and be done collecting DVDs that we never watch again. It's such a waste.

DebbieJ
03-26-2010, 10:59 PM
We love Netflix for renting TV series. As someone else mentioned, the selection is awesome. We are just getting into the Instant thing.

fivi2
03-27-2010, 12:02 AM
Our plan is 3 a month, but yes, we have unlimited streaming.

However, not all titles are available streaming. Very few new release or super popular releases. Not even all tv shows. We have found plenty, but it won't replace the regular rentals, imo.

As far as the boxes go, we don't have comcast. but if you want to watch your hdtv in hd, then you need a hd box, afaik. Just to watch your shows. So if you watch regular tv, then netflix won't replace that (at least it doesn't for us, others may have more advice on that!)

WatchingThemGrow
03-27-2010, 06:37 AM
We have a Netflix move (Nursery University) right now from the ILs' subscription, and it is scratched or something that makes it not play through. It will be a hassle to get another copy and watch the rest of it next week.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-27-2010, 06:51 AM
i love netflix. i like using the "watch instantly " feature..the selection there is growing and growing. i think they have the first 10 season of law & order on it. crazy.

fumofu
03-27-2010, 07:16 AM
DH and I watch Blu-ray movies on the Xbox, rented one at a time. He pays the bill and says Blu-ray is a couple dollars more per month. We also got the disc from Netflix that allows us to stream movies via Xbox. I don't think the stream is HD quality, but it's a lot better than streaming on the computer. We almost always just watch movies that come in the mail though.

JoyNChrist
03-27-2010, 07:24 AM
Netflix is some of the best money we've spent in a long time. We have the plan where you get three movies at a time, unlimited movies a month, and unlimited streaming. We really like it for television series, and I like it for documentaries I can't usually find locally. I also like that you can add a movie as soon as it comes out (like while it's being advertised before it hits theaters) and then when it's released on DVD they'll send it to you. I use that a lot because I'm always seeing previews and thinking, "I'd like to see that" but then by the time the movie is actually in theaters or on DVD I've forgotten about it.

We frequently give Netflix subscriptions as wedding gifts, and everyone has loved them.

I like Pandora too. I like that it's free, like regular radio, but more suited to my tastes. After you listen to it for a while, it will learn your taste better and you'll rarely hear a song you want to skip. I also like it because it helps me find new songs/artists that I wouldn't have heard otherwise.

wellyes
03-27-2010, 08:53 AM
My favorite thing about Netflix is watching whole TV series in one big gulp. Over a 3-5 year period I think my husband watched every 30 year old samurai movie ever made.

I cancelled recently but I can't say a single bad thing about the customer service or the way it operates - they do a great job & give you exactly what they promise.

Anyway, after that long unintentional rant, my question is if I sign up for NetFlix's 2 movies a month plan (I think it was $8.99 a month?), I can get unlimited streaming movies, correct? Because I would be ALL OVER THAT and be done collecting DVDs that we never watch again. It's such a waste.

Yeah, but very little is available streaming. Lots of documentaries and the occasional fun comedy. Not many TV shows either - the British The Office and older seasons Dexter are the ones I remember being more famous among the available shows.

An alternative if you want movies is the Redbox stations at grocery stores. There is ALWAY a promo code you can use to get a free movie - slickdeals has a thread about it.

Ceepa
03-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Also if youre only watching a movie once, check out your library. I think most libraries are catching on that people would rather rent or borrow a movie and so they are stocking up. Our local library has a huge selection of movies, TV series, documentaries and how-to DVDs. Currents and classics. There's even a whole wall in the kids department filled with tons of kid DVDs.

It's a great money saver and we're always at the library anyway.

wellyes
03-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Oh, that's a great idea about the library. My friend works at a town library and she told me the DVD section is far and away the most popular / widely used part of their collection.

fivi2
03-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Also - someone mentioned a scratch. I think in five years we have probably had 4 discs that have been unwatchable. (and it could have happened in the mail). If you let them know on-line, they will immediately send the replacement before you send the damaged disc back. It is a pain, but no more of a pain than driving back to blockbuster to get a replacement, imo. So, yes there are some negatives, but we still really like netflix!

JustMe
03-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Can someone explain how streaming works? (What do you need to do? What equipment do you need?) Thanks.

wellyes
03-27-2010, 12:31 PM
For streaming you can watch on your PC. Or if you wish to watch on your TV, need an internet connection to your TV via laptop , Tivo Series 3 or Roku. There may be other ways but those are the ones I remember.

With most Netflix subscriptions, even the $10ish a month ones, you can watch an unlimited number of streaming movies with your account. Most of their library isn't available streaming but there's usually a new release or two and many many many many hours from the back catalogue.

We used a laptop - very slow by WIFI so we used an ethernet cable. Just hook the laptop to your PC and then have the laptop screen display on your TV ...... that's really easy, I think you press F5 or F6? Having that connection is good cause then you can also watch Hulu, Fancast, etc on your TV.

fivi2
03-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Our blu ray player plus a wireless thingie allow us to stream from netflix. (and pandora and something else). I don't know the details - it is all magic to me, but I know our blu-ray player has the capability.

khm
03-27-2010, 12:58 PM
We stream to my HP laptop that is at least two years old. It has an HDMI plug in, so we just leave a HDMI cord plugged into the TV and hook up the laptop when necessary. If we were in the market, we'd get a TV or a bluray with those capabilities. But, the laptop works super well for now!

We watched LOST start to finish on streaming, it was awesome. Californication only had season 1 available for streaming, which was odd.

Seems like more and more is becoming available though. From reading articles, streaming is "the future" they are aiming for, so I'm sure the streaming library will continue to grow by leaps and bounds.

Toba
03-27-2010, 10:04 PM
Our blu ray player plus a wireless thingie allow us to stream from netflix. (and pandora and something else). I don't know the details - it is all magic to me, but I know our blu-ray player has the capability.

This is like ours too. We haven't bought a new TV or disk player in years (besides the PS3 we bought for Christmas 2 or 3 years ago). Now both new HD TVs have Netflix built in and the new Blu Ray player AND the home theatre system we bought (that also includes another Blu Ray player) do also have it built in (they all also have Pandora too). One TV and the home theatre system also have Facebook and eBay and YouTube built in too (haven't tried that out yet).

I just changed our Comcast plan today .... and what a nightmare. The rep on the phone (actually two different ones) told me that our HDDVR and cable modem were "end of life" and we could upgrade to the newer (with more capacity) boxes and modem for free. My husband dragged all that crap down to their office only to find out that they have the same exact boxes with the same exact storage capacity (I am frequently running out of room on the one in my bedroom), except that Scientific Atlanta was bought out by Cisco so that was literally the only difference in the boxes. They gave him a $20 credit for coming all the way down there after being "misinformed." And even though they've been advertising heavily about their multi-room HDDVRs on TV, they are not yet available because they are waiting on two of their parts suppliers to come through with the parts they need. *sigh* Oh, and I have to PAY someone to come out and change out my cable modem (which will now also include the VoIP too) if we want to keep our phone number. They'd let DH pick it up at their office with no service charge, but we'd HAVE to give up the phone number we've had for almost 14 years. DH said it's literally two lines that have to be plugged into the modem and it's done (he works with high end electronics (medical equipment) for a living and he knows what he's doing) and they were going to charge me $60!!!! When I griped, she discounted it to $30, which is still a waste. Anyway, I got a much bigger package and VoIP and saved about $60 a month.

Still getting Netflix though! Thanks for all your reviews. We have a 3 month trial period (I wonder if we could use all four of them and get a free year of Netflix ... probably not!! LOL) and DH will definitely be doing that tomorrow. I'm just happy that we're not going to be spending $60+ a month in Blu Ray disks that we never watch again. Since we had a kid, we never get to go to the movie theatre anyway, so I'm sure waiting a few extra weeks or whatever for DVDs that we want won't kill us.

citymama
03-28-2010, 01:00 AM
So, just so I understand, you can buy a package that allows you two physical DVDs and also allows unlimited streaming movies to my TV (the ones that are setup for it) with as many movies I want, right?

Yes, there are different packages you can subscribe to, and it starts as low as one movie at a time; I think the max is 3 at a time? All but the most basic package allow for unlimited streaming.

We've been Netflix subscribers for 5 yrs and never had a scratched disc yet.

ITA about borrowing from your public library as well!