PDA

View Full Version : Encouraging self soothing?

TwoBees
03-26-2010, 09:06 PM
Is there a way to encourage self soothing? I realize that DD may be too young yet (5 mos old/2 mos adjusted), but I am wondering if I should start encouraging something. She has refused 5 different pacis, has started to suck on her hands, but not consistently, and doesn't suck or stroke anything else. Any suggestions?

viba424
03-28-2010, 09:44 PM
If I understand your question (I am still a parenting amatuer so I know little about self soothing), what use a constellation night light, and when we tuck her legs in a blanket that seems to trigger a calm mode, and she either spaces out or goes into a deep sleep.

TwoBees
03-28-2010, 09:50 PM
I guess I really mean during the day. We seem to be okay at night, at least at the moment, but there are times during the day when she will not be soothed. Not many, but some.

Katigre
03-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Is she comforted by you holding her, nursing, or a change of scenery (i.e., go outside if you're inside)? Does she like a swing or baby carrier?

I personally don't think that 'self-soothing' (when a child is upset) is developmentally appropriate for an infant. If they do it on their own, then that's great, but it's not something I would stress about.

PMJ
04-24-2010, 02:19 PM
If I"m understanding your question right - what about getting her in a calm state on her own first, then seeing how she reacts to that.

Try: rocking, reading a book, gentle massage, etc.

Mine is 6 months old and she does not /can not get herself back to sleep once she wakes, so I'm working on that right now. She needs some selfsoothing techniques too!