PDA

View Full Version : Need an "in between" stroller

Lila
03-26-2010, 10:56 PM
DD has grown out of her (is growing out of her) car seat/snap and go and we have a city elite jogger, but need something "in between" that I can just throw in the back of my Subaru, use at the store - that the babysitter can take her for walks in (nearby, etc...) nothing too heavy or bulky, but nothing that's going to be chintzy and fall apart either - also something that reclines, as she is a fan of napping in her stroller (at least in her carseat).

Any ideas? She's 7.5 months and about 20 lbs

Also is there a parent-facing stroller out there for this age?

Suzanne74
03-27-2010, 03:54 AM
I have the bumbleride flyer but I think that is too expensive/too bulky for your quick needs. My daughter is 7 months 22lbs and I am looking at getting the Peg Perego Si, Maclaren Quest or Joovy Kooper. All fold up umbrella style which was my must need. I really was leaning towards the Kooper until I put my daughter in it. I think she is stil too small for the loose 5pt harness and there was no foot extender so her little feet are dangling. Since I already have a Maclaren Volo that I saved from last daughter, I am super close to purchasing the Si for my inbetween. My daughter who is the same built/age as yours looked great in it. The pluses are great canopy, good basket, comfy, foot extender, about 16lbs and folds with one hand umbrella style and stands on its own. I have played with it multiple times and really love this seat. The Quest is a close second and while it is a little lighter and more compact fold, it is very tippy so you can't hang anything on the handlebars, the basket is smaller and harder to reach in recline and I don't like the fold as much because you have to bend down to the street to fold it and the wheels touch the canopy. This is what made me lean towards the Si.

WatchingThemGrow
03-27-2010, 06:17 AM
I think a City Elite and a Mac Triumph are a great combination. Why couldn't the babysitter use the Elite for walks? That's what it's made for and performs best on. :heartbeat: my BJCED and Triumph.

arivecchi
03-27-2010, 09:17 AM
Maclaren Triumph is the answer. :D

Lila
03-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Can you still find mac triumphs? Web search isn't producing anything.

wellyes
03-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Search Maclaren - the best umbrella / travel strollers ever.

newnewsmama
03-27-2010, 01:54 PM
BJCM. Wonerful in between stroller.

Lila
03-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Are there parent facing ones?

strollerqueen
03-27-2010, 03:18 PM
A lot of people in Strollerland love the Bugaboo Bee. It's reversible and weighs 20 pounds. It is expensive, but there are a lot of deals around right now since the new version is about to come out.

jacksmoma
03-27-2010, 05:17 PM
get the bjcm- totally diff than the elite (better imo!) i love mine for the car :)

Suzanne74
03-27-2010, 09:48 PM
BJCM folds easy but it isn't easy to throw in and out of a Subaru. I think she wants an umbrella style fold.

Bee can be parent facing. Bumbleride Flyer can be too but it is too bulky for everyday in and out use.

Lila
03-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Yes, def. umbrella-style fold - parent facing, lightweight (but sturdy, if that makes sense).

strollerqueen
03-28-2010, 12:59 AM
Yes, def. umbrella-style fold - parent facing, lightweight (but sturdy, if that makes sense).
There is also the Pliko Switch. That is about the lightest reversible umbrella stroller. It is 23 pounds.

AnnieW625
03-28-2010, 01:36 AM
Maclaren Triumph, it has been DD's only do everything stroller since she was 3 mos. old and had good head control. It is a truly perfect trunk stroller.

Suzanne74
03-28-2010, 11:40 PM
Maclarens do NOT parent face though. That is something she wants.

PGTB
03-29-2010, 11:17 AM

There is no such thing, unfortunately. You have to compromise either on the type of fold or the weight or reversible feature. All the reversible parent facing strollers are upwards of 19lb.

AnnieW625
03-29-2010, 11:28 AM
There is no such thing, unfortunately. You have to compromise either on the type of fold or the weight or reversible feature. All the reversible parent facing strollers are upwards of 19lb.

I think the Peg Perego Switch is going to be one of the few options out there.

PGTB
03-29-2010, 02:08 PM
I think the Peg Perego Switch is going to be one of the few options out there.

It should fit the OP needs based on her first post. I would definitely go and check it out at the store. But if she wants something really lightweight or compact, that's not it. There really isn't anything out there that's reversible, has a compact umbrella fold and weighs under 19 lb. If it is and it can take a car seat or something is coming out this year later I am not aware of, please let me know! I need a travel stroller and would love to have a reversible seat. :)

ehf
03-29-2010, 08:31 PM
I've been looking for the exact same stroller--a lightweight, parent-facing, compact stroller to replace my snap n go. The Bee is about it, but it's super expensive. They end up for sale on Craigs List in NYC all the time, but not near me in Boston.

I have to admit, I've been using the Maclaren Techno XLR that I bought off Craigs List when I was pregnant, and it has been better than I expected. I wouldn't recommend it because it takes up so much space when folded, but my 8-month old DD has definitely gotten over not being able to see me. The problem is that _I_ like to see _her_--not the other way around, I'm afraid.

I wish I had a more accessible basket, and I wish the XLR weren't quite so rattly on city streets, and I wish it weren't so bulky. I am thinking about getting a BJCM.

StrollerQueen: where are these great deals on 2009 Bees? I can't find them except for regular price.

Suzanne74
03-29-2010, 09:42 PM
I don't think the Bees will go on sale until the Bee Plus comes out.

I truly wish that Inglesina Zippy Free was sold in the US. I think it would sell very well here.

oceana
03-30-2010, 02:16 AM
I've been looking for the exact same stroller--a lightweight, parent-facing, compact stroller to replace my snap n go. The Bee is about it, but it's super expensive. They end up for sale on Craigs List in NYC all the time, but not near me in Boston.

I'm in Boston area, and am a bit addicted to cl for all kinds of stuff :) My advice: Keep checking CL daily, or better yet, morning and eve. Just run a quick search for bee all the time. I've seen at least 2 bees these past couple of weeks. They are usually gone within a day or so (especially if the price is right), so keep looking.
BJCM could be a good choice, but I'm reluctant to get it because of the width. I'm afraid it won't fir in the bus, if I don't want to fold it. I keep my mac for the bus and PT, but never ending supply of strollers in stores and online keeps me checking other brands :)

sweetsoul99
03-30-2010, 04:08 PM
I purchased a maclaren techno XT for my inbetween stroller. I loved the bjcm, but thought it was too wide for the stores. I loved how lightweight the triumph is, but didn't like how bumpy it is outdoors. If you're planning on using it mostly indoors and on smooth sidewalks, the triumph would be great. If you want to use this for traveling or outdoors at all, I highly recommend the techno. It weights a bit more at 17 lbs vs the triumphs 11, but the extra feature were super important to me (extendable hood, larger wheels with suspension, and fully reclinable seat)

Lila
03-30-2010, 09:30 PM
Is this what you guys mean?

What's a good deal (if I found one on CL)?

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=bee+stroller&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&cid=16558937664306781303&sa=title#p

My sister is due in August - I wonder if she'd want to "split" it and go in half and share it with me. She prob. won't need it for another long while.

Lila
03-30-2010, 10:40 PM
So it looks like it's a toss up between the Mac Techno and the Bee. The techno isn't parent facing, though, right?