PDA

View Full Version : If you've tried naked potty training....

elektra
03-26-2010, 11:18 PM
How do you deal with their not-so-fresh little behinds sitting on everything?!?
I am getting grossed out and feel the need to disinfect whatever DD has just sat upon.

gatorsmom
03-26-2010, 11:22 PM
LOL. Sorry, but your post was funny. To me, at least!

I did naked potty training outside in our backyard with Cha cha during the summer. And that is the ONLY way I'll do naked potty training. WAY too messy for me.

Raidra
03-26-2010, 11:32 PM
The only time I got icked out was if they really got into touching their bums. Then we washed hands and I gave them a quick swipe with a wipe. But if we use wipes after they poop, I don't think their bottoms are terribly unsanitary. It's not like they're adults, with sweat and discharge and whatnot. Unless they've been spelunking, it never bothered me.

elektra
03-27-2010, 12:19 AM
The only time I got icked out was if they really got into touching their bums.
Well this was part of this too. I said to her tonight, "stop touching your bottom if you are still eating." And then I thought to myself, "did those words really just come out of my mouth?" So yes, Lisa the whole thing is really hilarious if you break it down like that.

The whole potty training thing has me exasperated. It is not going well. But tonight, DD finally decided to take off her diaper by herself and wanted to sit on the toilet. But then she wanted to keep her diaper off and sit on everything!
I think I will just feel better if we have wipes on hand. I am totally not a clean freak or neat freak or anything. I mean, we let out dogs up on our bed, etc. but for some reason, I don't like naked bottoms sitting on stuff. But you're right, it's not like it's an adult. It still is bothering me though!

gatorsmom
03-27-2010, 12:28 AM
LOL. Sorry, another funny post.

I totally understand about being a little skeeved out. If my children were running around diaperless for any length of time in my house I would constantly be wondering when they were going to leak a little. Or a lot. With my luck, they'd suddenly develop diarhea on my sofa.

I know you aren't asking for advice, but I thought I'd add what worked for us. After trying a few techniques, this worked well for us for both boys. I put them in thick, cloth underpants. No pullups- I really wanted them to feel the wet if they peed in their underwear. Then, I fed them as much juice and water as they wanted (I even pushed it on them), sat their potty chairs in a nice convenient place and set the timer for 25 minutes. Everytime the timer when off, they had to try to pee in the toilet. I offered them m&ms when they put something in the potty (I tried stickers and a chart and they didn't work as well as m&ms). And I danced around the room and made a huge hoopla about it anytime they peed or pooped in their potty. Eventualy they lost interest in the m&ms and would just call me over excited to show me their creation. LOL. We did that for about 2 weeks and Gator was trained. I can't remember how long it took Cha cha.

Hope you keep seeing progress!

jerigirl
03-27-2010, 12:28 AM
I put a few beach towels down in the room we were in and he had to sit on that.

AnnieW625
03-27-2010, 12:36 AM
The whole potty training thing has me exasperated. It is not going well. But tonight, DD finally decided to take off her diaper by herself and wanted to sit on the toilet. But then she wanted to keep her diaper off and sit on everything!

You know that was DD too. All of a sudden she decided she was ready to go to the potty, and it was weird because most of the time when she did we were out in public. If we were at home instead of letting her run around naked we'd put on some training pants and then put her back on the potty at least once an hour. Sometimes it would work other times it wouldn't. She'd pee right through her clothes many times. It took her a good month to actually get used to telling us when she had to go. She was pretty much trained a month after she turned 3 in the house and at daycare. It took another month of work to go somewhere and not have a pull up or diaper on. Just be persistent and ask her when she needs to go and eventually she'll just get into the groove of it.

elektra
03-27-2010, 12:46 AM
I'm definitely welcoming the advice you guys.
I think part of my problem is that I am not commiting to it. I have tried her in panties but when she peed through every pair we had I just put the diaper back on. And then I was like, "well maybe she just needs to be naked" But the naked thing also doesn't seem to stop her from just peeing on the floor ( and then there is of course the aforementioned ick factor of the naked sitting). And then she says she is scared of the potty or freaks out if I "make" her sit on it, in the times when I have tried the timer method of taking her at set intervals to at least try sitting.
It's so weird too because she loves candy and chocolate but that doesn't seem to be a good enough incentive for her.
I am SO thankful for our hardwood floors right now!

sariana
03-27-2010, 12:51 AM
But the naked thing also doesn't seem to stop her from just peeing on the floor

I've never understood the naked potty training method because this is what my kids would do, too. When I put my DS in underwear instead of a diaper or Pull-Up, he just peed in his clothes and went around with wet clothes. He didn't even seem to notice, much less care.

DD is only 26 months, but she would do the same thing (just hang out in wet clothes).

I guess I just have late bloomers. (Oops, no pun intended!)

s7714
03-27-2010, 12:54 AM
For starters, there was a lot of furniture they weren't allowed on when they were PTing, regardless of whether they were sans drawers or with undies. The couch, oversized chair, etc. were all off limits. They have their own little stuffed chairs to sit in in the living room, which have removable washable slipcovers I made, so that's where they sit the majority of time to this day. On the floor anywhere else I usually just threw down a blanket or towel. I must admit though I was more grossed out by the thought of random cat fur sticking to their privates than I was about bare bottoms touching things. :D

elektra
03-27-2010, 01:02 AM
I must admit though I was more grossed out by the thought of random cat fur sticking to their privates than I was about bare bottoms touching things. :D
Oh great! Now I have this to think about too! ;) Did I mention we have a cat in addition to our 2 dogs? Oh and plenty of dustbunnies to go around too.

s7714
03-27-2010, 01:12 AM
Oh great! Now I have this to think about too! ;) Did I mention we have a cat in addition to our 2 dogs? Oh and plenty of dustbunnies to go around too.

LOL! Sorry, wasn't trying to stress you out more! :rotflmao:

JTsMom
03-27-2010, 07:24 AM
We just didn't really have that issue. When we got to that stage, he would usually use the potty if naked. We had an occasional accident, but it wasn't that common. I waited until he was really ready though- don't know if you're open to that or not.

Pooping on the potty didn't happen until the end, and he never had a poop accident. He'd always hold it until he had a Pull-Up on. Plus, he's the neatest pooper in the world- LOL. Even when I wipe him, there almost never anything there, so I guess that helped.

How about a long T-shirt or dress and no panties as opposed to totally naked?

JoyNChrist
03-27-2010, 07:32 AM
I'm just happy to read this elektra because our kids were born at the same time and potty training is not exactly happening for us either. And I feel like all my friends' kids are already done! My best friend's son PTed at 18 months...a year and a half later, Avery's still not there.

He has until September, because I'm SO not changing three sets of diapers! ;)

JBaxter
03-27-2010, 07:42 AM
Ive done it 3 times and honestly it never crossed my mind LOL. I can say Ive never had a furniture accident anytime close to potty training. We have had a couple over the years but they were well after the training phase ( usually during a nap on the sofa). My boys seem to thing their penis/testicles will escape if they are not held tightly at all times so I just wipe their hands when they have snack / foods.

Im not a super clean freak but we do have a dog and havent noticed "fur" stuck to anything.

momtoonegirl
03-27-2010, 09:37 AM
When we did the naked potty training with DD, I put lap pads and a few cloth diapers down on the most common places for her to sit (booster seat, sofa, etc.). I only had to clean a few small accidents (only pee accidents), but nothing very large because once the pee started to come out only a little, DD ran to find the potty:)

clb
03-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Good advice here. I was planning to start naked potty training in June since it will be warm enough temperature wise. I never thought about the other stuff yet.

I have until Sept. to get DS trained for school. He likes the potty, but has no interest in it. He will sit on it naked, but wants a diaper on to pee. I may have to try going straight to underwear. I am hoping at some point he will want to use the potty. My mom insists that when DS is ready, he will train within a week. I haven't pushed it but I feel the deadline looming.

Good luck!

mariza
03-27-2010, 12:04 PM
With DD she lived in cotton dresses with nothing underneath, worked great. DS was a different story entirely. No advice there.

wendibird22
03-27-2010, 03:05 PM
I think part of my problem is that I am not commiting to it. I have tried her in panties but when she peed through every pair we had I just put the diaper back on. And then I was like, "well maybe she just needs to be naked" But the naked thing also doesn't seem to stop her from just peeing on the floor ( and then there is of course the aforementioned ick factor of the naked sitting). And then she says she is scared of the potty or freaks out if I "make" her sit on it, in the times when I have tried the timer method of taking her at set intervals to at least try sitting.
It's so weird too because she loves candy and chocolate but that doesn't seem to be a good enough incentive for her.

Same boat with DD1 who is 2.5. Last Sunday we went through 5 pair of training underwear and pants. She'd feel bad that they were wet but not enough not to wet them again. Same problem again today. And she's soooo smart so intellectually she can tell us that if she has to pee to tell us and well put her on the potty but then she says she doesn't know why she didn't tell us before she peed in her unders. Haven't tried naked time because I don't want the mess in my house. If she isn't PTd by summer we may try naked time outside. Oh and she LOVES getting stickers and a pez for peeing on the potty but still it isn't enough incentive for her to ask to go. I'll be following this thread!

Indianamom2
03-27-2010, 04:50 PM

Okay, I'm going to be the lone voice of dissent (sort of) here, but I wonder if she's just not quite ready yet. She might be close (like in another month or two), but if the candy isn't enough motivation and she freaks out/is scared of the potty, then to me, those are red flags that she might not be ready.

For the record, this is very similar to how potty training went with DD#1 at our house. The first time (or maybe two) that we tried, it was just a lot stress for all of us. I decided to wait a little longer, and when we tried again, she got it.

My vote, FWIW, is to wait for a few weeks/months and try again.

chozen
03-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Okay, I'm going to be the lone voice of dissent (sort of) here, but I wonder if she's just not quite ready yet. She might be close (like in another month or two), but if the candy isn't enough motivation and she freaks out/is scared of the potty, then to me, those are red flags that she might not be ready.

For the record, this is very similar to how potty training went with DD#1 at our house. The first time (or maybe two) that we tried, it was just a lot stress for all of us. I decided to wait a little longer, and when we tried again, she got it.

My vote, FWIW, is to wait for a few weeks/months and try again.

i am also thinking the same thing. we tried for a couple of weeks at first she was all for it then she started to resist the potty chair. i posted here and many thought she was not ready, i have to admit she really wasnt ready. i had a hard time accepting that because i had 2 or 3 wks. invested in it and i felt like it only delay things down the road but now i see it was for the best.:)there was way to much struggle!