PDA

View Full Version : Any 'wow-'em' Easter recipes?

ourbabygirl
03-27-2010, 11:11 AM
I want to bring something fun/ special to my parents' for their celebration next Sunday, but I can never think of anything good or interesting/ out of the ordinary.

Any ideas or hits in your family?

Thanks! :)

sunshine873
03-27-2010, 11:14 AM
We're pretty traditional...ham, scalloped potatoes, deviled eggs. But...I also always make a trifle. Maybe that would be good. It's so springy/summery, and is really beautiful if layered in a trifle dish or even a taller glass bowl.

snowbunnies300
03-27-2010, 01:21 PM
My hometown church does a ham dinner in the spring. Lemon Fluff is always one of the three choices for dessert. I love it so much!

Lemon Fluff
1 sm pkg lemon Jello
3/4 c boiling water
1 c sugar
1 can evaporated milk, well chilled **
1 lemon, grated and juiced
12 double grahm crackers

Place large bowl and beaters for electric mixer in refrigerator for 30 minutes or longer. Dissolve lemon Jellow in boiling water. Beat sugar in slowly. In the large refrigerated bowl, whip chilled evaporated milk until light and fluffy. Add Jello mixture to whipped milk. Beat together until well mixed. Add grated rind and juice of lemon. Roll out graham crackers and put 1/2 of crumbs in a 9x13 in pan. Pour lemon fluff on top of crumbs. Sprinkle the rest of the crumbs on top and chill well in refrigerator.
**It is very important that the evaporated milk is very cold and that the beaters and bowl are also well chilled.

Seitvonzu
03-27-2010, 10:17 PM
holidays are pretty traditional here too-- but for easter we do a champagne brunch. so we have the ham, cheesy potatos, manderin romaine salad, rolls, devilled eggs, etc. but we also do brunch food-- quiche, and an apple baked french toast w/ whipped cream and maple syrup. it's so wonderful :):) i also make rhodes butterscotch pullapart rolls (really easy) if you want either of those recipes let me know and i'll pull them out.

if i wasn't making lemon cupcakes in addition to my standard fresh strawberry pie, i'd make that lemon fluff- that sounds GOOD and my mother would love it :) i think i'll maybe make it the next day, as a treat for my lemon loving mother :)

ack! now my mouth is watering. i LOVE easter food :)

Tondi G
03-28-2010, 01:52 AM
holidays are pretty traditional here too-- but for easter we do a champagne brunch. so we have the ham, cheesy potatos, manderin romaine salad, rolls, devilled eggs, etc. but we also do brunch food-- quiche, and an apple baked french toast w/ whipped cream and maple syrup. it's so wonderful :):) i also make rhodes butterscotch pullapart rolls (really easy) if you want either of those recipes let me know and i'll pull them out.

if i wasn't making lemon cupcakes in addition to my standard fresh strawberry pie, i'd make that lemon fluff- that sounds GOOD and my mother would love it :) i think i'll maybe make it the next day, as a treat for my lemon loving mother :)

ack! now my mouth is watering. i LOVE easter food :)

My children love lemon cake... I never even thought of making lemon cupcakes. Hmmm maybe I should try for easter.

we always have lunch... ham sandwiches, potato salad, pasta salad, fruit salad, chips, vegis n dip (I think someone brought mac n cheese last year). Maybe we should try to plan for it a little earlier and do Brunch.... a baked french toast could be super yummy. I always kinda hesitate to include sweet foods in the meal cause the kids eat some much candy/chocolate on easter.

jgenie
03-28-2010, 01:57 AM
if you want either of those recipes let me know and i'll pull them out.

Not the OP, but I would love your recipes if you don't mind posting. :D Also, do you have a recipe for the cheesy potatoes? TIA

katydid1971
03-28-2010, 01:58 AM
Try the food network website, I always find great recipes there. Are you looking for a main dish, a side dish or a dessert?

Melbel
03-28-2010, 08:56 AM
This is our hands down winner and favorite holiday staple. It goes great with turkey (Thanksgiving) or ham (Christmas/Easter) Several of my DFs families have also added it to there regular rotation.

Cranberry Apple Casserole

3 cups peeled, chopped apples
2 cups cranberries (1 bag Ocean Spray)
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
3 (1 5/8 ounce) packages instant oatmeal with cinnamon and spice
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
Pecan halves
Additional fresh cranberries

Combine apples, 2 cups cranberries, and 2 tablespoons flour, tossing to coat; add 1 cup sugar, mixing well. Place in a 2 quart casserole.

Combine oatmeal, copped pecans, 1/2 cup flour, and brown sugar; add butter, and stir well. Spoon over fruit mixture. Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Garnish with pecan halves and cranberries. Yield 6 to 8 servings.

megv
03-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Pineapple stuffing...so yummy with our ham :-)

Seitvonzu
03-28-2010, 03:33 PM
we totally do baked pineapple with ham too (i'm assuming that is like pinapple stuffing? aka, scalloped pinapple at our house?)..but we do that on easter DAY, so i forgot about that.

cheesy potatos
32 ounces southern style hashed browns (the chunks not shredded)
1 pint sour cream
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup (i use cream of celery when veggies are going to be present -- no problem!)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper (i think, though i've probably left this out before, just because i forgot)

1/2 cup onion
1 stick of butter

2 tBsp butter
3/4 cup crushed cornflakes

preheat oven to 350 degrees. mix the potatos through pepper together. saute onion in butter until soft-- add to potato mixture. dump potato mixture into 9x13 pan, spread evenly. mix remaining butter and cornflakes and place on top of potato mixture. bake for 45 minutes or until bubbly and cooked through! enjoy this once yearly heartattack treat! :)

Seitvonzu
03-28-2010, 03:36 PM
i'll totally post the apple french toast recipe too-- it's not too too sweet actually , esp. if you forgo the syrup and go with whipped cream on top :):)

i did the potatos from memory. have to go collect the french toast recipe :)

Seitvonzu
03-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Still delicious :) here are the rolls i make- don't get instant pudding- that won't work :)
YUM :)

http://www.rhodesbread.com/recipes/view/1613

Sheila
04-03-2010, 06:31 PM
I have to comment on the Lemon Fluff recipe. I saw it posted a couple of days ago and decided to make it because it sounded so good.

Well, I made it today, and as I was putting it together, it suddenly clicked with me that this is a recipe that my grandmother used to make for me and my siblings some 30 years ago! I was in shock that I replicated it! I haven't had it in so many years, and it is exactly the same. Soooooo yummy and reminds me of my wonderful grandma, too. I can't wait to share it with the family tomorrow. Thanks so much to the OP for posting this!

PS - I also second the recipe for the Rhodes pull apart rolls. I've been making these for years. The recipe I cut out years ago called them "caramel pull aparts." They are so easy and so good!
________
Fetish kissing (http://www.****tube.com/categories/520/kissing/videos/1)

infomama
04-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Still delicious :) here are the rolls i make- don't get instant pudding- that won't work :)
YUM :)

http://www.rhodesbread.com/recipes/view/1613

I make this all the time (minus the nuts) and it is SOOOOO good. I still call it monkey bread. I don't cut the rolls in half though. I grease the bundt pan and put the rolls in frozen, whole. Then I sprinkle the dry pudding mix over the top of the rolls. I cook the butter, brown sugar and a little vanilla until the sugar is dissolved and then I pour that over the frozen rolls. Spray a piece of plastic wrap with pam and cover. Leave it alone...all night (at least 8 hours). In the morning, remove the saran wrap and bake at 350 for 25 minutes (lowest rack in the oven so the top doesn't burn). Turn out on a big platter (be careful..hot sugar) and watch them dissapear.