PDA

View Full Version : How much do you typically spend on a wedding shower gift?

ourbabygirl
03-27-2010, 11:30 AM
I know it depends on the person/ people, and your relationship to them. This is for a cousin and his fiancée (early 20's). I only see them once a year at most and have only met her a few times, and now that I'm a SAHM I'd like to be more wise with the money I spend on gifts.
Also, they're registered at Target, Macy's, and Crate & Barrel.... any ideas for a 'good-bang-for-your-buck' type present? It would be nice to get them something they'll use often and that will last over time (for instance, we use our knife block set every day, but it's more than I want to spend)...

Thanks for your help! :D

JoyNChrist
03-27-2010, 12:17 PM
We usually spend $100 for family, and $50 for friends (unless they're really close).

One of my favorite wedding gifts (especially if we're not really close to the couple) is an engraved cutting board with their new married initial. You can get them here (http://www.monogramchick.com/Personalized_Cutting_Boards_s/64.htm) and they range from about $35-75. We always get a good reaction when we give one of those.

wellyes
03-27-2010, 12:19 PM
In that situation, $30-$40.
Small kitchen appliances or kitchen linens sets are a good bet. Definitely stick to the registry.

Fairy
03-27-2010, 12:26 PM
OOPS! I WROTE THIS WITH WEDDING IN MIND! VERY SORRY!!! WILL RE-REPLY BELOW!
How many of you are going to the wedding? If it's all of you, spend $100 if you can. If it's just you and DH, I think $75 is the lowest I'd spend.

I understand finances are a factor you have to consider. Some items at Crate & Barrel that I'm a fan of giving that make a serious impact on their lives and are not just throwaway things (whether they're on the registry or not) are:

* The 10 bowl set
* A good chipper/dipper set that's not too decorative unless it's on the registry (e.g., you love the southwest inspired stripey one, she hates those colors, bad choice)
* Gadgets. Big ole basket of gadgets, especially the intresting ones, like a cherry pitter and orange peeler.
* Candlestick holders for tapers, plus a nice variety of tapers
* One place setting she registered for
* All of one kind of her glassware (like all 8 or 12 of her martini glasses; this is often very economical to buy)
* placemats & napkins

If you are looking to save $$, stay away from pots and pans and cookware. That stuff's very expensive, and one pot will cost $100, and giving one pot may feel weird. So many other things to give.

That's my advice. I hope it helps!

fivi2
03-27-2010, 12:30 PM
You are talking about a shower, right?

Are pps talking about the wedding gift or the shower gift? Because I don't think I have ever spent $100 on a shower gift! (but I am pretty cheap!)

Is it a themed shower?

For a shower, I usually spend under $50. For wedding, I am usually between $50 and $100 depending on details.

Fairy
03-27-2010, 12:32 PM
I totally messed up and thought this was wedding. in my own defense, I can't find my glasses. Any of my glasses.

Shower? $50. No less than $30. But somewhere in that range is, in my mind, perfectly sufficient.

ourbabygirl
03-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Thanks, Everyone!
I was thinking $30-40 but didn't want to look cheap for not spending at least $50.
She does have a nice glass dish for chips & stuff that she registered for at C&B; I think it's around $40. It's hard, because they actually live in Colorado, so I'm afraid they won't want to cart back (or ship) the heavy and/or breakable things like glasses, etc. Plus by the looks of their 3 registries they also have very expensive taste... yikes!
I figured we'll spend more on the wedding gift (it'll be DH and me attending, not sure if our almost--2 year old will or not), at least $50 or so.

Thanks again!

JoyNChrist
03-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Oh okay, I didn't understand. Around here, we either bring a gift to the shower or the wedding, but not both, which is why I gave a higher price. Is that not normal? That's how everyone I know does it.

ETA - I didn't mean I would go to a shower without a gift (because that's the point of a shower). But if I go to the shower and give my gift there, I won't give one at the wedding. Usually the only people who give gifts at the wedding are those who didn't go to the shower. I thought that's how everyone did it.

fivi2
03-27-2010, 01:16 PM
I have always done shower gift (less expensive) and a wedding gift. The showers I go to are usually themed, so the gift may or may not come off the registry. (I just went to a lingerie shower - clearly that was not on the registry!)

Then for the wedding, I do a more expensive gift from the registry.

OP - I think 30-40 $ is perfect. I don't know what to tell you about the shipping issue though!

wellyes
03-27-2010, 01:28 PM
ETA - I didn't mean I would go to a shower without a gift (because that's the point of a shower). But if I go to the shower and give my gift there, I won't give one at the wedding. Usually the only people who give gifts at the wedding are those who didn't go to the shower. I thought that's how everyone did it.

Do you mean people give (physical) gifts at showers and cash at the wedding? Or just one gift per new marriage?

Around here it is more like gift at engagement party, gift at shower, gift at wedding too.

1964pandora
03-27-2010, 01:34 PM
About $50 or $60. I look at their wedding registry and find an item that costs around $100 that I can find somewhere else for around half that.

JoyNChrist
03-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Do you mean people give (physical) gifts at showers and cash at the wedding? Or just one gift per new marriage?

Just one gift per new marriage. Or maybe a small gift at the engagement party (if they have one) and then a bigger one at the shower OR wedding. I've never known anyone to give a shower gift and a wedding gift...I don't think we got any gifts at our wedding from people who attended our showers.

Now if it's a lingerie shower or bachelor/bachelorette party type thing, that's extra of course.

That's just the way we've always done it and the way everyone I know does it. Of course around here "money dances" at weddings are still pretty common (even though I find them tacky), so people who have given a shower gift will often give some cash at the wedding, but it's usually no more than $20 or so. :shrug:

ourbabygirl
03-27-2010, 05:22 PM
Yeah, around here (midwest), we do a gift at each of the events (though my oldest brother and his wife are the only engagement party I went to; my parents hosted that). It sure adds up, with showers, weddings, and babies!

AnnieW625
03-27-2010, 07:03 PM
I spend between $25 and $40 for a shower gift for a friend or an aquaintance. For a close friend or family member I'll spend more. I think that the chip and dip set would be nice and I would just ship it to whoever is hosting the shower.

I have never heard of just giving one gift for either the shower or a wedding.