PDA

View Full Version : ISO dvds/videos with good non-religious messages for early elementary school age

JustMe
03-28-2010, 12:36 AM
In order to help dd get a little perspective on some of the peer issues that are going on at her school, I thought it would be a good idea to have her watch a movie about such things. A friend suggested something from the American Girl series...Honestly, I have avoided American Girl things because somehow dd has not heard of them and I dont need to spen $100 for a doll. However, we rented a movie called Chrissa Stands Strong from the library. It was great and dd loved it. Its about a girl who moves to a new place and the most popular girl decides to target her. Dd and I were able to have a discusion about the characters and the decisions they made. It was really great.

Can anyone recommend any similar-type movies? My library does have some videos/dvds that deal directly with how to address these issues (How to stand up to bullying, etc,), but this doesnt work as well for my daughter. Thanks!

lalasmama
03-28-2010, 12:47 AM
I know you were trying to avoid American Girl, but.... the morals/lessons in their books and movies are hard to beat! They also have some "tween" and young teen books that I have saved away for Lala (one about general tween issues [bodily changes, friendships, changing schools, etc], and one about puberty) because of how much I like how/what they say.

Other than that, we do Veggie Tales; I'm not sure if they sell the secular ones shown on NBC or not.

JustMe
03-28-2010, 12:54 AM
Oh, no, I meant I *was* trying to avoid American Girl (as in the past tense)...but I was pretty convinced that I should not do that anymore once dd and I watched Chrissa Stands Strong together...just looking for some more variety, and if anyone has any specific American Girl titles that are particularly good/relevent that would be great as well!

AnnieW625
03-28-2010, 01:02 AM
I also like Veggie Tales even though it is Christian based. I also like the morals and what happens in the Backyardigans, but that is more preschoolish. Oh what about the movie from the early 90s, The Land Before Time? That was always a favorite of the kids I nannied for.

funda62
03-28-2010, 02:34 AM
I'll be watching this thread. We don't do Veggie Tales or other religious videos in our house.

sariana
03-28-2010, 02:43 AM
If you can handle crying your eyes out, Bridge to Terabithia deals with being proud of who you are, standing up to bullies (and understanding where they're coming from), valuing your family, and forging friendships against the odds.

I remember that the movie got some flak when it came out, but I thought it was pretty true to the book. Both make me bawl every time, though.

JustMe
03-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Thanks, for the suggestions! Anything else? We won't be doing veggie tales here either.