PDA

View Full Version : What to buy an almost 2 year old girl with wad of cash?

ahrimie
03-28-2010, 03:23 AM
My brother generously gave us $300 to spend on DD for Christmas.. but I can't think of anything to get her, so we haven't.

Things we already have:

-big plastic toy kitchen (but does not get too much play... the doors are too hard for her to open). Bought on CL, maybe I should resell it..
-play food
-learning home
-pottery barn table/chair set
-push wagon
-plastic doll stroller (kind of a walker for smaller kids)
-plastic shopping cart
-madame alexander doll (sooo ugly and scary looking but it was a gift)
-many stuffed animals
-2 ride on toys (little "cars" to ride around on--not like a cozy coupe)
-ikea art easel
-and lots of just little/smaller toys

The only toy I've really bought for her is the table/chair set. All of the other big toys were pretty much a gift and a couple I found on CL.

Ideas, pleaseeeee?? :wink2:

citymama
03-28-2010, 03:42 AM
How about putting most of it into a college savings account or bank account contribution? That is a very generous wad of cash for a 2 yr old, and it sounds like you're finding ways to make it go a long way!

With what you have left over past the savings, I would consider a balance bike or good quality, lightweight trike. Or if she has enough ride-on toys, then maybe a wooden toy barn with some wooden animals. Or some dress-up clothes and a dress-up box! What a nice uncle!

sariana
03-28-2010, 03:42 AM
Do you have a yard? My DC both LOVE the playhouse Costco has right now. DS begs me to get it. We have the room but no way to get it home, and DH won't consider it unless it is "landscaped" into the yard as part of some grand plan. :rolleye0014:

What about a train table set?

We usually put large monetary gifts into the college funds.

TwinFoxes
03-28-2010, 07:20 AM
I would probably lean toward a 529 college savings plan. If not, have you considered a Learning Tower? A lot of people (me included!) love ours. I got mine second hand though. You will eventually be able to sell yours for a good chunk of what you buy it for.

Melbel
03-28-2010, 08:02 AM
How generous of your brother. I would consider the following:

Portraits w/ a professional photographer (you could send one to your brother with a thank you note)
A nice wagon
plasma car
cozy coupe
train table
sand/water table
picnic table
baby pool and sprinkler toys (this is a great age for playing in the yard and keeping cool in the summer)
A nicer looking doll (DD2 loves her Corelle Calin doll)
Doll furniture (i.e. Kidcraft cradle, high chair)
A special piece of jewelery (perhaps an engraved bracelet, necklace w/ cross)

I think investing in a 529 plan is a great idea so long as your brother doesn't mind that you did not spend it all on gifts.

Melaine
03-28-2010, 08:14 AM
Learning Tower or Tripp Trapp.

vludmilla
03-28-2010, 08:22 AM
I second the notion of putting it into savings for her and maybe write her a note about it for when she is older so that she knows her uncle was generous.

blisstwins
03-28-2010, 08:32 AM
college
photos
a class

ahrimie
03-28-2010, 12:27 PM
How about putting most of it into a college savings account or bank account contribution? That is a very generous wad of cash for a 2 yr old, and it sounds like you're finding ways to make it go a long way!

With what you have left over past the savings, I would consider a balance bike or good quality, lightweight trike. Or if she has enough ride-on toys, then maybe a wooden toy barn with some wooden animals. Or some dress-up clothes and a dress-up box! What a nice uncle!

Sorry, let me clarify. The listed toys are just what we already had prior to uncle's generous gift.

We also have a Tripp Trapp and Learning Tower. Her uncle makes separate contributions for college too; I'd deposit whatever is left in her account though. Bachelor uncles are great!! :)

sariana
03-28-2010, 12:48 PM
What about a Lane chest, or something similar? For now it could be place to store all those toys, later it could store bedding or clothing, and even later it could become an heirloom.

wellyes
03-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Sounds like your DD has a lot of toys already plus LT and TT -- trust me, I'm the same way. I'd no question without hesitation go the 529 route.

If you want to buy something physical, maybe a Trofast system at IKEA (if you don't have one) like this one: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29857351 It's really useful, it's something cool you can show that you spent the money on, and you'll still have more than 1/2 left to put towards college savings.

ourbabygirl
03-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Yeah, I echo to put half into savings and use the other half for fun stuff.
I think a class for the two of you (like pp mentioned) would be awesome; also I think a fun outdoor toy would be great for the spring and summer. A sand & water table and little climber/ slide toy would be fun. Does she need any books?

ahrimie
03-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Sounds like your DD has a lot of toys already plus LT and TT -- trust me, I'm the same way. I'd no question without hesitation go the 529 route.

Haha, she seems to have lots of little toys (toys that don't take up much space and also, more babyish toys) and we have the shelf and bins from Target... so I thought we'd get her some toddlerish toys or a big toy. Ideally, I don't want anything furniture size like a train table (which is what I initially wanted to buy her...) because she already has the Large Catalina PBK table and our real coffee table serves as her activity table too.

She loves slides and climbing toys when we're at someone else's house but I wouldn't like to put it in our family room that is already housing all of her other toys.

For sure, some will go in the 529. Right now, she only has a savings account but we met with a banker to turn that into a 529. I hope my brother never gets married!!! :P (half kidding)

ahrimie
03-28-2010, 02:28 PM
How generous of your brother. I would consider the following:

Portraits w/ a professional photographer (you could send one to your brother with a thank you note)
A nice wagon
plasma car
cozy coupe
train table
sand/water table
picnic table
baby pool and sprinkler toys (this is a great age for playing in the yard and keeping cool in the summer)
A nicer looking doll (DD2 loves her Corelle Calin doll)
Doll furniture (i.e. Kidcraft cradle, high chair)
A special piece of jewelery (perhaps an engraved bracelet, necklace w/ cross)

I think investing in a 529 plan is a great idea so long as your brother doesn't mind that you did not spend it all on gifts.

Plasma Car sounds awesome!! I've seen them from a friend's video... do they work on carpeted areas too? Half the downstairs is hardwood and half carpet in our house.

chozen
03-28-2010, 06:06 PM
What about a Lane chest, or something similar? For now it could be place to store all those toys, later it could store bedding or clothing, and even later it could become an heirloom.

i think this is a great idea.

salsah
03-28-2010, 06:39 PM
i'm more of the save it rather than spend it just to spend it type. but if her uncle will be happy knowing that it was spent on something for her to enjoy now (since he already makes contributions to her college fund), i might spend it on a play structure (if you have a back yard), bike (tricycle, balance bike, plasma car, etc.), other outdoor toys (you didn't mention any), classes or children's museum membership, books (and a book shelf), magnatiles (hugely popular here but so expensive that dh and i can't bring ourselves to buy them) . . .

DrSally
03-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Magnatiles, M&D has a nice metal shopping cart for $50. PBK anywhere chair, Some soft of sand/water table (we have a cool sink where the water flows with a battery operated pump). I like the 529 idea too. What a nice Uncle. We used to give gifts like that to our neice/nephew before we had our own home and kids.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-29-2010, 12:56 AM
I would do an experience and save the rest.Gymnastic, dance class, etc.
I dream of getting DD Grimm's Spiel toys like these. (http://www.finewoodentoys.com/pro445790.html)

NewMom2007
03-29-2010, 01:52 AM
I would buy a membership (or renew a membership) to the zoo/aquarium/garden/children's museum, whatever activity DD would like. Then I would buy something for the summer - probably a bike/trike/scooter. That will get lots of use and her uncle can hang out with her while she plays with it.

I dream of getting DD Grimm's Spiel toys like these. (http://www.finewoodentoys.com/pro445790.html)

Just a side note - I lucked out on an MDC co-op a few years back (I don't think they have them anymore) and got this plus the rainbow boxes and few other gift items at a pretty steep discount. :love5: the rainbow! It is so durable and gorgeous. And gets played with a lot by DS and everyone who comes to visit! I highly recommend this.

ahrimie
03-29-2010, 06:45 AM
i think this is a great idea.

http://www.lanefurniture.com/Furniture/ProductDetails/default.aspx?ItemID=234632

Is this the kind of Lane Chest you ladies are referring to? Never heard of them or seen anyone with one.... :bag: Am I just a country-bumkin??

wellyes
03-29-2010, 07:09 AM
Is this the kind of Lane Chest you ladies are referring to? Never heard of them or seen anyone with one.... :bag: Am I just a country-bumkin??

That made me smile..... Lane chests aren't some hip urban thing, they're really really old-fashioned. My mom got one when she was a girl. Back in those days they called it a "hope chest" (aka place to keep linens for your "dowry"). I'm sure some young ladies still use them that way, but others just use it for memorabilia. Or for what it really is, a well-made cedar storage chest.

ahrimie
03-29-2010, 07:10 AM
that made me smile..... Lane chests aren't some hip urban thing, they're really really old-fashioned. My mom got one when she was a girl. Back in those days they called it a "hope chest" (aka place to keep linens for your "dowry"). I'm sure some young ladies still use them that way, but others just use it for memorabilia. Or for what it really is, a well-made cedar storage chest.

:rotflmao:

Melbel
03-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Plasma Car sounds awesome!! I've seen them from a friend's video... do they work on carpeted areas too? Half the downstairs is hardwood and half carpet in our house.

The plasma car would not work on carpet and you have to be careful on hardwoods (may dent floors). Both DD1 (8.5) and DD2 (almost 2) love the plasma car. We primarily use ours outside.

Seitvonzu
03-29-2010, 08:47 AM
just a heads up if you take up the metal shopping cart suggestion-- the M&D one is on barnes and noble for 45% off-- right around 25 dollars? -- it's part of their "spring sale" (i may or may not have ordered the food groups and the sandwich set.... for, uh, lucy, right ;)

if we didn't already have a shopping cart from target, i'd be ordering this- it's so stinkin cute!

i LOVE those rainbow arches...i've been trying to order them forever and can never bring myself to do it :). i've been sitting on a visa giftcard we got when we bought our oven and it's just about the right amount ($75)-- but i have to figure out how to order with the checkcard and then pay for the rest with another card. i think i'll look into that during naptime today. i want to get something "special" instead of just frittering the money away on little things. i'm glad to see the positive reviews! belle you should take the plunge too! rainbow arches for all! :)

ahrimie
03-29-2010, 02:45 PM
So, what does the rainbow arch do? It just stacks behind one another... like stacking cups just horizontally? It does look really beautiful though...

calv
03-29-2010, 02:52 PM
I'd put most of away for college. She'll thank you later :D

I do like the photo's idea.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-29-2010, 04:41 PM
So, what does the rainbow arch do? It just stacks behind one another... like stacking cups just horizontally? It does look really beautiful though...

Here is a link with pics. (http://www.grimms.eu/en/include.php?path=content/news.php&contentid=21)
They are heirloom quality and Made in German.I also love the water, flowe and fire stackers, and monte carlo blocks.
For DD"s B-day debating between Magntiles and the Rainbow.No family really sends her money or gifts (besides $50 from my Aunt), so we buy most everything for her.

AnnieW625
03-29-2010, 05:31 PM
I would buy a plasma car (or Skitter) as DD loves hers, and maybe a play kitchen she might actually use like this one (it's on our wish list for DD): Nova Toys Christina Kitchen, http://www.novanatural.com/toys/christinas-kitchen

Sweetum
03-29-2010, 06:16 PM
How about putting most of it into a college savings account or bank account contribution?
:yeahthat:

-SunshineAndMe

ljackson
03-31-2010, 11:16 AM
A big girl bed or other furniture?

Melaine
03-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Here is a link with pics. (http://www.grimms.eu/en/include.php?path=content/news.php&contentid=21)
They are heirloom quality and Made in German.I also love the water, flowe and fire stackers, and monte carlo blocks.
For DD"s B-day debating between Magntiles and the Rainbow.No family really sends her money or gifts (besides $50 from my Aunt), so we buy most everything for her.

I've seen the set, but never those photos. They are gorgeous....totally drool-worthy!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-31-2010, 12:09 PM
I've seen the set, but never those photos. They are gorgeous....totally drool-worthy!

So cool. My FIL is from Germany so we have an affinity for German stuff. I can see having it on a shelf in DD's room as she gets older, too. Toys that are pretty enough to be art are def. drool-worthy. I *wish* they went on sale!!!!

I had DD trying to type when I wrote the above quote and now see typos!:bag: We need a NAK alternative, TWT=Typing with Toddler!

kochh2
03-31-2010, 08:37 PM
We have been building a pearl necklace for DD since she was born- google "add a pearl" necklaces- together they cost than buying a string of pearls outright, but you can start her off with the money you have, and then have family purchase pearls instead of more "Stuff" when you are feeling like she has too much stuff LOL... Pearls are about $35 or so a pc, depending on the size, jeweler, etc... but it'd be a good start... and a priceless heirloom when complete!!

hillview
03-31-2010, 08:51 PM
How about a museum membership or an art class (you could send DU some of what she makes) or something? You could buy her summer/winter wardrobe. Magnatiles are MASSIVE hit here. They last and last. I just got another 100 (3rd set) for DSs to use. We've had them for 3 years and no sign of losing their value. Do you need another car seat for her? Books?

It is super nice of her uncle to do this!
/hillary

hellokitty
03-31-2010, 08:52 PM
I woudl just put the $ into her savings acct.

elephantmeg
04-01-2010, 01:18 PM
We have been building a pearl necklace for DD since she was born- google "add a pearl" necklaces- together they cost than buying a string of pearls outright, but you can start her off with the money you have, and then have family purchase pearls instead of more "Stuff" when you are feeling like she has too much stuff LOL... Pearls are about $35 or so a pc, depending on the size, jeweler, etc... but it'd be a good start... and a priceless heirloom when complete!!

my grandma did this for each of us grand-girls and is now doing it with DD. It is so nice! I plan on turning mine over to her when she is 16 (other girl's moms added to theirs so they had a nice string-I have about 16 and a lot of chain-I'd rather her have a fuller string. She already has 9 pearls!