PDA

View Full Version : FB question- say it isn't so!

SummerBaby
03-28-2010, 07:48 AM
A friend of mine just told me it's possible to register to be e-mailed every time someone searches for you on FB. Is this true?? I'm ashamed to admit I've been a little nosy lately and if someone I searched got an e-mail I searched for them, I would be beyond mortified!!! Yikes, I just want to crawl into a hole thinking about it!! Does anyone know if it's true, and if it is, have you done it??

SnuggleBuggles
03-28-2010, 08:21 AM
Guess it helps that I usually just search though possible mutual friends' friend lists to find the people I want to find! Or I search through a particular group, like schools. Can't track that. ;)

Never heard of that though.

Beth

Melaine
03-28-2010, 08:23 AM
It better be a lie. I've searched for my ex boyfriend too many times to count, but ONLY because I'm a snoop and want to know what he's up to. Also, I think it is weird he isn't on facebook yet (I mean, who isn't?). Seriously, if he knew I had looked he could get totally the wrong idea.

SnuggleBuggles
03-28-2010, 08:34 AM
It better be a lie. I've searched for my ex boyfriend too many times to count, but ONLY because I'm a snoop and want to know what he's up to. Also, I think it is weird he isn't on facebook yet (I mean, who isn't?). Seriously, if he knew I had looked he could get totally the wrong idea.

That's who I search for too and still haven't seen him. I even friended this one guy that we both knew because the one friend is a friend collector with 600+ people. I thought if he would be anywhere he would be there!

Beth

wendibird22
03-28-2010, 09:07 AM
From what I've heard/read there are a bunch of bogus FB applications that claim to show you who has been searching for you but really they are just fake apps aimed at getting access to your profile so that they can spam you with targeted ads.

truly scrumptious
03-28-2010, 10:43 AM
From what I've heard/read there are a bunch of bogus FB applications that claim to show you who has been searching for you but really they are just fake apps aimed at getting access to your profile so that they can spam you with targeted ads.

I agree with this. One of my "friends" tagged me in an app - "Who views your profile the most" and I came up as number three on the list of folks viewing her profile. I have looked at her profile exactly once, which was about 6 months ago when she sent me her friend invite. We're old school classmates and I never check out her profile, so I'm convinced the app conned her into tagging a bunch of her friends so it could spam them.

A lot of facebook apps are getting very sneaky and install themselves in your profile if a friend tags you, or you comment on a friend's post, etc. I go into my profile settings regularly and uninstall any new apps which sneaked on.

GGrn
03-28-2010, 10:52 AM

:yeahthat: This is the likely case. Same with the stalker app that was popular a while back claiming you could see how often your fb friends visited your profile.

MMMommy
03-28-2010, 12:24 PM
:47::47:

I would die of embarrassment if that were the case. It better not be possible!

lalasmama
03-28-2010, 12:41 PM

:yeahthat: :bag:

I searched for multiple ex-boyfriends when I started on FB, just to see what happened to the ones I don't keep in touch with. "The One That Got Away" wasn't on FB. With my recent breakup, I wanted to snoop again. He's there now. He was really really "cute" at 19 when we dated. Now, at 30, wow, I would not complain looking at that face for the rest of my life! He's still just as gorgeous, but done with puberty now! :rotflmao: So, after searching for him and finding him, I had to tell my best friend about it.... so I had to search him again to show her..... I'm looking kinda stalker-ish if he's getting emails about this!

JustMe
03-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Everything I have read tells me that this is not true, but oh, I would be in big trouble too if it were true. I have an account, but dont use it (I have only one "friend" who is battling cancer, so I have an account to check in on his updatesbut I have not added more friends)/ I have checked others' friends list various times...mostly because I am always trying to decide if I want/need to do more on facebook.

Globetrotter
03-28-2010, 07:55 PM
That would be highly embarrassing, but I'm sure it's a false claim. Better be, for our sakes!!

SummerBaby
03-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Phew. You've all made me feel better. And I'm glad I'm not the only nosy one out there! :)

BabyMine
03-28-2010, 08:34 PM
I keep noticing on my friends photo pages they have a dated photo collage of everyone that has seen their facebook site on a certain date.

Jenny_A
03-28-2010, 11:28 PM
No, it's not true! You cannot tell if someone has clicked on you or searched for you or if you've searched or clicked on someone else on Facebook. First of all, it would take an incredible amount of storage space to keep track of all of that on Facebook's servers. Secondly, Facebook greatly values their own privacy policy and they would really hurt if that policy was ever broken. It's what draws people in to Facebook... you can search out that ex-boyfriend and nobody knows about it. They know this.

I have received something saying that like 4 people had searched for me on the Internet and I just had to click here to find out who. Well, I clicked, and they wanted money to tell me anything else. No thanks! I'm fairly certain they can't really tell and it's some sort of scam.

Breathe easy! Ex-boyfriend is oblivious you've been stalking him ;). But, chances are, if you've clicked on him, he's clicked on you too!

Jenny_A
03-28-2010, 11:31 PM
I keep noticing on my friends photo pages they have a dated photo collage of everyone that has seen their facebook site on a certain date.

Are you sure on this one? I have not seen that. I've seen calendars that put people's pictures where their birthday is and collages of their friends in general. Can anyone else confirm this one? What's the app name on it?

DietCokeLover
03-29-2010, 07:04 AM
I go into my profile settings regularly and uninstall any new apps which sneaked on.

how do you do this?

BabyMine
03-29-2010, 09:02 AM
Are you sure on this one? I have not seen that. I've seen calendars that put people's pictures where their birthday is and collages of their friends in general. Can anyone else confirm this one? What's the app name on it?

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs364.snc3/23475_408390265897_791365897_5089213_6859827_s.jpg

This is on a couple of my friend's photo page. Now when I click on it I get the message that the app is unavailable. When it did work I could click on a photo and it would tell me the person's name and take me to their FB page.

Jenny_A
03-29-2010, 05:46 PM
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs364.snc3/23475_408390265897_791365897_5089213_6859827_s.jpg

This is on a couple of my friend's photo page. Now when I click on it I get the message that the app is unavailable. When it did work I could click on a photo and it would tell me the person's name and take me to their FB page.

I just went on Facebook and tried to find this app and couldn't get it to come up. I searched all of my friend's apps and one friend had one that said, "Who has been peeping my profile?" I clicked on it and it said "Unavailable" and the app looked like it had been shut down.

I still stand by that this can't be done and, if it can, Facebook is not going to allow it because of their privacy policy. I think if there was an app or a program that could do it, it would make the national headlines because it would be THAT big of a deal.

I'm wondering if that picture collage kept track of people who wrote on that friend's wall. Because in order to write on someone's wall, you have to go to their profile. I just can't imagine the space it would take to keep track of all of the simple clicks to someone's profile.

If you have a blog, i know you can capture the IP address of someone who clicked on your blog and how long they stayed but it doesn't give their name. I've seen nothing close to this on Facebook.