PDA

View Full Version : why are husbands such babies...

♥ms.pacman♥
03-28-2010, 09:39 AM
..when they get sick?? I mean really. My DH is great, he is pretty much a saint who does a ton of stuff around the house, doesn't work late, helps out with DS etc...however when he gets sick (as in a COLD or even <gasp> a headache) he becomes pretty much useless. as in, he lies in bed all day whining how his nose is stuffed up or this or that is uncomfortable/painful or that he is tired. :shake: argh. when he gets a cold he pretty much acts like he is at death's door, i am not kidding. i have to bring meals to him like chicken soup and give him his cold medicine because he acts like he is barely lucid enough to read the label and take the correct dosage.

it bugs me because i can have a throbbing headache (like i did earlier this week) and while i may b*tch about it, i will make it through the day nursing/caring for DS, doing laundry, just as usual. for the first month after DS was born i was getting headaches frequently due to lack of sleep (i was EBF'ing and DS was nursing pretty often) yet i pulled through anyway, because THAT"S WHAT ADULTS DO. if lied in bed incapacitated every time i got a headache or felt under the weather, my DS would have starved to death.

anyway, normally i am used to this thing with DH (he's always been a baby re: getting sick, even his mom jokes/teases him about it) but after having DS it just makes it all the more harder. i was looking forward to taking some sort of a break this weekend (during the week i care for DS during the day while DH works, weekends usually are easier since DH helps me out with diaper changes, etc), but instead i have twice the work because now i have two babies to take care of on my own. and to be quite honest, caring for DS is easier for the most part... for example last night my 11-week-old DS slept from 6pm to 3:30pm STRAIGHT (9.5 hours) without making a peep.. of course didn't get to enjoy it much or get much sleep since i had to take care of everything else on my own (cooking, dishes, cleaning up, taking out trash, other chores) and on top of that tend to a sick DH who was complaining about his stuffy nose. ARGH.

elliput
03-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Blame it on your MIL. And vow not to teach your son this is appropriate behavior. :wink2:

twowhat?
03-28-2010, 10:35 AM
That sucks:( I think that next time you have a headache you should lie "incapacitated" in bed and let your DH take care of things. That way you at least get a break while your head pounds:)

TwinFoxes
03-28-2010, 12:01 PM
I posted a very similar thread a few weeks ago:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=351429&highlight=cold

And someone gave me this link, and it MADE MY DAY! :rotflmao:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXLHWmjA5IE

Ah, the Man Cold.

boogiemomz
03-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Blame it on your MIL. And vow not to teach your son this is appropriate behavior. :wink2:

:yeahthat: my thoughts exactly. the chicken soup and constant fawning attention standard was set by the first woman in his life. and when we get sick, they don't want to come near so they don't catch it... at least that's how it is in my house. :irked:

goldenpig
03-31-2010, 12:32 PM
OP I hope your DH is better and back to his usual helpful self.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-31-2010, 12:46 PM
^ i totally know what you mean about when they help out here and there, but always are sure to add groans, sighs and make it seem like he's sooo sick and he's making such a sacrifice by helping you out. :rolleyes: like while i was laboring at home with DS for already 18 hrs and my DH complained he was tired of coaching me thru the contractions and that he needed to take a "break" and nap for a bit. um, yeah wish i could "take a break" too. lol

anyway, yeah my DH is doing better now...on Monday i made him take the day off and go to the doctor. he didn't want to cuz he said he had so much work to do etc. but i said he had to go because i knew he was just going to get worse if he went into work and i didnt' want to have to deal with that. anyway the doctor said he had a sinus infection and prescribed meds, antibiotics etc and gave him a steroid injection (DH has bad allergies, and right now the pollen level is through the roof, so that is likely how it all started). anyway, DH started feeling a bit better after that, and later he thanked me for making him take the day off and see a doctor. so funny, i'm have to act like his mommy. sigh.

and yeah i agree boys like to get babied by their moms a lot, i guess how it all starts. i just indulge my DH because he's set in his ways and there's no changing him at this point. i think a lot of it has to do with personality as well... my DH is sort of a drama king. i don't think my DS will as needy though..so far he seems pretty independent (doesn't really like to be held, often plays alone in his crib, etc).

and about the Man Cold video..yeah i had seen that..hilarious! "poor little bunny".

goldenpig
03-31-2010, 01:09 PM
deleted...