PDA

View Full Version : Safety Wrist Strap for Stroller?

MariP
03-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Hi,

After many months researching strollers I bought a Micralite Toro as my main stroller. I live in the Boston area and needed a somewhat lightweight stroller that could handle less than perfect city sidewalks. DD was born a month ago and the other day we went for our first stroll (using the car seat with the adapter). So far I love the stroller, but do not feel very confident dealing with the hills near my home. I know that many jogger strollers come with safety wrist straps to prevent letting go of the stroller by accident. However, I have researched online and cannot find such straps being sold separately. Any suggestions??
TIA
Mari

oceana
03-29-2010, 07:39 PM
I've have used 3 strollers with a wrist strap (bee, bob and baby jogger), and in all honesty, I NEVER ever used the strap. My dh actually said, they are quite annoying and get in your way :)
Which means, that there's probably not much demand for these to be sold separately. On the other hand, this is nothing more than just a thick fabric strap, similar to what you have on your backpack, or on parts of a stroller. If you think you need one, just in case, you can go to a store that sells camping and climbing equipment, I'm sure they can recommend something. ( REI, or moosejaw - online).

I have lived in Boston for 8 years, recently moved to 'burbs. There was one particularly steep hill next to our last apartment. It was the short way to get to a specific playground. I just went slowly. Sometimes I'd tip the stroller backwards, so that it was rolling on backwheels only, and I seemed to have better control of it. When sidewalks were slippery, I used the longer way around, to avoid that particular hill. At that time, I already had the baby jogger, but never used the strap. I actually was afraid that if I rely on it too much, it might tear and the stroller rolls away! (I had a very big and heavy kid, plus some groceries in the basket, plus weight of stroller - heavy package!)

I felt completely safe and in control on all other hills :)

BTW, I was eying Micralite toro for quite a while, and am just lusting over it, but it seems such a rare stroller, nobody has it... I wonder why? It seems to have it all (or almost all). How do you like yours?
I've seen a good deal on a toro at a local store, but can't decide...

MariP
03-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Hi oceana,
Thanks for your response. Your comments about the strap make a lot of sense, I will try to get something to use as a safety strap just for my peace of mind (I am a new mommy after all)..
So far I love my micralite toro. I do not understand either why I do not see more of them around. I think it is perfect if you need a stroller that is not that heavy and has air tires (back tires). The stroller maneuvers great and has a very easy fold. I bought it as my main stroller. Eventually when DS is older, we will buy a maclaren quest for our umbrella stroller.

happyturtles
03-30-2010, 06:26 PM
I don't use the safety strap on my Bee, but I definitely DO use the strap with my Valco tri-mode. I'm usually using the Bee indoors or on flat terrain. I use my AT stroller for the hills and I feel much safer and in more control of the stroller with the strap on.

I have read that some mom's just make their own straps. They get a sturdy material and sew one end around the handle and sew a loop around other end to loop over the wrist.

MamaBear
03-31-2010, 12:48 AM
If I ever get a chance to get out to buy some webbing/strap material, I'm going to make one for my Mutsy. I often use the strap on my Bug, and really miss it on the Mutsy. Especially when going down hills - that thing is heavy and I'm afraid it'll get away from me!

PRmommy
03-31-2010, 04:43 PM
At lunch today I saw a mom pushing a BJ Summit. While waiting for the light to change to cross the street I watched her stop, put her foot on the rear wheel, let go of the stroller and fix her hair. Keep in mind that the sidewalk was graded downward so the stroller could have easily rolled into the street. All this while the safety strap just swung loosely from the handlebar. (ay yi yi)