PDA

View Full Version : Cake for a morning b-day party?

jent
03-28-2010, 02:30 PM
So, we will be having DD's bday party in a month, and we've booked the local Children's Museum for 10-11:30 am. Even though it's morning, I would still like to do a cake for DD and sing "Happy Birthday". Somehow, it just doesn't seem right to me to put a candle in a doughnut or a muffin. I think I would have other breakfast-y type foods too (like a selection of fresh fruit and muffins) but I just feel like we need the token bit of cake.

So what do you think? If you were attending the party, would you be annoyed that your kid was served cake in the morning?

Of course I will put something like "cake and refreshments will be served" on the invite.

pinkmomagain
03-28-2010, 02:37 PM
I am an easy, go with the flow type. I'd have no problem with my child having birthday cake at 11:00 or so in the morning. Every morning? No. For a birthday party? Yes.

SnuggleBuggles
03-28-2010, 03:00 PM
I did bagels and other breakfast foods for ds2's party then served cake. Same hours you are planning. It doesn't seem like a party w/o cake to me. :)

Beth

TwoBees
03-28-2010, 03:05 PM
I think for a birthday party it is fine. If you wanted to stick with the breakfast theme, you could do coffee cake with icing on top, you can write Happy Birthday in colored icing gel on top of the white icing. Or cook cinnamon buns (like the Pillsbury ones from a can) next to each other in a square or rectangle dish, so that they touch when the rise, and cover in icing and decorate.

infomama
03-28-2010, 03:06 PM
At that time I would go with more mid morning food/snack food rather than breakfast. At 10, 10:30 my dds want a snack and it usually is some cheese, fruit or the like. How about a nice fruit/cheese and cracker platter. Maybe some pepperoni or little rolled meats for protein.

Oh and I would have cake, for sure!!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Yeah, cupcakes/cake are fine, expected even! We went to a b-day yesterday and they had carrot cake muffins, the kids weren't thrilled....

newg
03-28-2010, 03:58 PM
what about a carrot cake? My mom has an awesome recipie that has orange slices in it and shaved carrots.....then you could still do regular icing on it to make it look like a birthday cake, but it would be a little "lighter".

crl
03-28-2010, 04:03 PM
I would be fine with cake at a morning party--it's a birthday party, you know!

Catherine

sunshine873
03-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Definitely serve cake. I would expect cake at a birthday party - any time of day.

JoyNChrist
03-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Absolutely have a cake! It's not a party without cake. ;)

Maybe a lighter flavor though like a strawberry or lemon cake with whipped cream icing?

Indianamom2
03-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Have your cake. I would be absolutely 100% fine with it. It's your kid's birthday...do what you like.

bubbaray
03-28-2010, 04:55 PM
My kids would be completely heartbroken if they went to a b-day party at any time of the day and did NOT get cake. Then again, they normally start their b-day off with cake for breakfast, courtesy of DH's crazy family traditions.

jent
03-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks guys! Cake it is!

jenstring95
03-29-2010, 12:54 AM
Thanks guys! Cake it is!

Good for you! We have been to 2 birthday parties that started at 9am(!). They were both at jump places, and they both served bagged snacks (chips, animal crackers) and cake! It's a little funny to eat cake before lunch, but a birthday party just isn't a birthday party without cake! Plus, I think the kids really enjoy the "backward-ness" of it all. It's a special treat, in more ways than one!

klwa
03-29-2010, 06:45 AM
I can't imagine NOT having cake at a party, regardless of time. :) But, I also fixed brownies for our church social yesterday that started at 10:30, so, maybe I'm not a good roel model. :)

sewarsh
03-29-2010, 08:53 AM
Absolutley need a cake!
If you write it on the invite, than anyone with a problem with it can stay home.