PDA

View Full Version : S/O Egg Dyeing (silk dyed eggs)

jerigirl
03-28-2010, 03:07 PM
http://www.ourbestbites.com/2008/03/silk-dyed-eggs.html
I saw this last year (maybe here??) and bookmarked it for this year.

dotgirl
03-28-2010, 03:40 PM
That looks amazing! I wonder if I can get DH to try that this year!

crl
03-28-2010, 04:07 PM
That is awesome. Thanks!

Catherine

lalasmama
03-28-2010, 05:17 PM
My Martha-type best friend invited us over for Easter... my eggs are gonna look better than her's for the first time! :yay: :boogie:

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
03-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Ok, I went to the Goodwill and all the silk ties were the most depressing non- Easter colors. I wonder if this would work with regular silk fabric from JoAnn's. Just a smidge of a yard would be enough....

MolieMuts
03-28-2010, 06:50 PM
We did this a few years ago and they were very unique looking. If I remember correctly, you will want to use the darker, bolder colors because they come out better. The one I remember the most was a dark maroon and navy blue diamond pattern that looked really cool, it came out pink and light blue with an intricate pattern.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
03-28-2010, 07:55 PM
We did this a few years ago and they were very unique looking. If I remember correctly, you will want to use the darker, bolder colors because they come out better. The one I remember the most was a dark maroon and navy blue diamond pattern that looked really cool, it came out pink and light blue with an intricate pattern.

Ahhhh, good to know the dark ones come out lighter, thanks!

MamaKath
03-28-2010, 08:17 PM
Ahhhh, good to know the dark ones come out lighter, thanks!
The ones from Goodwill might work out well. :)

You can also make beautiful ones by boiling them with onion skins and (seperate ones) in blueberry pie filling. The onion ones turn a beautiful brown and the blueberry ones are a deep, dark blue.

Jo..
03-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Wow those are so, so beautiful. HMMM. I wonder if I feel a GW trip coming on.

crl
03-28-2010, 08:21 PM
The ones from Goodwill might work out well. :)

You can also make beautiful ones by boiling them with onion skins and (seperate ones) in blueberry pie filling. The onion ones turn a beautiful brown and the blueberry ones are a deep, dark blue.

You can get a nice yellow from tumeric and a pale green from spinach too.

Catherine

lalasmama
03-28-2010, 08:53 PM
I went to GW to get some ties to do this... $2.99-3.99 per tie!!! YIKES! They didn't have any great ones, so going to go to Value Village tomorrow at lunch and try again.

Anyone have any idea if apple cider vinegar will work? That's all we have at home :-/

elizabethkott
03-28-2010, 09:54 PM
These are so freakin' cool!!!!!

Jo..
03-28-2010, 09:56 PM
I think I might send out an ugly tie alert to my relatives. Gosh knows, they have them!

crl
03-30-2010, 10:20 PM
Well we did it! I think it was a moderate success. I didn't get the patterns to transfer as exactly as in the pictures, but they are pretty! And it was easy and not even slightly messy. Mine mostly turned out pretty pale in comparision to the original tie, so I'd go for the dark ties if you want bright colors.

On a slightly amusing side note, DH now has one of my Goodwill ties. He declined to donate any of his ties to my experiment so I went to Goodwill. I was grumbling to myself becuase they were $3.49(!) per tie. I decided I could get two eggs from each tie and went ahead and bought 4 ties. Well, DH saw them and said, "that's a $400 tie. And it's never even been tied." I told him he could have it if he'd trade me one of his. He went right to his closet and brought me one to trade. Think we should go tie shopping at Goodwill more often.

Catherine

ETA: Oh and I got 13 eggs out of my 4 ties--one of them had a contrasting silk lining that I was able to use, plus three eggs out of each tie.