PDA

View Full Version : Sending a package from home, what are my options?

jgenie
03-28-2010, 05:16 PM
I have a package I need to send out but am really hoping to avoid going to drop it off. What are my options for home pickup? Is there a way to send it USPS from home? How about UPS? TIA

SnuggleBuggles
03-28-2010, 05:33 PM
USPS is easy if you can weigh it. I have a kitchen scale that goes up to 5lbs and many things are under that. If it's heavier you can use a real scale. I have sometimes just guessed and guessed high. You can print your label from home and schedule pick up. Easy.

Beth

KrisM
03-28-2010, 06:03 PM
You can print for USPS via Click and Ship from usps.com or from Paypal.

You can print UPS from Paypal, but I can not remember how I set that up.

I print FedEx from the fedex.com website and it goes to my credit card.

For USPS, if it's Priority or Express, you can schedule it to be picked up at your house. If it's First Clas, Parcel Post, or Media Mail, you can only have it picked up if they're already picking up Priority or Express. They don't pick the lower services up on their own.

For all, you can print on plain paper and cut it out and tape it to your package.

fattytuna
03-28-2010, 06:40 PM
You can print UPS from Paypal, but I can not remember how I set that up.

Click on the following link. Login. Choose USPS or UPS.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

KrisM
03-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Click on the following link. Login. Choose USPS or UPS.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

Well, mine is set up now, but a few years ago, I had to add UPS as an option, I thought. Will the above work if you've never shipped UPS before? I seem to remember making an account, etc. with UPS to be able to use it. But, it's been a while and my memory is fuzzy :).

jerigirl
03-28-2010, 07:56 PM
I think FEDEX will charge for a pick up unless you have a regularly scheduled (ie. weekly) pick up. I think it is $12. Not sure about the others. I don't ever use UPS.

You have to have a weight to create a USPS label, FE will charge based on what the dimensions/wt are when they scan the pkg into the system (so you can just guess when you create the label), not sure about UPS. Typically I have found for pkgs over about 4 lbs. FE is cheaper than USPS.

wellyes
03-28-2010, 08:53 PM
For USPS anything above 13 (14?) oz must be dropped off at a post office branch per post-911 security regulations.

I usually ship USPS through paypal, I'm just used to it (even when I ship things w/o a paypal payment these days). I like that delivery confirmation is always there. But I assume that's an option using the USPS site too.

DebbieJ
03-28-2010, 10:06 PM
For USPS, if it's Priority or Express, you can schedule it to be picked up at your house. If it's First Clas, Parcel Post, or Media Mail, you can only have it picked up if they're already picking up Priority or Express. They don't pick the lower services up on their own.

For all, you can print on plain paper and cut it out and tape it to your package.

Yes, they do. Just leave it out where you would leave outgoing mail and they'll take it. At least my carrier always does.

For USPS anything above 13 (14?) oz must be dropped off at a post office branch per post-911 security regulations.

I usually ship USPS through paypal, I'm just used to it (even when I ship things w/o a paypal payment these days). I like that delivery confirmation is always there. But I assume that's an option using the USPS site too.

That is true only of STAMPED items. If you print a label on USPS and it's over 13 oz, you can leave it out for your carrier or put it in a drop box. I do it all the time.

When you ship Priority via USPS.com, delivery confirmation is free, just like Paypal.

wellyes
03-29-2010, 07:19 AM
That is true only of STAMPED items. If you print a label on USPS and it's over 13 oz, you can leave it out for your carrier or put it in a drop box. I do it all the time.

Huh. Paypal won't let you - maybe time to start using the USPS service after all!

pastrygirl
03-29-2010, 08:32 AM
My local PO won't pick up anything over 13 ounces. I always print at home, and just drop it off at the PO. Sometimes they let me skip other people in line since all I have to do is hand it to them.

DebbieJ
03-29-2010, 09:17 AM
My local PO won't pick up anything over 13 ounces. I always print at home, and just drop it off at the PO. Sometimes they let me skip other people in line since all I have to do is hand it to them.

I have a home based business and send things that are over 13 oz quite regularly, so I specifically asked at my PO and they said that if I had printed a label from USPS.com or Paypal, it was okay to leave it out or drop it in a box. They said I did NOT have to bring it in myself. I also made sure to forge a relationship with my letter carrier, so she knows me and will take anything I put out. :) She even gave me some hand me downs for the baby!

And, yes, if I'm just dropping off, I just walk right up to the counter and leave it for them. I make sure I get a clerk's attention, though, so they know it's there. Never stand in line just to drop off!

DebbieJ
03-29-2010, 09:19 AM
Huh. Paypal won't let you - maybe time to start using the USPS service after all!

Paypal won't let you do what? Request carrier pickup? You can't request pickup unless at least one package is Priority or Express service, but you CAN just leave it out by your mailbox.

fattytuna
03-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Well, mine is set up now, but a few years ago, I had to add UPS as an option, I thought. Will the above work if you've never shipped UPS before? I seem to remember making an account, etc. with UPS to be able to use it. But, it's been a while and my memory is fuzzy :).

I initially had my acct default to ship via USPS. Then one time I was shipping something large and wanted to use UPS. I forgot the exact steps but there is a setting somewhere to have the initial page show both carriers as options.

KrisM
03-29-2010, 11:07 PM
Yes, they do. Just leave it out where you would leave outgoing mail and they'll take it. At least my carrier always does.

True. I meant you can't schedule a pick up. My mailbox won't hold too much, so if I have 5 or 6 First Class boxes going out, I have to drop them at the PO, unless I have something going higher than that. I can't fit them in my mailbox and wouldn't leave them just piled on the road next to it.

KrisM
03-29-2010, 11:09 PM

That's really odd. The form you fill out online for pickup has all the options available. I regularly have 20-50 items going out and only a small percentage are under 13 ounces. I have filled a mail truck on my own - no way am I hauling it all to the PO in my car!

DebbieJ
03-29-2010, 11:59 PM
True. I meant you can't schedule a pick up. My mailbox won't hold too much, so if I have 5 or 6 First Class boxes going out, I have to drop them at the PO, unless I have something going higher than that. I can't fit them in my mailbox and wouldn't leave them just piled on the road next to it.

Ah, got it. My mailbox is right outside my front door, so I just leave my stuff on the porch and they take it. If my box was at the road, I wouldn't be able to do that.

KrisM
03-30-2010, 12:07 AM
Ah, got it. My mailbox is right outside my front door, so I just leave my stuff on the porch and they take it. If my box was at the road, I wouldn't be able to do that.

I forgot some people have boxes on their house. I used to, too :).

ETA: That if you schedule a pick up online, you can leave your packages on your porch. There is a drop-down menu to pick where your packages will be. You don't need to have a giant mailbox or a porch mailbox.

pastrygirl
03-30-2010, 07:44 AM
That's really odd. The form you fill out online for pickup has all the options available. I regularly have 20-50 items going out and only a small percentage are under 13 ounces. I have filled a mail truck on my own - no way am I hauling it all to the PO in my car!

This is a rural mail route, and until recently, they used a regular car for delivery. I think it was a space issue.

Now they have a real mail truck, so maybe I should ask again. But, they'd have to come all the way up to the house, because I won't leave things on the road. (They used to not even deliver packages -- just the pink slip! Then my husband complained.)

jgenie
03-30-2010, 11:49 PM
Thanks for all the replies - I was able to print the labels from home and schedule pick up from USPS. :cheerleader1: