PDA

View Full Version : corned beef in the crock pot?

cchavez
03-28-2010, 06:16 PM
how do I make it in a cp? also, I have never eaten it before...what does it taste like? should I use .5 seasoning packet?

s7714
03-28-2010, 06:48 PM
I always do mine in the crock pot, but the brand I always get doesn't come with a separate seasoning packet so I'm not sure about that. As for the actual cooking, I throw it in the pot, cover it with water and set it on low for 8-12 hours depending on the size. Couldn't get much easier!

ETA: Trying to think of how to describe the taste, LOL! It tends to be a little salty... Kind of like roast beef but with a saltier, peppery, vinegar/brined flavor? :shrug:

clb
03-28-2010, 06:50 PM
See this thread: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=353396&highlight=corned+beef

On St Patrick's day, I followed Jen841's directions. Came out perfect! I used the whole seasoning packet and I purchased a low sodium corned beef. As far as the taste, it is more about nostalgia than taste for me. Have you ever had pastrami? Taste is similar.

Thanks jen841 & kransden. I never thought to cook it in the crockpot. So easy.

randomkid
03-28-2010, 07:31 PM
I would get one with a separate seasoning packet. That's what I have always used until this year. I bought Crown brand (no seasoning packet) and it was so salty we couldn't eat it. Avoid that brand if at all possible. Check sodium content - I will be doing that from now on!
Buy flat cut and look for one with as little fat as possible. I always cut off the fat as this tends to be a fatty cut of meat. Be aware that the meat will reduce in size quite a bit when it's cooked. Use the whole seasoning packet. If you want veggies with it - I put carrots, potatoes and onions in the crock pot. Once meat is done, I use juice from the crock pot, add a little water and cook the cabbage wedges on the stove top. I prefer to cook the cabbage separately so it's crisper.

Babymakes3
03-28-2010, 08:05 PM
I buy mine from Sam's Club usually and I don't like adding the little packet of those balls (what are they anyway?) so I add my own seasoning and normally hot sauce, don't add very much salty seasonings though.
Then I put onions, carrots, celery and potatoes on the bottom of the crockpot and the meat goes on top. I also cut as much of the fat off as I can before cooking it.
By the time it's done it will be quite a bit smaller than it started (so if your feeding alot of people buy as much as you think will fit in your crockpot). I really like corned beef and how easily it falls apart, I could do without the stringiness of it and it getting stuck in my teeth though!