PDA

View Full Version : How to keep strawberries fresh longer?

ChefGirl
03-28-2010, 10:51 PM
We took the kids to a fruit and vegetable farm this week picking our own strawberries. We each had a bucket and ended up with 7 lbs. of strawberries. That was after me examining the kids' buckets and combined everything into two buckets. Anyway, we are actually almost done with them. I was just curious to see if anyone has any tips about how to keep them fresh longer in the frig. I don't plan to can them or anything. I just want to keep them fresh enough so DS can take them to school for his mid-afternoon snack. I've found that some of the ripe ones are starting to spoil....so I cleaned them all and laid paper towel underneath trying to get rid of the moisture.....interested in hear any other advice... We hope to go back there in a couple of weeks. Thanks.

KrisM
03-28-2010, 11:16 PM
I've always put them in a single layer in a plastic container with a paper towel on the bottom and then another paper towel on top. Don't wash them or hull them until you're going to eat them.

I recently read to put them in a glass container, but haven't tried that.

baymom
03-28-2010, 11:18 PM
I was told by a seller at my farmers market to 1) Do NOT wash them until you want to eat them. and 2)store them in a plastic container. Line the bottom of the container with a paper towel, then put in the strawberries and then put a second paper towel on top before putting the lid on. That helps catch all the moisture so that they don't ripen prematurely. I've followed these tips for years and my strawberries seem to last a week or so. Good luck!

Tondi G
03-29-2010, 01:10 AM
I always freeze any that are starting to get soft.. cut off any parts that got squished. We make smoothies fairly often cause my mom makes her own kefir. We freeze a lot of strawberries and bananas!

NewMom2007
03-29-2010, 01:44 AM
I was just commenting to DH about how awesome these storage bags (http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/177-8682918-3603132?asin=B0011TMP3Y&AFID=Froogle_df&LNM=|B0011TMP3Y&CPNG=&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001) are for fruit/veggies.

I recently bought a ton of produce and had a CSA delivery, so bought these - I think I picked them up at Whole Foods, but I've also seen them at a local co-op and at Target. They extend the life of fruit and veggies for a long time and they are re-usable. Just wash them between uses and make sure the bag is totally dry before filling up again.