PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a carpeted dining room? Please help.

mommysammi
03-28-2010, 11:00 PM
It is not an option for us to remove the carpet in the dining room of our rental. With occasional spills and accidents, I'm afraid some stains, like wine and spaghetti stains, will discolor the carpet.

I'm looking at rugs but am afraid when the rug is lifted away, there will be a permanent discoloration in the carpet. What kinds of rugs, if any, will prevent discoloration? Is there an alternative to a rug?

Help please. Thanks!

vonfirmath
03-28-2010, 11:55 PM
We got a Bissel spot cleaner and use it on the rug under the table.

I figure we'll get it professionally cleaned before the rental is up. OR we'll pay the cleaning bill. It's just impossible to keep clean.

sariana
03-29-2010, 12:11 AM
A rug itself shouldn't cause discoloration. The problem is that the part of the carpet that is exposed to light may fade more than the part under the rug. But that is true of furniture, too, and there isn't anything you can do about it. It depends on the quality of the carpet.

Go ahead and put down an area rug if you like how it looks. You probably will want to steam clean the carpet when you are ready to move because it will be more matted down where the rug was.

Fairy
03-29-2010, 02:01 AM
We have a white (ok, cream?) carpet in the dining room. And the entire house. We moved into it this way, we didn't choose it. It's trashed in the dining room and family room. Like we don't even bother to care anymore. Two cats throwing up regularly (it's what cats do), spills that had no hope of mitigation, and constant foot traffic have led to one crappy carpet. Not alot we can do. Now, we own, so we'll be laying a hard wood floor ... hoping THIS is the year, finally. As a renter, I think your best course of action is the rug you're planning, and/or a good spot cleaner. Possibly a mess mat? I'm sorry, I truly feel your pain.

JTsMom
03-29-2010, 09:28 AM
We had the same situation in several rentals. As long as you clean up spills promptly, you should be ok. At least we were, and we are notorious mess-makers! Resolve with Oxy is powerful stuff.

When we bought, no carpet in the dining room was on my list of non-negotiables. It is such a PITA.

03-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Resolve with Oxy is a real life saver. For really bad spills (spaghettios, wine, black bean soup--I follow it with Bissell's Little Green Machine--love that thing for carpets and upholstery.

ahrimie
03-29-2010, 02:38 PM
My friend uses an outdoor rug in her dining area. She has wood floors but she likes it because you can just take it outside and rinse!

sunnyside
03-29-2010, 05:50 PM
All you need is a Bissell Spot Bot. I swear. I have beige carpets in my house, and anytime anything hits the floor, I grab the spot bot.

All you have to do is:
1. Check/Add the fluids
2. Place on spot
3. Plug in
4. Push Start.
5. Wait 3 minutes
6. Put back away.

There is NOTHING easier. :cheerleader1:

denna
03-30-2010, 02:53 AM
Have you tried the clear plastic "splash" mats that are sold in BRU? I find them in the sippy cup/ food aisle. I place them under the high chair and DS's seat. Works like a charm.