PDA

View Full Version : Reversible stroller with umbrella fold?

essnce629
03-29-2010, 03:03 AM
I'm looking for a reversible stroller that has a compact umbrella fold. I know there's the Peg Switch (which I was planning to get) and I now see that there's the Maxi Cosi Loola. Does anyone know anything about the Loola? Are there any others out there? It will be kept in the car and will be used for shopping in stores. DS2 freaks whenever he can't see me, so even though he's already 10 months, I still want a stroller that he can face me in. TIA.

Hawkeyewife
03-29-2010, 08:32 AM
Here is a review of the stroller by Baby Gizmo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d832sLjX6cg

pastrygirl
03-29-2010, 08:33 AM
Maybe a Bugaboo Bee?

PGTB
03-29-2010, 11:09 AM
I'm looking for a reversible stroller that has a compact umbrella fold. I know there's the Peg Switch (which I was planning to get) and I now see that there's the Maxi Cosi Loola. Does anyone know anything about the Loola? Are there any others out there? It will be kept in the car and will be used for shopping in stores. DS2 freaks whenever he can't see me, so even though he's already 10 months, I still want a stroller that he can face me in. TIA.

If you are going to be using it as a car stroller you will need something more lightweight. Unfortunately, there are no lightweight umbrella fold strollers out there that have a reversible seat. If there were, I would be buying one as my travel stroller :)

Loola is a pretty heavy stroller, I doubt you would be up to the task to lift this in and out of your trunk. I believe Peg Switch is about 25lb, which is also heavy and doens't seem to have the most compact fold.

There is Bumbleride Flyer that a few posters here have and like. It's a fairly lightweight reversible stroller, should be same weight as the Bugaboo Bee. It has a reversible handle, so easy to switch the position of the seat without even lifting the seat. it should work fine for the shopping, mall use and smooth surfaces, but it's not all terrain or extremely maneuverable in more demanding busy city situations. You might find it easier to lift as it's supposed to weight about 20 or 19 lb. It's not a compact umbrella fold unfortunately and it's a bit bulky when folded, but if you have an SUV you should be ok.

Bugaboo Bee doesn't have an umbrella fold or standing fold either, but it should be a bit more compact in your trunk than the bumbleride flyer. It also is a very expensive stroller, but the good thing is that the new 2010 model is hitting the retail in April and the older 2009 floor models hopefully can be had for great bargain prices. Also, I expect used older model prices to drop too. It's a bit fiddly I have to say when brand new in terms of fold or seat reversal, so it's something you have to master. It should be improved on a new model, but that comes with a hefty price tag over 600.

edurnemk
03-29-2010, 03:11 PM
The Loola is a lot heavier than the Switch (close to 30 lb). A few friends have it, and all ended up looking for something lighter pretty soon.

I had no idea the Switch was 25 pounds, though, I have a Vista (24 lb), and it seems heavier than the Switch.

PGTB
03-29-2010, 04:04 PM
The Loola is a lot heavier than the Switch (close to 30 lb). A few friends have it, and all ended up looking for something lighter pretty soon.

I had no idea the Switch was 25 pounds, though, I have a Vista (24 lb), and it seems heavier than the Switch.

Oops, sorry, I might be wrong. Strollerqueen says it's 23 lb, she weighs them herself apparently, so I'd trust that. I would always advise everyone to try the strollers at the store, because I've been surprised many times over when I set my mind on something based on online information, videos and reviews, but then get disappointed when seeing it in person or pleasantly surprised. And what's heavy for one person may not be for another one. Same goes with the type of fold, quality of ride, design, etc.

I found PP Switch heavy and a bit clunky when I tried it at the store, definitely wouldn't consider this a travel friendly stroller, it's a full size stroller. I usually find strollers with double wheels clunky and not so smooth and nimble in terms of ride, except Maclarens, they know how to do double wheels well and make them feel smooth and maneuverable or Inglesina Zippy to some extent. But I am biased, just a matter of personal preference.

jacksmoma
03-29-2010, 04:40 PM
all the reversible stroller are just too heavy imo, around 9 months they like to face out anyways is my take on it (i had a bugaboo and quinny at first but sold them within months due to the annoying folds and weight). i really don't know why they are so popular when they are so darn heavy! lol :)

essnce629
03-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks everyone! I ruled out the Loola as soon as I saw the video on it. It's just too heavy and has a really short seat back and canopy which is not what I need since DS2 is going to be really tall I think (he's 10 months, but the height of an 18 month old). I just pulled the trigger and ordered a Peg Switch from Albee Baby for $319. I've tried it out in the store and liked it and the fold is the same as the P3 which is a lot more compact than the giant Rock Star Baby stroller that's taking up my entire trunk right now! I only like that one for neighborhood walks and DS2 outgrew his infant seat so no more snap-n-go which is what we had in the car before. I've tried out the Bumbleride flyer, thinking I wanted that one, but the fold is super awkward and pretty bulky. I also wasn't loving the stroller either. I've loved all the Pegs I've owned so I'm thinking the Switch will be good too. And I already have a Peg Pliko Lite if I want a lighter stroller down the line once DS2 is ok with not seeing me any more.