PDA

View Full Version : Need a new vehicle dilemma -WWYD?

randomkid
03-29-2010, 10:40 AM
We have a 1998 Honda Accord that DH uses for daily driving and a 1990 Toyota pickup that he uses for recreation. We were hoping the Honda would last at least another year, but it is showing signs of dying soon. I would like for him to have one vehicle that is multi-purpose and our plan was to get a newer truck for him, but in about another year or so (I really want to get rid of his older truck and only have 2 vehicles, instead of 3). Since it now looks like we will need something sooner, we likely won't have that option. We just bought a van in '08 and really can't afford another decent size car payment. So, over the weekend, we shopped online and so far, these are the options:

1. Buy a 3 year old Honda Accord with 20K miles, get rid of our current Honda and keep the truck, which will likely need repairs.

2. Buy a 2003 Toyota 4Runner with 58K and get rid of the truck and our current Honda. This one is about $800 less than the Honda.

I'm not figuring in cost of insurance because it's pretty low on the Honda and the truck. A newer vehicle will likely be about as much as both of those combined. However, if we keep the truck, then we are still paying insurance on 3 vehicles and now we're throwing in a newer vehicle which will be more that our '98. I am not keen on buying a 7yo vehicle, but the mileage is low. However, the gas mileage on a 4Runner is terrible. To get a used truck, we would be looking at around $6K to $8K more than these vehicles. Gas mileage is better on a truck, but not by a lot. Obviously, the Honda gets better mileage than either. We have to do something soon and I don't want to make a decision under pressure that we are going to regret. Not really interested in a smaller car because I am just not comfortable with DH driving DD around in a smaller car. Maybe that's stupid of me, but that's just how I feel.

wellyes
03-29-2010, 10:47 AM
#1 without hesitation.

I personally think the accord is better in every way -- comfort, safety, handling, fuel efficiency, longevity -- than a 4Runner. I'd handle your husband's truck wants/needs separately.

AnnieW625
03-29-2010, 10:53 AM
I would buy the newer Accord and keep the truck. You aren't going to find a pickup like the Toyota (size wise) anymore and if you are happy with the maintenance costs on the pick up then I think that's a better deal. The older cars are easier and cheaper to fix because there are way less computers than on the new ones. If someone dropped a 1990 Toyota (4x4 style) pickup on our doorstep DH would be a very happy camper.

I was kind of nervous about driving around full time in a small 01 Corolla, but it turns out it wasn't that big of a deal. We had DD in the middle seat position until she was almost three and now she is in a really safe Britax Frontier (top thethered) on the passenger side and although the car is low I now feel that she is very safe in the car.

caleymama
03-29-2010, 11:37 AM
Just throwing another idea out there - have you considered Honda Ridgelines at all? We unexpectedly (well, we knew it would be in the general near future but weren't planning to do it *right then*) replace DH's vehicle last fall and settled on a 2006 Ridgeline with around 36K miles. It was about 2-3K more than we wanted to spend but I felt much better about the purchase than I would have about some of the other stuff we were considering. It's roomy and works as a family vehicle for the four of us, the safety ratings are great, it has some really nice features (built-in trunk for one) and because it is a pick-up it has the hauling capacity we need. I have no qualms at all about DH being in it or about DDs riding in it. Gas mileage hasn't been terrible - he says he gets a pretty big range depending on driving. Not as good on his hilly, back-road commute but much better on the highway. I've driven it a bunch (including in a snowstorm) and it handles really well.