PDA

View Full Version : Heart palpitations, anyone?

kristenk
03-29-2010, 10:48 AM
On Friday, when DD and I were walking home from the park, I had a few heart palpitations. I've had them before, but it was always just a feeling of an extra heart beat thrown in there and it would just happen once or twice and then go away. Friday afternoon, it was more of a fluttery feeling that took a while to go away. I felt okay otherwise, but a little freaked out.

That night, when I was going to bed, I noticed that I'd get that "extra beat" feeling every minute or so. I couldn't do anything to make it stop or go away. When I tried to go to sleep, I still felt palpitations and it really stressed me out that I couldn't make them go away, even when lying down. I just think that I got into some sort of horrible cycle of being anxious about my heart, which caused my heart to race, which made me feel more anxious, etc. I was pretty miserable. I was also experiencing a few GI issues and felt very cold.

Long story short, I ended up going to the emergency department that night around 2am. They did an ekg, bloodwork, and ct scan and everything looked fine. They diagnosed me with benign palpitations and referred me to a cardiologist. They also prescribed a beta blocker.

I'm waiting for the cardiologist's office to call me back, so I thought I'd come here. Saturday night was fine, but I was up for a few hours in the middle of the night last night.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Could you figure out any sort of underlying cause for the palpitations? How do you deal with them?

tmarie
03-29-2010, 11:06 AM
I was having some heart palpitations but we figured out that I was slightly hyperthyroid. I was already on synthroid for hypothyroid, so they just lowered my dose and that took care of the problem. My internist also said that too much caffeine, sudafed, and/or stress can cause heart palpitations. I think it's great that you got checked out and everything was okay. If you are still concerned or it keeps happening, you could always follow up with your primary care doctor. Take care!

tmarie

lhk777
03-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Not sure if this is the same thing but my DH used to have these uncomfortable bouts of rapid heartbeats. It didn't hurt but it would be uncomfortable where he would have to stop what he was doing until his heartrate when back to normal.

He would go to the doctor/cardiologist and they couldn't figure it out. Then someone referred him to an electrophysiologist. They specialize in abnormal heart rhythms - either too fast or too slow.

They sent him home with a heart monitor so they could monitor the irregularities. It turns out he had SVT (supraventricular tachticardia). I don't know all the details but he had an outpatient procedure done and is fine now. It can also be controlled by medication but it can get expensive so he opted for a more permanent solution. His dad had the same thing and also had the same procedure done and both of them are fine now.

If you can't find any answers maybe you should try to see an electrophysiologist.

arivecchi
03-29-2010, 11:24 AM
I've always had palpitations. I cannot connect them to stress or any other trigger. I had it checked out when I was in HS and the docs did not find anything wrong. It is scary when it happens. I will be following this thread with interest.

Melaine
03-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Your symptoms sound very much like mine. After a bunch of tests, my cardiologist diagnosed me with generalized anxiety disorder. I'm taking Prozac now and it takes care of the problem. I also had very high pulse and GI symptoms, dry mouth, exhaustion, etc. The doctor pretty much gave me a choice of taking beta blockers or Prozac.
My friend had the same symptoms but a blood test showed a magnesium deficiency. Her issues have gone away since taking Magnesium. Magnesium didn't solve my problems, even after a couple months so I went back to Prozac (I've been dealing with this for a few years now).
I would tell you to pursue it in an effort to work on it before it gets worse. A few months ago I started having mild panic attacks. I wish I had done something to deal with the issues before it got to that point. I can't tell you how much Prozac has helped me. I truly feel like a new person after being on it for for a few months now.

lorinick
03-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Sounds so scary. I can amagine it would cause anxiety. I would be a mess. I hope it's just stress. I will also follow this thread. I hope they find out what is going on.

pinkmomagain
03-29-2010, 11:33 AM
I do have palpitations that come and go. I found that they flared during pregnancies and also around September (I don't know if it coincides with my hayfever allergies...I don't take allergy meds because they will just aggrevate it more).

I've had the holter monitor several times, and they do show up on that. But the cardiologist said that they are pretty much nothing to worry about. There was a med he could prescribe but I already have pretty low blood pressure and the med would just make it lower and I'd be way too sluggish.

missym
03-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Sorry you're dealing with this - I get episodes of them and it's really uncomfortable. I had to wear a monitor for a couple of days and have some tests done to establish that they were harmless, but after that my doctor said I just have to live with them. For me, taking decongestants makes them worse, as does getting dehydrated. Otherwise, they're just random.

kristenk
03-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Melaine, I'm sort of wondering about anxiety. I don't feel super stressed or anything, but I know that I've had issues in the past. Also, I've had a tic in my left eye for several months now which might just be saying something!

I'm still waiting for the cardiologist's office to call me back. Oh, the hospital took blood for thyroid tests, too, but they didn't have the results by the time I was released.

I was really holding out on the beta blocker b/c it just seems like there has to be some underlying issue and the beta blocker will just deal with the symptom. I could be wrong about that, of course. But I wanted to wait on the beta blocker until after I met the cardiologist. When I woke up at 1am last night, though, and I was feeling things ramp up, I went ahead and took one.

randomkid
03-29-2010, 11:41 AM
I have heart palpitations and there are usually quite benign, just uncomfortable like you said. There can be many causes and sometimes they just don't know why they happen. I have mitral valve prolapse, mine is likely related to that. When DD was about a year old, I developed sinus tachycardia. Had all the tests, etc and they don't know why it happens. I am on a low dose beta blocker and that usually controls it. I find that if I'm sick, not getting enough sleep, eat too much sugar or have caffiene, then it gets worse. I also have to be very careful with decongestants.

I wouldn't worry about seeing an electrophysiologist until you have seen a cardiologist first. I know that they way it works here is you have to see a cardiologist first, then they will refer you to the electrophysiologist if needed. Supraventricular tachycardia can be more serious than other types of palpitations or other causes of fast heart rate, extra beats, skipped beats, etc. If you had SVT, they would have found that at the hospital. Try not to stress about it, that will make it worse, and make an appt. Take the beta blocker if you need it, but you might be fine today. I find that some days are really bad and others I'm fine. Like you, my tachycardia came on overnight. I'd been having palpitations for years before that, though. Just know that if you take the beta blocker, you have to stay on it. It is a drug that you have to wean off of, otherwise you can get a rebound effect.

ETA: read your post above - a beta blocker should be taken on a regular schedule. Did they tell you to take once a day or as needed? Usually not effective if only taken on occasion and taking too much can lower your HR and BP. You will feel better for a while, but when it wears off, you might get a stronger feeling of palpitations. Mine is an extended release tablet, but I still notice that if I wake up in the middle of the night, my HR will be higher than it is during the day when my meds are most effective. It can make you drowsy. I used to take it at night, but found I could not wake up in the morning. I take it in the am now and it doesn't really make me sleepy during the day. I also feel I have better control of my symptoms during the day if I take it in the morning.

Kymberley
03-29-2010, 11:42 AM
I started getting them when I turned 18. I went to the ER on my 18th birthday because I was FREAKING out. Turns out, mine are due to caffeine. I don't get them as often anymore, but when I do, I have this routine that stops them. It sounds crazy, but it works for me. I take a deep breath and hold it while bearing down (almost like with a bowel movement, but not really) and hold that for a few seconds. It's hard to explain, and I know, it sounds crazy, but my dad has to do this too. He got it from a pilot friend who does the same thing when dealing with negative G-forces while flying. I really hope you feel better soon, I know how unnerving these things can be.

Melaine
03-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Melaine, I'm sort of wondering about anxiety. I don't feel super stressed or anything, but I know that I've had issues in the past. Also, I've had a tic in my left eye for several months now which might just be saying something!

I'm still waiting for the cardiologist's office to call me back. Oh, the hospital took blood for thyroid tests, too, but they didn't have the results by the time I was released.

I was really holding out on the beta blocker b/c it just seems like there has to be some underlying issue and the beta blocker will just deal with the symptom. I could be wrong about that, of course. But I wanted to wait on the beta blocker until after I met the cardiologist. When I woke up at 1am last night, though, and I was feeling things ramp up, I went ahead and took one.

Oh Kristen, I totally had the eye tick thing (and still have a bit at times). I posted here, I know I did! I'm pretty sure mine seems to come up from Caffeine and tired-ness but is no doubt also related to the stress.

It took me awhile to grasp the fact that so many of my issues were coming from stress. Like you, I would sometimes notice the heart thing pick up in the middle of the night, or when I was watching TV on the couch. NOT when I was in the middle of a stressful event (typically). That really seemed confusing.

I still wish there was some way I could fight this without drugs but after the panic attacks I am not willing to at this point. My Dr. compared my low serotonin levels regulated by prozac to a diabetics need for insulin. That made me feel a bit better about it.

I will tell you categorically that you will notice the issue the more you think about it, so try not too.

pp's solution of bearing down and holding your breath DOES work. I have heard that from others as well.

I know it is scary...I hope you and your doctor come up with a solution that makes you comfortable.:hug:

EllasMum
03-29-2010, 11:58 AM
I started getting them when I was about 18 or so, and went to the doctor convinced I had some horrible condition. The doctor checked me over, asked if I drink a lot of caffeine, and told me to cut out the caffeine. I did, and the palpitations went away within 1-2 days of stopping all caffeine. I do drink caffeinated beverages these days, but know my limits. If I have more than about 2 cola drinks or a cup of coffee, I get the palpitations again.

Hope you're feeling better soon - it is an unsettling feeling, to put it mildly! Hugs!

Indianamom2
03-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Well, I think you're taking the right steps here.

My experience was similar to Melaine's (I think) in that it started small with heart palpitations, and ended up in full-scale, called-911-thinking-I-was-having-a-heart-attack, issues that were finally diagnosed as panic attacks.

I didn't believe the diagnosis at first, but I was tested for everything under the sun over the course of that summer and I finally decided to just try the Paxil that my dr. had suggested, and in a week I had complete relief.

I think it's dangerous to just assume that you're having panic attacks, though, so if it continues, it's worth checking in with a cardiologist. They will likely send you home with a holter monitor to see what's happening over the course of 24 hours (or as long as 2 weeks). Better safe than sorry, when it comes to your heart.

Good luck.

egoldber
03-29-2010, 01:15 PM
You definitely need to be checked out by a cardiologist, but it could very well be anxiety and panic attacks. Especially if you are also having other stress/anxiety related symptoms (like the eye twitch). The funny thing with panic attacks is they will often happen under seemingly unrelated circumstances.

kristenk
03-29-2010, 01:57 PM
I definitely agree that I need to follow-up with the cardiologist. I really am trying! They haven't called me back, yet, though.

No matter the cause, these are just not fun and I want to figure out what's going on.

I thought it was interesting that pinkmomagain mentioned them happening more for her when her allergies are bad. We've definitely been having a banner year for allergies.

Randomkid - I had wanted to hold off on the beta blocker, if possible, just because I knew that I'd have to keep taking it until I was weaned off of it. I didn't want to take it if I didn't have to. I took it last night around 1am, so I'll just plan on taking it before bedtime. I was also a bit freaked out by the listed side effects. I'm supposed to take it 1x/day.

Thanks for all of the replies. It really does help me feel better knowing that other people are dealing with the same issue.

fivi2
03-29-2010, 02:16 PM
I also have heart palpitations and the rest, I also faint on occasion (seems to be related, but may not be). I have not seen an actual doctor (recently. The fainting started when I was very young and no doc could ever figure it out) but I have chatted with doctor friends. It seems like it could be any number of things, so you should definitely get checked out.

That said, a couple of things that seem to have helped me - magnesium supplements and a lower carb diet. I have no idea why or what made me try those things (something I read somewhere!) but I do feel better when taking magnesium and eating low carb. (I may also have thyroid issues and anxiety issues, but for now I can control my symptoms this way)

BUT - check with your doc as yours could be for a totally different reason!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Could be PVC. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premature_ventricular_contraction) Almost always benign. Mine seems to be worse when good ol' AF is visiting. I also have thyroid issues.

pinkmomagain
03-29-2010, 02:22 PM
[QUOTE=Melaine;2676515] Like you, I would sometimes notice the heart thing pick up in the middle of the night, or when I was watching TV on the couch. NOT when I was in the middle of a stressful event (typically). That really seemed confusing. [QUOTE]

Yes! For me, it will also happen while driving my car and not really consciously thinking about anything. Almost seems to happen more when I'm calm & quiet.

Indianamom2
03-29-2010, 02:58 PM
[QUOTE=Melaine;2676515] Like you, I would sometimes notice the heart thing pick up in the middle of the night, or when I was watching TV on the couch. NOT when I was in the middle of a stressful event (typically). That really seemed confusing. [QUOTE]

Yes! For me, it will also happen while driving my car and not really consciously thinking about anything. Almost seems to happen more when I'm calm & quiet.

:yeahthat:

becca_g
03-29-2010, 03:21 PM
I had occasional palpitations pre-pregnancy but developed VERY frequent PVCs during pregnancy exacerbated by caffeine ... have continued to a lesser degree since DS was born. Per the cardiologist, completely benign and related to hormones.

I also notice them much more frequently at rest. The cardiologist said that's typical because they are more likely to occur when heart rate is low. She recommended that I get up and walk around when they were particularly bothersome to get my heart rate up, which did seem to help. She also correctly predicted they would be less frequent in later pregnancy when resting heart rates tend to go up.

I couldn't take beta-blockers because they're contraindicated in asthma, which I have.

Having said all of that, there are certainly other things besides benign PVCs that could cause your symptoms, so I think your plan to see the cardiologist is a good one. Hopefully, you'll hear back from their office soon!

MommyAllison
03-30-2010, 01:59 AM
I've been dealing with this too. Ever since hitting puberty I've had very occasional palpitations - for me it feels like a skipped half beat - but it only happened like 1x/year. About a month ago I started having 6-8/day, sometimes more, always when I was sitting around or laying down. I went to the dr, had an ekg and exam, nothing found, wore the holter monitor and they did see everything that was happening and it was all benign. I'm supposed to go in for bloodwork next, to see if it's thyroid or whatever. My mom has them too, hers act up when she is stressed and/or overtired. But, when I was freaking out worried about them, they were happening a ton. Since I got the "benign" from the cardiologist, they've really decreased, so for me, I think it's probably stress related, but we'll see. One other thing I read can be related to palpitations is pregnancy. Hope you get into the cardiologist and results soon!

niccig
03-30-2010, 11:12 AM
I got them when my thyroid medication was too high, and it made me hyperthyroid. I also had chest pain. The dr. lowered my dose and it went away.

Hopefully, it's something benign, and nothing to worry about.

elephantmeg
03-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Generally they are PVC's. DH had them and had good luck with cutting out caffiene and getting more sleep. His PCP did an EKG which was normal. They could have done a halter monitor but since cutting out caffeine did the trick they never did.

wendibird22
03-30-2010, 01:21 PM
I get them every once and a while too. Started in college. Actually just started having an episode sitting here reading this and sipping on my cherry coke. Mine are usually linked to caffeine, stress and low potassium. When they happen I can feel the extra beat jump (like a muscle twitch). It's the only time I'm aware/can feel my heart beat in my chest.

I'm going to go throw out the rest of my yummy caffeinated beverage now.:sulkoff:

octmom
03-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Add me to the list of those who have palpitations! Mine started when I was around 12 or 13 and I still get them occasionally at 38. In fact, it happened to me on Sunday afternoon while I was sitting at the computer, not at all stressed. I saw a cardiologist when I was 19 and did a stress test, etc., but there wasn't anything to find. I can't remember if it was that cardiologist or someone else who told me they thought it was PAT-- paroxysmal atrial tachycardia.

I do have a slight heart murmur too (since birth), but it doesn't seem to be related. I had a lot of episodes about 13 years ago. I was in a new job, not eating well, and drinking a ridiculous amount of Diet Coke. A doctor advised me to give up caffeine, and it seemed to help. I do have some caffeine (chocolate, hot chocolate, and the occasional tea), but nothing like I used to have. One doctor told me that there could be a connection to hormonal levels and where I was in my cycle, but I have never kept track of that.

I hate it and it still scares me after all these years. I get light-headed and it feels like my chest and head are going to explode. It feels like all the blood is rushing to my head, but DH has told me that my face looks very pale when it happens. Bearing down helps to stop it sometimes. One doctor told me that his wife has this happen to her and it happened once while they were skiing. He pushed a bunch of snow in her face and on her neck and it stopped. He described it as an electrical short-circuit and said that the shock of something cold (snow, ice water) can help. I've never tried that. Whenever it happens to me, I try to pop a couple of extra strength Tylenol quickly because I usually end up with a horrible headache afterward if I don't.

kristenk
04-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Thought I'd update a bit.

First, thank you all so much for sharing your experiences. They've helped so much!

Second, if my root problem is anxiety (and I really think it is), making an appointment with the cardiologist's office is NOT helping me with my problem. I called and left my info Monday morning at 8:30am and stayed home until I had to pick up DD from K. That's when my return call happened. They left a number, which routed me into the same voicemail box, and I called at 2:30pm.

I got a return call on Tuesday mid-morning and found out that the cardiologist that the ER doctor referred me to is not accepting new patients. They said that I could see one of the other doctors in the practice, but I was just so not expecting that and had been talking to a friend Monday afternoon who recommended her cardiologist. I told the caller that I was going to see a different cardiologist and then started freaking out a little when I started to look up contact/insurance info on the other guy and decided to call the Emergency Dept. at the hospital and see what they said. They recommended either of the other 2 doctors in the office (of course), so I called yet again and left yet another voicemail.

On Wednesday, I didn't hear anything.

I just called the office this morning and explained the situation and she said that she'd page the person for me. I waited on hold for a while and then my call was disconnected. I called back and explained the situation to a different person and she actually took all of my information and made an appointment for me! Woo hoo! You have no idea how much weight has lifted. I'm happy to have an appointment for next week and that the cardiologist's office knows why I was referred and didn't seem too concerned.

I just posted a new thread in search of relaxation or meditation podcasts. I need some help relaxing. I was starting to get worked up last night at bedtime b/c everything that I was thinking of just ratcheted up my anxiety. (We're going out of town for Easter and I need to get the house ready for us to be gone and us ready to go. We're going to be visiting someone who has a dog and I'm incredibly allergic to dogs. The last time we were there I took benedryl on top of my zyrtec so I could breathe well enough to sleep. That freaked me out. We're staying at a hotel this time, but I'm still sort of freaked out.) Anyway, I need to find some sort of way to deal with all of this stress and I thought a podcast would at least be portable. I'm open to other suggestions, though.

Melaine
04-01-2010, 02:03 PM
If you are really open, you might want to try this. A little odd, but totally harmless and I did find a little relief from it. http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/showers.html
I will probably do it more often as the weather warms up!