PDA

View Full Version : Would you find this tacky?

BabyMine
03-29-2010, 01:37 PM
We are still planning M's 5th Birthday Party but I have a question. When people ask me what he wants would you find it tacky if I told them gift cards from_____. He definately does not need any toys. What he wants is an outdoor swing set. Would you find it tacky if I put that on the invitaion that he has requested gift cards to ___________ so he can save up for a swing set?

catpagmo
03-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Hmmm, my first thought is that, yeah, it's a little tacky. I know what you mean, though about not wanting more toys, but I dunno about that. Maybe just for close family members who would understand/not take offense to the gift card request?

Momof3Labs
03-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Yes, it is tacky to put on the invitation. If people ask what he wants, I would suggest it but also suggest a few other things in case they are anti-gift card.

TwoBees
03-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Yes. However, you could casually ask a family member that you are close with to drop hints about a group gift to a specific store that sells swingsets, and that person can pass the message around. Still a bit tacky, but less tacky than outright asking.

Or you could always say "no gifts please, DS has enough toys" and then people might just give you cash for his savings account.

ETA: what I meant is that people might give you cash instead, but you should not expect anything really if you use that line above. But then your DS wouldn't end up with more toys. So...it could be a wash.

HannaAddict
Yes, tacky. You just can't politely put a request for any gift on an invite, period. If people ask you verbally or via email, you can say a gift card to x store for
swing set, but not do it proactively.

WatchingThemGrow
Oooh. No, not on the invitation. I've said we'd like gc, but only when they asked what DC would like. We said, "Oh, we've got so many toys, but we're trying to save up for a playhouse from TRU that all the kids could enjoy this summer." Several families gave gc for it and their kids now enjoy playing in our playhouse!

PearlsMom
It's tacky to put on an invitation, absolutely. But if people call asking for what he wants, I think it's ok to say what he wants most of all is a swingset, and you're saving up to get one, so giftcards to ____ would be great. I don't think there's a problem with answering questions honestly :wink2:

AnnieW625
03-29-2010, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't put it on the invitations, but if people asked I would not be afraid to tell them that he would like gift cards to Store_______ . My mom is anti gift card/money, she likes to put more thought into things so other ideas are often nice too, what about puzzles?

Andi98989
03-29-2010, 01:46 PM
It's tacky to put on an invitation, absolutely. But if people call asking for what he wants, I think it's ok to say what he wants most of all is a swingset, and you're saving up to get one, so giftcards to ____ would be great. I don't think there's a problem with answering questions honestly :wink2:

:yeahthat: I always ask the family what a good gift would be - clothes, board games, etc... and love getting an honest answer, but I wouldn't put it on the invite itself.

BabyMine
03-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Ok, I won't put it on the invite but if they call and ask I can let them know that this is high on his list. If they aren't comfortable with that I'll give them a couple other ideas. I just dread more toys. After TT was born we realized that everyone bought M so many toys that TT didn't need anything. Now we are out and doing thins they hardly play with them. I am having him sort through them and put aside the ones he wants to donate or sell.

JustMe
03-29-2010, 02:09 PM
Definitely tacky on the invite, IMHO. If people ask what he wants, I think its okay to say something like "we would love gift cards because but other options would be....(insert something here). Some people are just not comfortable with gift cards or with you knowing how much they spent, and I think that needs to be okay.l

vludmilla
03-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Definitely can't go on the invitation but even if people ask, be sure to give them another option besides gift card to...you could say books or gc to ....store.

tmarie
03-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Like other pps, I wouldn't put it in the invite but I would tell guests casually if they ask over the phone, etc.... I completely empathize with your desire to be able to get the swingset as opposed to more toys he may not need or want though!!

tmarie