PDA

View Full Version : Aaack! Breast pump motor is dying....

maylips
03-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Last night I was pumping and heard the poor thing trying....to....go....and....rrrrrraaaaa.....then the motor came back to life and let me finish the job from last night. But I think it's on it's last legs. I'm a (mostly) SAHM - I only work a few afternoons a week at DH's business while my MIL watches the kids so I don't *need* the pump that much, but do use it a few times per week. DS is 7 months and I'll probably only nurse him until he's a year and this is our last child, so I really don't want to invest in an expensive piece of equipment. WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME, PUMP!?!?!

Andi98989
03-29-2010, 03:25 PM
Oh no!! Is it a Medela? How long have you had it? I EP, so my pump takes a beating. The fabric zipper pull on the bag broke a couple of weeks ago. I was complaining about it on Twitter and Medela said to call their customer service. I had some spare time, so I did.

They're sending me an entire new pump!!! I have a PISA, and the motor is built into the bag, so they can't send me just a new bag for it. My pump is less than a year old and they just asked when I got it, I told them October, they said no problem and sent the new one out on Friday and it's waiting for me at home already. I just have to ship this one back with a pre-paid label.

anyway .... if it's a Medela that's less than a year old, give them a call!

ETA: you may be able to find a used one inexpensively on CL if that's something your comfortable with.

azazela
03-30-2010, 06:36 AM
I had a similar experience with my Ameda Purely Yours and got a new pump overnighted to me. It was awesome! Definitely call customer service for whatever brand pump you have. I'd call even if it's more than a year old, you never know.

TwinFoxes
03-30-2010, 07:11 AM
I sent my Medela Freestyle back after it died after less than a year. They Fedexed one to me. Actually, I take that back, I didn't even have to send it back, they just sent it to me, but it was clearly still under warranty.

maylips
03-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Sadly, mine is more than a year old. It's been a workhorse - I pumped for DD 3 years ago, so it's at least that old. And it was given to me by my SIL, who had it but never used it (and her daughter is now 5). When I got replacement parts in preparation for DS, I found out it has been discontinued.

I'm guessing I shouldn't call?

wendibird22
03-30-2010, 09:35 AM
I'd call. The worst that can happen is they say they can't offer a replacement. But they may still be able to help trouble shoot or offer a cheaper solution than buying a brand new complete pump. Worth a shot IMO.

MamaMolly
03-30-2010, 09:57 AM
ITA it is worth a shot. I've also read that it *might* be the valves needing replacement? IIWY I'd try that first and call in the mean time.

Andi98989
03-30-2010, 10:21 AM
You might also want to check and see if your insurance would cover one as durable medical equipment if you get a prescription from your OB.