PDA

View Full Version : Best Unbrella stroller for road trip

robyncox
03-29-2010, 05:09 PM
We are planning a road trip with our (then 1 year old) and we currently only have the Graco travel system and is way too n=big to travel with. I never wanted to buy an unbrella fold but looks like for a road trip this is the only way to go. What is the best unbrella stroller. Right now it looks like the Chicco Liteway is winning for features. I would like all the features I can get with good quality and not a fortune to buy. I want a storage basket, recline, cup holder (pref.), good quality. Removeable, washable cover is a MUST. Any advice?

What is the diff. between the Chicco Capri and the Liteway?

Thanks everyone!

GraceH
03-30-2010, 01:51 AM
the Capri recline strikes me as nearly non-existant (if I'm thinking of the correct model) - it's lacking most of the features you listed...
the Liteway looks pretty nice - haven't spent alot of time playing with one, but for that price, I would still pick my Graco Mosaic (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Mosaic-Stroller-Mickey-Mouse-in-the-House/12537635) (has a front bar allowing easy attachment of accessories or an infant seat, if you have the SR32 and are still using it at 1yr... parent cupholder, reclining seat, etc.), I've had mine living in my trunk and used it regularly since DS was born almost 2.5 years ago (first as a compact travel system, now as a stand-alone stroller.
Oh, and around here I would get shot if I didn't ask if you've looked at Mac Quest/Triumph on eBay :wink2:

Suzanne74
03-30-2010, 10:06 AM
If you are looking for something less then $150 and is similar to the Liteway, I would also look at the Keekaroo. The only downside is it is very hard to find in stores.

http://www.amazon.com/Keekaroo-Karoo-Stroller-Crimson-Red/dp/B0019VMYOY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1269957261&sr=1-1

The Maclarens are more expensive but they do have longevity and you will be using it for a few years. You can usually get a Quest at BRU for about $175 and a Triumph for about $129, if you have a 20% off coupon.

Once a baby hits 1 years old, you won't want to use anything but an umbrella stroller anyway (unless you need all terrain) so make sure yout get one that will last your little one thru age 3. I would definitely go to a store and try a bunch out with your baby in them. Check reviews on Amazon and Baby Gizmo has a bunch of great video reviews.

Oh and getting one of these is a must for traveling
http://www.amazon.com/Childress-Cargo-Stroller-Organizer-Black/dp/B000X2HC9W/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1269957344&sr=1-7

liamsmom
03-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Other umbrella strollers around that price range are Britax Blink and Uppa Baby G-luxe. And you can find Macs on Ebay for under $150 too.

I love my Liteway. The full recline was a must for me and it hasn't disappointed. I can steer it with one hand and the cup holder can actually hold a large cup of coffee. Another must have for me. :wink2:

AnnieW625
03-30-2010, 02:04 PM
I love my Maclaren Triumph, bought off Ebay for $130 or so in 2006, but I would say that if I needed to it would be worth buying new at $170 or so. The new 2010 patterns are very nice. Can't comment on the other strollers as the Triumph is our main do everything errand stroller and has been since DD was 3 mos. old.

SnuggleBuggles
03-30-2010, 02:25 PM
You could experiment to see if you can get your Graco in there. My dh is a packing genius. With just a Civic we can get out Metrolite, PnP, luggage...in there. Some stuff winds up tucked around the cabin of the car sometimes. But, don't totally rule out just taking what you have.

I only bought a Volo because I found a deal too good to pass up ($55 on Ebay). Depending onthe walking we are going to do I still like to take the Metrolite though.

Beth

huffrun
03-30-2010, 04:00 PM
We bought the Chicco Capri - it works fantastic on road trips, especially for places like zoos and ammusement parks where you might be hopping on and off a tram/train, etc. It folds up like an extra-long umbrella stroller (extra-height is SO much more comfortable to push than traditional umbrellas). Although the recline doesn't look like much, it's just enough so your little one's head isn't flopping. The basket is great for an umbrella, and although the canopy isn't anything special, it works great for blocking sun. We LOVE it. We also couldn't afford to even look at higher-priced strollers, so this is coming from someone looking for good quality at a reasonable price. BEST part is Chicco's customer service. We returned from a flight with a broken wheel. I contacted them to buy a replacement, but it had been under a year since we bought it and they sent me an ENTIRE NEW STROLLER with no questions asked! I'm completely impressed. Love the stroller, love the service. I would highly recommend Chicco strollers to everyone.

Andi98989
03-30-2010, 04:35 PM
for that price, I would still pick my Graco Mosaic (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Mosaic-Stroller-Mickey-Mouse-in-the-House/12537635) (has a front bar allowing easy attachment of accessories or an infant seat, if you have the SR32 and are still using it at 1yr... parent cupholder, reclining seat, etc.), I've had mine living in my trunk and used it regularly since DS was born almost 2.5 years ago (first as a compact travel system, now as a stand-alone stroller.

:yeahthat:

tiapam
04-01-2010, 12:39 AM
I didn't like the usual umbrella fold either, so I got a Combi Ultra Savvy. They don't make that model anymore but they have other models that feature the tri-fold, which means the wheels all end up on one end of the stroller when it is folded. We have used ours for traveling and as a car stroller for five years now and it has held up really well - nothing on it is broken.

http://combi-intl.com/Products/Category.aspx?Category=1