PDA

View Full Version : Are you serious? Is this legal? *Warning of offensive picture on 1st link*

BabyMine
03-30-2010, 12:23 PM
"Father Of Dead Marine Ordered To Pay Legal Fees Of Westobro Baptist Church Protesters (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/29/father-of-dead-marine-ord_n_517614.html)"

BALTIMORE (AP) — The father of a Marine killed in Iraq and whose funeral was picketed by anti-gay protesters was ordered to pay the protesters' appeal costs, his lawyers said Monday........

Link (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/29/father-of-dead-marine-ord_n_517614.html)

Where does all this hate come from. This drives me crazy that they show soooo much disrespect and hatred. This stupidity is why I am scared if DC were gay. I wouldn't care but there are such evil people in the world that spew hate that I would be scared for them.

jenfromnj
03-30-2010, 12:31 PM
I need to learn more about this story to speak intelligently about it. But generally, it is possible to receive legal fees as part of a court decision if you ask for it.

ETA: To quote from baltimoresun.com:

Lawyers for Snyder say the Court of Appeals has ordered him to pay $16,510.80 to Phelps for costs relating to the appeal, despite the fact that the U.S. Supreme Court has agreed to review the Court of Appeals' decision.

This makes me think that the award of legal fees has political motivation.

That poor family. I can't imagine first losing your son in Iraq and having to bury him, then to have freaking protesters at his funeral, protestors who have an issue that has absolutely nothing directly to do with the poor kid who was kiled, and THEN to be forced to pay the legal fees of those protesters when you decide to finally take a stand and try to protect other families from having to face such insanity. I am very interested to see what the Supreme Court will do with this.

vonfirmath
03-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Here is more information: http://www.citmedialaw.org/threats/snyder-v-phelps#description

Wife_and_mommy
03-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Can I suggest you label this thread with a warning. The picture in the article shows a person holding a sign that I find disturbing and offensive.

Thanks.

BabyMine
03-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Can I suggest you label this thread with a warning. The picture in the article shows a person holding a sign that I find disturbing and offensive.

Thanks.

I am so sorry. I added a warning. I was so upset over the article I didn't notice the picture.

codex57
03-30-2010, 12:54 PM
Based on the case timeline, I as pretty shocked a court would order attorney fees at this juncture.

Barring a situation where the father didn't respond to the request for attorney fees and got a default award against him, the only thing I can come up with is a crazy activist judge who agrees with the protesters.

boogiemomz
03-30-2010, 12:55 PM
how absolutely horrifying. makes me sick.

ILoveLucy
03-30-2010, 01:02 PM
I live somewhat in the area of this group, which in reality is no more than a crazy man and his large extended family. I wish the media would quit giving them attention, as that is the only thing they are seeking.

elizabethkott
03-30-2010, 01:13 PM
This is just reprehensible. I support freedom of speech, but this is just ridiculous. It is slanderous, hurtful and just plain mean.

AnnieW625
03-30-2010, 01:17 PM
Horrible. I wonder if the judge in the case used to be a workers comp. judge, they'll give attorneys attorney fees for just about everything including filing a darn application. I feel horrible for the family effected.

These scummy protesters were in my city in February protesting at a high school, and the Jewish Community Center. Thankfully I was able to avoid both places that day.

Wife_and_mommy
03-30-2010, 01:24 PM
I am so sorry. I added a warning. I was so upset over the article I didn't notice the picture.

No problem. I found the picture so upsetting I couldn't read past the second paragraph.

All I have to say about those fundamentalists is they should take a gander at the New Testament. God has a few verses for them as well.:nodno:

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Based on the case timeline, I as pretty shocked a court would order attorney fees at this juncture.

Barring a situation where the father didn't respond to the request for attorney fees and got a default award against him, the only thing I can come up with is a crazy activist judge who agrees with the protesters.

Yeha, seems fishy to me. The judge seems to have no legal reason to agree with ordering the family to pay the fees.

liamsmom
03-30-2010, 01:34 PM
I live somewhat in the area of this group, which in reality is no more than a crazy man and his large extended family. I wish the media would quit giving them attention, as that is the only thing they are seeking.

You beat me to it! I believe this "church" consists of one family, of which Fred Phelps is the patriarch, and has less than 20 members. They are no strangers to lawsuits either. They often fund their cross-country protests from compensation they receive after suing counter-protesters. So, if someone were to throw a rock at them, they'd sue for damages.

Andi98989
03-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Back in October, an Order was issued awarding costs (costs=expenses), not attorneys fees; it was broken down as $450 for the docketing fee and $16,060.80 for printing costs, for a total cost award of $16,510.80. When the motion requesting costs was filed, there was supporting documentation showing those costs. Snyder's objected (and actually filed their objection after the deadline to do so), additional briefing was filed, and now on Friday an Order came out that Snyder's have to pay those costs.

So to say that there is 'no explanation' of what the costs are, is a bit disingenuous. Yes, the current Order does not explain it; it was previously explained.

When you appeal a case, if you win the appeal (as Phelps did here), then it is routine to file a request for your costs. HOWEVER, it is extremely common to get an Order issued by the Court to stay that judgment pending appeal -- meaning that the costs wouldn't have to be paid until after the next appeal (Supreme Court in this case) is decided. They may also be able to appeal the costs issue. So yes, right now there is a judgment out that Snyder's owe that much in costs. But depending on what happens in the Supreme Court appeal, they may not actually have to pay it.

All that being said .... the whole situation is sad.

ETA: I've heard Shirley on the radio quite a bit. She's ... um ... interesting.

maestramommy
03-30-2010, 02:00 PM
So let me get this straight. A Marine gets killed in Iraq. But the church sends protesters to his funeral because he's gay? Then they get arrested for (I assume) disturbing the peace? But they manage to get a court order for the Marine's father to pay their legal fees?

WTF?? How is that even legal? I think I've heard of Fred Phelps. He's a nut, isn't he?

marie
03-30-2010, 02:07 PM
So let me get this straight. A Marine gets killed in Iraq. But the church sends protesters to his funeral because he's gay?

actually, they just show up because they figure that they will be in the news footage of a soldier's funeral. and that will cause a controversy which garners them more attention.

a$$holes.

rlu
03-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Horrible. I wonder if the judge in the case used to be a workers comp. judge, they'll give attorneys attorney fees for just about everything including filing a darn application. I feel horrible for the family effected.

These scummy protesters were in my city in February protesting at a high school, and the Jewish Community Center. Thankfully I was able to avoid both places that day.

They came through here in Jan to a high school where several students had committed suicide. The students at the high school counter-protested by having a "love-fest". http://www.mercurynews.com/search/ci_14295757?IADID=Search-www.mercurynews.com-www.mercurynews.com

I am sorry for the father that sued and lost - I hope the appeal brings clarity to what this "church" can do legally in the future.

elektra
03-30-2010, 02:53 PM
So let me get this straight. A Marine gets killed in Iraq. But the church sends protesters to his funeral because he's gay? Then they get arrested for (I assume) disturbing the peace? But they manage to get a court order for the Marine's father to pay their legal fees?

WTF?? How is that even legal? I think I've heard of Fred Phelps. He's a nut, isn't he?

I don't think the soldier was gay or maybe he was but that is not their point.
I *think* that these nutjobs believe that the reason soldiers are dying is because it's God's way of punishing them/us for the gays in the world at large.

DrSally
03-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Wow, that's crazy. I'm all for free speech, but protesting anything at a person's funeral is beyond disgusting.

Carrots
03-30-2010, 05:02 PM
I *think* that these nutjobs believe that the reason soldiers are dying is because it's God's way of punishing them/us for the gays in the world at large.

This is exactly correct.
I have unfortunately heard of this group on the radio and they even protested a soldier's funeral in the next town over. It was sickening. The whole family is sickening.