PDA

View Full Version : Will brown eggs work for dying easter eggs??

newg
03-30-2010, 01:55 PM
It didn't even occur to me as I bought my typical organic eggs.......but DH mentioned we might have to buy some white eggs so they turn out nice.

Do they make organice white eggs?? I buy the egglands best organic eggs, which are all brown.......and I believe the eggs on my uncle's farm are all brown too.

how do they even get eggs white??

Sillygirl
03-30-2010, 01:59 PM
The egg color depends on the chicken breed. Some people mistakenly believe brown eggs are healthier or more "natural", so most organic eggs I've seen are brown, I assume to play into that preference.

The dye will not make a very good effect on a brown egg.

One dozen non-organic white eggs is probably the way to go.

marie
03-30-2010, 02:01 PM
we have used brown before and personally I prefer the colors they create. they take longer to dye - a several minute soak per color - and the colors are muted and more natural looking instead of the typical super-bright neon-y colors. Not sure I have any pics of our eggs from previous years. . .

ooh! here's a blog post with a picture comparing the two:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qJ_gNJb8N1I/Sd-8Pj4rkuI/AAAAAAAAW3c/7r5-f79eTdo/s400/IMG_2203.JPG&imgrefurl=http://naturenest.wordpress.com/&usg=__VEFO5ntltg8PUXycZGdDCHnZjwU=&h=400&w=351&sz=32&hl=en&start=10&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=ZkUGUS6_r43gJM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=109&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddye%2Bbrown%2Beggs%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den %26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch:1

vludmilla
03-30-2010, 03:16 PM
We used brown eggs for dyeing last year and it worked out okay. I wouldn't say that I prefer the effect but it was really fine. It made the colors more earthy and less flourescent and bright. I think you can do it and be fine as long as you accept the earthier colors that you get. My DD was fine with the colors, BTW.

03-30-2010, 03:38 PM
Color depends on the breed not on whether its organically raised--the chickens at DD's preschool lay white, grey and brown eggs depending on the hen (their little garden is organic and the hens are pastured). I'm not sure if I've seen organic white eggs sold commercially though.

Christine W

neeleymartin
03-30-2010, 08:20 PM
just checking my blogs and this was posted last week. thought i would share. i didn't read other posts. sorry if this is a repeat:

http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/coloring-brown-eggs-111861?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+apartmenttherapy%2Fohdeedoh+% 28ohdeedoh%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

HallsofVA
03-30-2010, 08:29 PM
If you're Greek and dying traditional Red eggs for easter, the brown eggs work out better than the white.

newg
03-30-2010, 08:41 PM
nope, not Greek! Just plain 'ole Lutheran and Catholic!!

Thanks for all the info ladies!! I'm fine with dying the brown eggs, I leave it up to DH. If he has his heart set on brightly colored eggs he can go out and buy some more eggs.

That just means more egg salad for me!!

kijip
03-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Yeah, brown eggs are not healthier. It's just the breed of chicken. First we were conditioned to only accept white eggs and now we are being sold on brown eggs being better in someway.

The eggs from our chickens really vary. Many are a brownish greenish blueish range of hues.

I am not a hardboiled egg fan AT ALL so I tend to prefer not to "waste" our tastier home hatched eggs by boiling them. I usually get 1-2 dozen cheap conventional eggs.

crl
03-30-2010, 11:52 PM
I did a couple of brown because I ran out of white. I used the silk tie method posted on this board. They came out okay, but more earthy and less pastel. I think it probably just depends on what color you want the end result to be.

Catherine

vejemom
03-31-2010, 08:01 AM
Most commercially available white eggs in the U.S. are laid by Pearl White Leghorns, a breed often referred to as "egg laying machines". I have two of them, and they seriously do not take a break. Laid pretty much an egg a day right through the winter.

I think the organic egg companies want to distance themselves from that machine farming perception as much as possible, so they use brown egg breeds, which play into people's feelings on how a farm fresh egg ought to look. Interestingly, my mom once told me that she can remember her grandmother, an Irish immigrant, refusing to buy brown eggs, which is what they had had in Ireland. To her, white eggs meant she had arrived and was doing well in big city America.

I get white, brown, and green-blue eggs from my chickens. I have several breeds of brown egg layers, so I get a really nice variety of shades of brown. One girl even lays such pale brown eggs that they appear pink. I've got a bunch of young Easter Egg hens who are just getting ready to lay their first eggs, and I can't wait to see what shades of blue and green we get!

newg
03-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Yeah, I guess I've never really hunted down and compared eggs........beyond knowing that "regular" store eggs are always white and the organice eggs I now buy are brown. I guess I just assumed..........

I should ask my uncle if all his hens lay brown eggs, or if he has a variety.

Thank you for the input and insight!!