PDA

View Full Version : 2010 bugaboo bee or i'coo Pacific stroller??

romina
03-30-2010, 09:41 PM
Long story short: First time mom, living in argentina. my brother in law is getting the stroller for me but hasn't got the time to see the strollers i like and i can not see them from here. I can't decide between the 2010 bee or the i'coo pacific stroller. can somebody help me?? i was going to buy the bee but after reeding your comments i'm not so sure.
money is not an issue. i want to buy the best if it's worth it. i travel a lot in my car but my trunk is not very big. i wanted a lightweight stroller (don't know if 5 lb will have a difference) so i can be able to lift it up often to put in the trunk. i like that the icoo seat has two height positions whitch i think is convenient for keeping your child closer to your eye level or sitting at a restaurant but i can't find info about using the icoo with the car seat. i looked at the adapter and has two belt instead of the clicking adaptor of the bee. than is holding me down.
i comes down to >
2 seat height position icco stroller versus minimalistic look+more lightweight+carseat friendly (?) bee stroller
PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVISE

PGTB
03-31-2010, 10:20 AM
Long story short: First time mom, living in argentina. my brother in law is getting the stroller for me but hasn't got the time to see the strollers i like and i can not see them from here. I can't decide between the 2010 bee or the i'coo pacific stroller. can somebody help me?? i was going to buy the bee but after reeding your comments i'm not so sure.
money is not an issue. i want to buy the best if it's worth it. i travel a lot in my car but my trunk is not very big. i wanted a lightweight stroller (don't know if 5 lb will have a difference) so i can be able to lift it up often to put in the trunk. i like that the icoo seat has two height positions whitch i think is convenient for keeping your child closer to your eye level or sitting at a restaurant but i can't find info about using the icoo with the car seat. i looked at the adapter and has two belt instead of the clicking adaptor of the bee. than is holding me down.
i comes down to >
2 seat height position icco stroller versus minimalistic look+more lightweight+carseat friendly (?) bee stroller
PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVISE

I just got my I'coo Pacific stroller, and I've also been considering Bugaboo Bee. But in my mind these are two completely different types of strollers, not comparable really. I'coo Pacific is a full size bigger frame stroller with large back wheels, it's the in the same category as the Bugaboo Chameleon/Frog or UppaBaby Vista (if you have a chance to go see these in person). This is definitely not the stroller you would want for frequent car trips, especially on daily basis. I personally wouldn't want to have to fold and lift a full size stroller in and out of the car daily and fiddle with car seat adapters. It's ok for the occasional car trips/airline trips especially when you have another adult with you. I wouldn't be able to manage I'coo Pacific and the child and the car seat by myself frequently. It's a lightweight stroller, but in comparison with the full size strollers. The fold is also not the most compact if you have a small car trunk, it has large wheels after all. Also, if you travel by air frequently, you may want a smaller frame/wheels stroller just to get it through security x-ray machine. I doubt a full size stroller frame with 11 inch wheels would fit through the x-ray machine, you might have to remove the wheels. The wheels on I'coo Pacific are very easy to remove, but I wouldn't want to deal with the extra step frequently.

Bugaboo Bee is much more travel friendly stroller and definitely should take a bit less space in your trunk folded. But it's not a full size stroller with bassinet and large wheels. It's more of an 'in-between' type of stroller. It's not the most lightweight and frequent car trips friendly stroller out there, as it's still on a heavier side and its fold isn't the easiest. I hope they improved it in 2010 model and made it less stiff, I haven't seen them in stores yet.

Basically, if you must decide between the two, I would get the Bee if you intend to use the car every day. I got I'coo Pacific because I will rarely use the car (we don't own one) and live in an elevator building and wanted something with larger wheels and bassinet. I am already considering to get another travel friendly stroller especially for airline trips and the public transport. I was considering the Bee as a travel stroller because I want my travel stroller to have a reversible seat (and the Bee is the lightest one out there that can do that and still has a smooth ride).

Most posters out here will tell you the same thing, you may need two strollers if you want one for long neighborhood walks and you also need one for frequent travel and daily car use. If money is not an issue I would get 2 strollers, especially since I'coo Pacific is very moderately priced for a full size stroller and you also can get something like an umbrella stroller for the car or even the bee if budget is not an issue. Peg perego Si is a good car stroller, it doesn't have a reversible seat, but it takes a car seat and it has a nice umbrella standing fold (a big plus for managing it and the infant and the car) and can be folded one-handed.

arivecchi
03-31-2010, 10:32 AM
I agree with the PP that you might need two strollers - an air tire stroller for long walks/rough terrain and a small lightweight one for your car/travel/public transportation. If you are really limited to one stroller, I'd look at the Maclaren Techno and the Micralite Toro instead of the Bee.

PGTB
03-31-2010, 11:41 AM
I agree with the PP that you might need two strollers - an air tire stroller for long walks/rough terrain and a small lightweight one for your car/travel/public transportation. If you are really limited to one stroller, I'd look at the Maclaren Techno and the Micralite Toro instead of the Bee.

Micralite Toro is a great candidate for one-and-only stroller. it has large air tire wheels on the back and would provide smoother ride over the Bee on uneven surfaces I would think. it also has a standing fold and it weighs the same as the Bee (around 19-20lb). In addition it has a bassinet you can get when getting a newborn system, so can be used from the first days of baby's life.
If you use it with the Maxi Cosi Mico car seat you don't need an additional car seat adapter, this car seat is compatible with the newborn bassinet adapters, which are just two plastic pieces without any metal bars. it will be easier to manage it as a car seat frame.

I have to mention though that you cannot fold Micralite Toro one-handed and that it's not really that compact when folded, it won't take any less space in your trunk than the Bugaboo Bee, if not more. It has a full size seat and large wheels.

I was considering Micralite Toro as my one and only stroller, I almost bought it 4 months ago on the internet. But then I got obsessed with the reversible seat feature (being able to face the baby when he sits down) and ruled it out. If you don't care about this feature past the bassinet stage then you have lots of options out there for car friendly strollers.

happyturtles
03-31-2010, 12:44 PM
I love the Bee!! I have the Bee as my one and only single stroller. It has been perfect for me for car/travel/mall/everyday use. I have taken it along the paved path of the beach too with no problems. I think the Bee is great as a lightweight, reversible, compact, do all stroller. Although it doesn't have air tires, it does have suspension on the wheels and I have not had any problems with the bounce of the ride.

The push is amazing, very easy, one-handed steering. I can also fold the bee one-handed and if I must, it can be lifted one handed (not something i'd recommend to do frequently)

The new Bee Plus coming out tomorrow fixed alot of issues that people had with the Bee. is, the reversibility: they changed the mechanism so it's easier to do. They also added height adjustability (about an extra 3" if i remember correctly), The canopy looks smaller, but it actually does have very similar coverage to the older version. I was able to see the new Bee and it looks and feels very nimble.

I chose the Bee over the Maclarens as the Bee felt more solid and didn't tip over with bags over the handle bar. If you get the Bee, I'd definitely get the Bee Nest also as it's a great coccon for newborns.

I now have five different double strollers, umbrella type, SBS, tandem, and I still love my Bee the best.

romina
03-31-2010, 01:28 PM
Thank you all. I will get the new bee!! it was a tough decision because i really liked the two height positions of the seat but the advantages of the bee outstands this feature.

jennyzu
03-31-2010, 02:06 PM
I have seen the Demo on youtube of the new I'coo pacific and that's my only option to see the stroller before I order it on-line.
A few questions that rise after seeing the demo and the pics of the stroller:
1) How upright is the most upright position? all the standart pictures of the stroller in different websites show a semi-reclining position, is it the most upright that it gets?
2) When using the stroller as a bassinet, wouldn't the strap system bother the newborn? I mean, that with a newborn lying in the bassinet there is no need to strap him, and if so wouldn't it just bother him lying on those straps? I know that regular bassinets dont have straps on them.
3) does the stroller come with some kind of additional mattress for the bassinet option? If not, where can I buy it?
4) I have seen in some websites that sell this stroller that there is a rainshield included, and some don't mention it. is it something that the manufacturer always includes in the box? is the foot muff always included?
I also don't understand what does it mean "a mattress pad that turns into a foot muff for cooler days"? how do you use this mattress pad?
5) how difficult is it to assemble the stroller in the beginning?
6) how deep is the bassinet? would you leave your let's say 3-4 months old baby on the porch in it? I used to do it with my daughter in a Inglezina zippy bassinet. I would be checking frequently on her, but wasn't worried that she would fall of (the bassinet was pretty deep).
7) what is the mechanism of the reclining? is it one handed?
8) My Daughter used to sleep in her stroller on the walks until she was 2 years old. and she was able to fall asleep only if the stroller reclined flat. how difficult is it to recline the seat to a full recline with a child in it?
9) Can I take all of the fabric in order to wash it? or is it only partially washable?
10) do you have any cons to the stroller?

I know that that's a lot of questions, but I am very nervous buying a stroller that I have no option to see in person.

Karinyc
03-31-2010, 05:20 PM
Hi...my family is from Argentina :) I was just going to add that if you're situated in BA I would reconsider using a stroller on public transportation and if you can maybe use a good carrier for those instances (especially on those buses...I remember holding on for dear life ;) ). Good luck with the new Bee!