PDA

View Full Version : More WWYD about food that's been sitting in the fridge

Sweetum
03-31-2010, 01:35 AM
Soooooo, I bought some broccoli and red cabbage to make some food to be frozen for DD. I did intend to cook it. It's been 3 weeks since I got it and it's been sitting in the fridge since. Is it still ok to cook and freeze to feed to DS? If not, is it ok for DH and me to cook and eat it?

Thanks!!!
SunshineAndMe

infomama
03-31-2010, 01:38 AM
I'd say no.
http://stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/16659
http://stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/16636

ezcc
03-31-2010, 09:30 AM
Cabbage keeps a really long time, so I would have no problem with that and the broccoli might be ok too- If they seem ok (not too hard/soft, smell normal) I'd probably go ahead and use it. I'm pretty lax about that kind of thing though.

bubbaray
03-31-2010, 10:00 AM
My broccoli never seems to even last the week. I'd definitely toss it. The cabbage might be OK.

Toba
03-31-2010, 10:24 AM
Me, if there's even a hint that it might be bad, I toss it. I won't even drink the milk past the sell by date. Just one of many of my weird quirks, which also drives my husband insane.

If you are going to toss it, I would put it in an old plastic shopping bag or something like that and tie it tight. I imagine it will create quite the stench after coming out of refrigeration.

And trust me, I am ALWAYS forgetting food in the fridge. :)

Fairy
03-31-2010, 10:44 AM
I have lots of "is this still good" issues, but fresh food I rarely have a doubt about. I don't know fresh cabbage, but the broccoli I'd let go.

Moneypenny
03-31-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm betting the cabbage is still fine, but the broccoli might be iffy. If either one is bad, it will be soft and maybe have some obvious areas of wetness/mushiness. If they look alright, I would use them and not think twice.

Sweetum
04-01-2010, 03:46 AM
they are not soft to the touch, but thinking I'll toss the broccoli (wasn't too much ayways), but keep the cabbage - cook it for ourselves, though and not for DS.

thanks, everyone!
-SunshineAndMe