PDA

View Full Version : WDYD about dc's activities when *you* are sick?

fivi2
03-31-2010, 09:33 AM
Not sure how to title this :) dds were sick over the weekend, they have been fever free over 24 hours, still a lingering cough. We are skipping school today again because I think it will wear them out.

I started running the fever and coughing last night - clearly whatever they had.

We have swim lessons this afternoon. It is only 30 minutes and I think they could handle it (assuming they seem to feel fine this afternoon). They are fever free and I assume not contagious.

BUT - I am clearly contagious, and during swim I am in a room with other parents (we stand around). I am assuming we should stay home because of that, but wondering what other people do when you are the contagious one.

Would you go to swim lessons?

Do you walk them into preschool when you are the sick one? (no drop off, must go inside)

Mostly just curious, we did skip school and will probably skip swim, just wondering what everyone does!

maylips
03-31-2010, 09:42 AM
We aren't really at that stage yet since DD hasn't joined a bunch of stuff, but she does go to preschool Tues/Thurs mornings. I was sick yesterday and dropped her off - I needed her gone! I had caught what my baby DS had last week and DD hasn't caught it yet so it's not a spin off of anything related to her.

Not sure what I would do if I was required to stick around. Honestly, it would probably depend on how *I* felt - if I could be out of bed/off the couch for the 30 minutes it required to hang out at swimming lessons. But again, we haven't totally encountered that situation.

g-mama
03-31-2010, 09:49 AM
Yes, I would absolutely go. I walk my kids into preschool and endure soccer practices and music lessons when I am sick. I am an adult and I know better than to couch and sneeze in people's faces and to keep my distance.

fivi2
03-31-2010, 10:00 AM
I guess what worries me is that there is one boy at swim with respiratory issues who I really don't want to get sick.

I do cover my mouth, etc, but I guess I just don't know how easy it is to spread things...

g-mama
03-31-2010, 10:02 AM
Are you going to be in contact with that boy? I'm guessing not, based on swim practices that I've taken my kids to. So I wouldn't worry about it, really.

Leeannpk
03-31-2010, 10:33 AM
If I felt up to it and was fever free, I'd go to swimming lessons.

I wouldn't think twice about school drop off - I'd have to be almost dead to not drop off my (healthy) child :).

fivi2
03-31-2010, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the input!

I was just curious because people seem to complain when obviously sick adults go to work or other places, so I didn't know if it would annoy people if an obviously sick me went to swim lessons even if the girls were feeling better.

But, dd2 has tanked again so we won't be going anywhere. She is definitely feeling bad again after seeming better yesterday.

m448
03-31-2010, 12:03 PM
I wouldn't. Mostly because going anywhere with my 3 means very active get off your butt parenting and I don't do it very well while sick. At least at home we don't throw in the variables of an outing, other people, wound up kids, etc. Since it's an extra curricular I would stay home and rest.

fivi2
03-31-2010, 12:06 PM
I wouldn't. Mostly because going anywhere with my 3 means very active get off your butt parenting and I don't do it very well while sick. At least at home we don't throw in the variables of an outing, other people, wound up kids, etc. Since it's an extra curricular I would stay home and rest.

Well, at swim lessons, they'd be in the pool and I'd be in the other room standing around with the adults, but I know what you mean about other outings!

m448
03-31-2010, 12:10 PM
Yeah, sorry extrapolating based on my situation. Even if my older two were involved in the class the baby (1 1/2) would be the one I'd be chasing and that girl has way more energy than I do. LOL