PDA

View Full Version : Kids left in car carjacked in Arizona

deborah_r
03-31-2010, 10:36 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/man-steals-car-with-three-kids-inside/story-e6frf7jx-1225847751481

I hurled some choice words at the TV last night watching this news.

Thought this would be relevant to some discussions we've had here recently.

Leeannpk
03-31-2010, 10:45 AM
Leaving you kids in a locked car for a 60 second trip into the store is one thing. Leaving your kids in a car that's running with the keys sitting in the ignition is something else altogether.

What a dimwit.

deborah_r
03-31-2010, 10:49 AM
Thinking about it some more...she supposedly went in to get juice for the kids. Hmmm...where else could one get juice in the morning...oh, let me think...uh, I know! A drive-thru? Maybe not a selection of 20 different kinds , but juice nonetheless.

Then again, maybe she was not going in for juice, but said that because it sounds like a good, motherly thing to say.

But at the very least, lock the car, moron.

ETA: Now I am enraged! I read further, and the news story last night did not indicate this, the mom AND the dad went in the store. One of them could have stayed in the car! And I'm sure there will be no charges against them.

elizabethkott
03-31-2010, 10:53 AM
Oh yeish.
That's just plain stupid.

arivecchi
03-31-2010, 10:55 AM
:eek::47::shake: that is all I can muster....

TwinFoxes
03-31-2010, 10:55 AM
Leaving you kids in a locked car for a 60 second trip into the store is one thing. Leaving your kids in a car that's running with the keys sitting in the ignition is something else altogether.

What a dimwit.

Exactly. I don't think anyone in the thread said they left the keys in the car with it running (!!!) while they went into a store. In the article below it wasn't just juice, it was juice and snacks (so not a quick in out trip) and it was 5am!

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/03/30/20100330phoenix-carjacking-kids-in-car.html

wellyes
03-31-2010, 11:13 AM
Thank goodness the kids are OK.

deborah_r
03-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Exactly. I don't think anyone in the thread said they left the keys in the car with it running (!!!) while they went into a store. In the article below it wasn't just juice, it was juice and snacks (so not a quick in out trip) and it was 5am!

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/03/30/20100330phoenix-carjacking-kids-in-car.html

Oh, no, no, no! I wasn't trying to say people in the thread who left kids in the car were the same as these nimrods! I was more just justifying why I was posting this, because I knew we had recently been talking about it. I was so angry when I was watching this on the news, and I think they right away said no charges for the parents which I just can't believe!!! Negligence? Child endangerment?

sewarsh
03-31-2010, 12:38 PM
Ok, so its 5am...have a long drive ahead of them and want to grab some snacks and juice, but the kids are asleep in backseat.

I could honestly understand pulling up to the curb right outside the shop, but leaving the keys in the ignition and doors unlocked is SO FRICKEN stupid. Are you kidding me?!?!?!

As far as both mom and dad being there and going inside the shop, that's even more horrifying. i didn't read that they were both there, but if that's the case, than its just more baffling. horrendous.

codex57
03-31-2010, 01:21 PM
Why would anyone leave the keys in the ignition?

I suppose I could understand it if it were a tiny community where everyone knows everyone and any stranger would be watched like a hawk. But this was Phoenix! I wouldn't leave my car unlocked even in Scottsdale.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-31-2010, 01:24 PM
IDIOTS! We live in AZ and saw this on the news. I live in small town AZ and would never do that, but in a larger city with more crime, IDIOTS! BOTH parents got out of the car to buy juice and snacks. Really it takes 2 people? After seeing the parents on TV, I have an opinion of them, but it is neither nice nor PC, so I will keep it to myself.

kransden
03-31-2010, 01:45 PM
Here's the link to the Phoenix paper and video of the mom. She is a total idiot. That is not a great neighborhood and the kids were so lucky! There is a lot of human trafficking in Phoenix, and the kids could have never been seen again if car-jacked by the wrong person.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/03/30/20100330phoenix-carjacking-kids-in-car.html?wwparam=1269968458

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Here's the link to the Phoenix paper and video of the mom. She is a total idiot. That is not a great neighborhood and the kids were so lucky! There is a lot of human trafficking in Phoenix, and the kids could have never been seen again if car-jacked by the wrong person.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/03/30/20100330phoenix-carjacking-kids-in-car.html?wwparam=1269968458

I wouldn't leave DD in Flag, but in Phoenix???? I still cannot understand why BOTH parents got out to buy cigarettes, errrrr, I mean juice.

JoyNChrist
03-31-2010, 02:09 PM
I still cannot understand why BOTH parents got out to buy cigarettes, errrrr, I mean juice.

This. I mean, really? Really?! They needed both parents to go in to get stuff? I almost have a hard time believing people can really be so clueless...but then I think of some people I know and it actually makes perfect (sad) sense. :shake:

Melaine
03-31-2010, 02:11 PM
So weird....she "never imagined anything like that could happen"? Really?! REALLY?!?

I do feel really bad for her, she seems so upset, but how can you be that stupid?

Melaine
03-31-2010, 02:12 PM
I mean, really? Really?! .

:rotflmao:Cross-posted with you!

KrisM
03-31-2010, 02:17 PM
So weird....she "never imagined anything like that could happen"? Really?! REALLY?!?

I do feel really bad for her, she seems so upset, but how can you be that stupid?

:yeahthat:

JoyNChrist
03-31-2010, 02:18 PM
:rotflmao:Cross-posted with you!

You know what they say about great minds and all that. ;)

deborah_r
03-31-2010, 02:25 PM
I wouldn't leave DD in Flag, but in Phoenix???? I still cannot understand why BOTH parents got out to buy cigarettes, errrrr, I mean juice.

I was totally thinking cigarettes too. That's what my DH would be stopping for at that time of morning before a long drive. (He stops and smokes outside, in case anyone is wondering. He has not smoked in the car or house since we were pregnant with DS1)

Melaine
03-31-2010, 02:27 PM
You guys are probably right, but at the same time, I'm honestly not sure that girl is smart enough to lie about what they were buying....maybe it really was juice and they really did just think it was fine to go in, buy the juice, and leave the kids in the running car.

lorinick
03-31-2010, 02:43 PM
That is crazy to leave the car running. Even nutty with the kids inside and running with doors unlocked. I'm so happy that those children weren't hurt. I hope the parents have learned their lesson.

DrSally
03-31-2010, 02:55 PM
Ugh. I mean, why didn't one of the parent's stay with the car? Leaving the keys in the car with it running is just so stupid.

almostamom
03-31-2010, 03:16 PM
No, this definitely didn't happen in a good part of Phoenix, but I wouldn't leave my kid in a running car with the doors unlocked in Paradise Valley or North Scottsdale either! At least the suspect didn't hurt the kids and, from what I saw on the news, he got them out of the car and told them to go to a house and ask for help. Despite having their car stolen, this family was very lucky.

Melaine
03-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Yeah, it kind of sounded like the car-jacker was a better caregiver than the parents.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-31-2010, 06:32 PM
Yeah, it kind of sounded like the car-jacker was a better caregiver than the parents.

:hysterical: Sad, but true!