PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle night wakings?

Andi98989
03-31-2010, 11:28 AM
How do you handle middle of the night wakings? DS is waking up at the end of several of his sleep cycles during the night. If I give him his pacifier and blanket he's good to go ... until the next of another sleep cycle an hour or two later. It's exhausting.

When I put him to bed, he either goes right down or I let him fuss for up to 5 minutes, go in and give him his pacifier and blanket and he's out for the "night" (at least a few hours). Last night he went down at 9 without a peep and was up at 1:50, 2:50, 4:40 (could tell he was hungry, gave him a bottle), and up at 7 for the day.

He gets a 15-20 minute snooze in the car in the morning around 8:30 on his way to grandma's, a 20-30 minute nap around 10/10:30, afternoon nap is 1-4 (sometimes does wake during this but goes back down), another 15-20 minute snooze on the way home around 5:45-6. Then he's up until bed.

vecchica
04-02-2010, 09:31 AM
I'm interested to see what people suggest as I'm afraid of becoming a "slave to the paci" in the coming months. Especially now that my baby is becoming hand/mouth obsessed but can't seem to sooth himself with his fingers/thumb!

SnuggleBuggles
04-02-2010, 09:34 AM
I nursed at most every night waking till about 6m. After that we would see if dh could have success with other soothing methods first. Nursing worked though and was fast and easy. I did it laying down so I could doze. If he woke up sooner than 2 hours between eating then dh was in charge before the 6m mark.

eta- neither boy got hooked on bf'ing to sleep and it wasn't a sleep crutch (at least not one that I minded!). By 8-10m they stopped nursing to sleep the first time at night so they went down awake in their cribs no problem. Over time nursing in the middle of the night didn't put them back to sleep so we rolled with that and tried different things. I have a hard time worrying about nursing being a bad sleep habit, as some will say, because in our experience it never was. It worked when I wanted it to then we came up with new strategies when it stopped working for them.

Beth