PDA

View Full Version : Who do you rely on?

klwa
03-31-2010, 01:42 PM
New survey out about who parents trust for parenting advice & when parents believe children can master certain concepts:

http://www.wral.com/lifestyles/goaskmom/blogpost/7334696/

maestramommy
03-31-2010, 01:47 PM
Not sure who was surveyed for his article, but it doesn't really apply to me. Seems like it doesn't apply for a lot of parents on this board either.

arivecchi
03-31-2010, 01:53 PM
Honestly, the BBB is my go-to-source, in addition to my ped. I never ask my mom's or my MIL's advice. It is always outdated.

m448
03-31-2010, 01:56 PM
I have a few sources I trust for information. Even so, the buck stops here so if something doesn't work for us, even from a trusted source I don't do it. Ultimately I trust that God gave me these children and he will equip me to parent them even in my most unperfect state.

BabyMine
03-31-2010, 01:56 PM
It depends on the problem. I mostly ask here but I don't have a problem asking my mom. I also research on my own or trust my instincts.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-31-2010, 01:58 PM
BBB should have been an option!:boogie:

Melaine
03-31-2010, 01:59 PM
I get a lot of advice from my Mom, particularly about behavioral issues, discipline, homeschooling (still in planning phases for us), spiritual guidance. MIL is in China, but she also has a lot of good parenting experience and guidance to share, though she never volunteers it (I know, I'm lucky!)
I do attribute a lot of my parenting style and choices to the way I was raised and my spiritual background/faith.

There are a lot of things that my mom doesn't know as much about, like current childrens' safety standards, etc, but she still knows a BUNCH more than her contemporaries and is really into healthy diet and homeopathic/herbal remedies so she has a lot of interesting stuff to share on that front.

JoyNChrist
03-31-2010, 02:05 PM
For health stuff, I use a combination of the pediatrician and my own research.

For pretty much everything else, I search online (boards like this one), talk to friends, or just rely on my own intuition and abilities. I've really found that the older DS gets, the better I am at figuring things out for myself without needing to consult books or "experts" or whatever.

I don't ask my mom or MIL anything. They're great people and help us out a lot, but they're WAY out of the loop when it comes to baby stuff.

hillview
03-31-2010, 02:52 PM
Not my mom or MIL. I rely on me, this board, my pedi in some cases and other IRL moms (in that order).
/hillary