PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal Allergies - Help!

WatchingThemGrow
03-31-2010, 02:14 PM
My eyeballs are itching like crazy. Whenever I've tried benadryl or loratadine, it has knocked me out. My OB gave me patanol eye drops and some nasal spray last year, but they aren't taking care of it. Should I be taking them in the morning and doing something like Claritin also? Every day for the past week, I've been miserable on the surface - sneezing, runny nose, the eye thing, pressure in my face. DS1's eyes were all red last night and DD kept scratching her eyes during dinner after spending time outside. I gave them zyrtec this morning to see if helps.

What's your allergy routine?

egoldber
03-31-2010, 02:16 PM
For eyes, I would try an OTC eye drop like Zaditor (or the CVS brand equivalent). We have to do this for my older DD at the height of her allergy season.

ETA: Her full routine is.....

Zyrtec in the am (it gives her insomnia at night, which is an uncommon, but well known reaction)
Nasonex at night
Eye drops as needed

She also has allergy induced asthma, but it sounds like you don't have that issue. But she also takes an inhaled steroid morning and night.

Andi98989
03-31-2010, 02:42 PM
Zyrtec came out with eye drops this year. Might be worth giving those a shot.

DrSally
03-31-2010, 02:57 PM
I had that when I was preggo and living in a very wooded area out east. It was not fun, I felt like my eyes were bulging. I think I got the same eyedrops, but never used them (b/c of the pregnancy, but it was safe, I was just paranoid). He did tell me, which I'm sure you know, to keep the window's closed and shower before bedtime, wash pillowcases, etc. in case any pollen gets on them. I hope the zyrtec works for you. I've heard it's suppposed to be more sedating than claritin though.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-31-2010, 03:14 PM
Claritin=Loratidine, so if it makes you drowsy I wouldn't take it.
Do you neti?