PDA

View Full Version : need a baby gift-unusual circumstances

sariana
03-31-2010, 02:28 PM
I need an idea for a baby gift for someone in another country (Pakistan). I do not know this person. His (the father's) family likely is quite poor. I do not know their living conditions or whether they have electricity or anything else.

What would be an appropriate, useful gift for someone in these circumstances? I was thinking receiving blankets always are useful and can be used for many different things. Any other ideas? I am looking for something $10-20, and it needs to be relatively small. It could be more than one item as long as in total they can fit in the largest flat-rate shipping box from the PO (12 x 12 x 6).

Bonus if you know anything about Pakistani culture.

ETA: I don't know if the baby is a boy or a girl, so clothes are difficult.

TIA!

AnnieW625
03-31-2010, 02:36 PM
I have a friend who is Pakistani and grew up with Pakistani kids at school. My friends kids are Muslim, but still very Americanized. On occaision the girls would wear traditional Paki (as they call themselves) outfits to school, but the few boys wore western style clothes. I think receiving blankets would be a good thing and maybe a little plain sweatsuit from Old Navy.

sariana
03-31-2010, 02:45 PM
Thanks, Annie. I should have mentioned that I don't know if the baby is a boy or a girl. "His" referred to the father, not the baby. (I've edited the original post.)

DrSally
03-31-2010, 02:50 PM
I like the receiving blanket idea, also some gender neutral onsies, a gender neutral knit hat, an o-ball or a couple soft blocks or one of those lamaze toys, like freddie the firefly.

Tondi G
03-31-2010, 02:57 PM
Blankets are probably a safe bet! A little pants/jacket outfit would probably be another good option. Even if the baby is a girl they can always use a pair of cotton pants and a little snap cardigan. could go with a gender neutral color... white or ??

http://www.gap.com/browse/outfit.do?cid=54278&oid=OUT17999&mlink=54278,1644161,6&clink=1644161

this little one piece is cute... grey with little stars

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=54085&vid=1&pid=705977

I am sure there are cute cotton patterned footed sleepers at Childrens Place too that would work for a boy or a girl. My little ones lived in these in the beginning. If you have a Carters or children's place outlet near by you might be able to do even better price wise.

http://www.childrensplace.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10001_-1_594358_115124_24101|72472|116846_newborn|outfits |his%20layette_newborns

ltmommy
03-31-2010, 04:08 PM
How about books? One of the best gifts we received for both of my kids was from an aunt who sent a bunch of books.

JBaxter
03-31-2010, 04:18 PM
I'd do a pack of sleep &play outfits they are relatively cheep and and a cotton receiving blanket and socks ( if you find a sale bin)

citymama
03-31-2010, 04:36 PM
I like the receiving blanket idea, also some gender neutral onsies, a gender neutral knit hat, an o-ball or a couple soft blocks or one of those lamaze toys, like freddie the firefly.

I totally agree with this list. Don't get any clothes other than onesies for sure - unless you know more about the gender, cultural issues (are they a traditional or modern family?), climate etc. I think a developmental soft toy would be great since those are hard/impossible to find in Pakistan. Soft cotton receiving blankets would be nice too (although potentially made in Pakistan for Carter's! ;)).

hillview
03-31-2010, 04:40 PM
I feel like I'd go with some picture books or something like that. Clothes and blankets are likely easy to come by from friends and family.
/hillary

baileygirl
03-31-2010, 05:02 PM
I wonder if one of those little grooming kits would be useful? Maybe a small stuffed bear? Package of onesies? Would something like ikea stacking cups fit in there?

sariana
03-31-2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks for all the responses. The problem with books is that I have no idea what would be considered culturally appropriate. I don't want to offend anyone.

I think sleep and plays might work; I just don't know if babies there wear them. I guess if not, they can just not use them.

I'll have to go searching for some gender-neutral basics: sleep and plays, blankets, soft toys.

Thanks again!

strollerqueen
04-01-2010, 01:37 AM
I think money would be the most appreciated gift, with a nice little card to get what they need for the baby, from "Auntie". Although I don't know if that would be considered rude in that culture.

sariana
04-01-2010, 01:41 AM
Oh, I don't actually know this person. He is a domestic helper in the house my DH lives in; DH is stationed there. DH just wants to do something for this man's family. He assumes they do not have much if the father is a domestic helper. DH knows he does not get paid much.

Otherwise I would totally do something like money or a gift card or something.

citymama
04-01-2010, 02:24 AM
Thanks for all the responses. The problem with books is that I have no idea what would be considered culturally appropriate. I don't want to offend anyone.

I think sleep and plays might work; I just don't know if babies there wear them. I guess if not, they can just not use them.

I'll have to go searching for some gender-neutral basics: sleep and plays, blankets, soft toys.

Thanks again!

Oh, I don't actually know this person. He is a domestic helper in the house my DH lives in; DH is stationed there. DH just wants to do something for this man's family. He assumes they do not have much if the father is a domestic helper. DH knows he does not get paid much.

Otherwise I would totally do something like money or a gift card or something.

OK, can I just say this is a really nice thing to do? And yes, you are right to avoid books and most clothing in this context. Here's what I would suggest - and it will be most appreciated, no matter what the gender and cultural context:
--light cotton onesies 3 pack, perhaps in two sizes in gender neutral colors. if it's warm, the baby can just wear the onesie. If it's cool, they can layer. given that it's april, and the midst of the hot season, I can't imagine that sleep and plays would work.
--developmental toy, like Lamaze - definitely do this because the family is unlikely to get something like this locally.
--optional: cotton beanie and 100% cotton receiving blankets