PDA

View Full Version : Glider Boards/Hitchhikers

JoyNChrist
03-31-2010, 02:48 PM
Are these really worth it?

I'm 99% sure we're going to order the BJCMD for the twins. I noticed that Baby Jogger is offering a "glider board" in June that holds up to 45 pounds. I'm wondering if that would be something we would want for DS. He'll be 3.5 when the twins arrive (currently 34 pounds), so he should be fine walking for the most part, but I was wondering if this might be a good option for if he gets tired.

The thing I'm wondering is, if you have one of these on your stroller, does your DC really stay on it? I'm thinking there's a possibility for it to turn into more trouble than it's worth, with him wanting to jump off or whatever.

arivecchi
03-31-2010, 02:56 PM
I have a hitch hiker on my Valco and DS1 (3 y 3 mo) will stay on it for short trips. For longer trips, I take the double because he jumps off the board after a while and it is dangerous for him to do that in the city. I have to say that he is getting better at staying on the board so your DS may just be the perfect age for it.

Melaine
03-31-2010, 02:58 PM
I honestly think if I were you I would be tempted to get it EVEN if it will only serve as a sitting spot when you are stopped. I'm just guessing you will have a lot of stopping and starting when you have new twins in tow! I do know one of DDs has started asking to ride in the grocery cart again, so I think at least one of my 3 year olds would get use out of this kind of board.

AnnieW625
03-31-2010, 04:29 PM
I was thinking of getting one for my Vista (if we decide to keep it once #2 is here) until a couple of weeks ago when I was at the mall and I saw a girl who is the same size/height a as DD using one on a Bugaboo and all of sudden flip over backwards going down a wheelchair/stroller ramp when the ramp hit the flat floor again (at this mall there are ramps and groups of 4-5 step stairs all over the place). I am sure it was a freak accident, but it just kind of freaked me out. If we were to get one I'd most likely just use it from our house to the park 1/4 mile away, and maybe at theme parks, but not for long walks or anything.

jacksmoma
03-31-2010, 04:57 PM
MAYBE at 3.5 it will work...i know that now at 2.5 years my ds is not old enought to get he has to stay on the board so we returned it....i just use a single when we are doing quick trips that ds can walk or a double rarely if it's a long day out. maybe you could sling one of the twins and the 3.5 year old could ride? you could try the board and see if you toddler will stay on...really depends how active the child is and mine is a runner!

BeachBum
03-31-2010, 07:11 PM
We have a lascal board that we use on our Mountain Buggy. My DS was 3 when my twins were born and we have loved having the board. My hubby rigged it so it would work with our BJCM and it's nice.
More than anything I like having a "safe spot" to make my oldest stand when we are in a busy area. Sure, he walks for the most part, but I can make him get on for crossing the street, or in a parking lot or whatever.
Mine attaches/detaches pretty easily, so if I'm not using it I often just keep it in the basket of the stroller. It's out of my way, but there if I need it.

On the other hand, if you are anything like me...you just simply will not be going as many places anymore. I was always out and about when I had just one. Now, it is a really different story with the twins and my preschooler.

jacksmoma
03-31-2010, 09:29 PM
the board idea didn't work for us yet as my son is 2 1/2 and hoped on and off way too much- too much freedom and he just isn't old enough to understand he sometimes needs to stay on- what works great for us though is this plastic handle called the "tagalong" that's $10 and attaches to any stroller- when i need my son to be safe crossing a street or whatever i have him hold on, it works really surprisingly well! he likes holding on :) i just did not like a board, it was really annoying to walk with it on, i'd rather push my bjcmd when i need a double or do the single/handle thing for most quick trips. hth!

WatchingThemGrow
03-31-2010, 09:42 PM
We have 1) the bugaboo board on a Bug 2) the Hitchhiker on our BJCED and a 3.5 yo.

All kids are different. My 3.5yo has never been a board-lover, except when she figured out how to stand on the board backwards and ride that way, lol. She loves to ride and has consistently made me carry/wear one of the boys so she could sit. I decided it wasn't a battle I wanted to fight, so she rides and someone else gets another form of transportation. SO, from early on...maybe when he was 16-18 mos, DS1 would ride on the Bugaboo board and hold on well enough. HE's the one who uses the boards most often now. Another thing they like to do is for the extra person to sit in the footwell of the stroller and lay back to catch a ride. The Elite works better for this than the Mini, but we've done it on both. There's a little bit of kicking that goes on here.

Also, the wrist strap on the Elite is very helpful for DS1, who ends up happily being the walker/board-rider/footwell rider.... he holds onto the strap and walks along side us. I don't think the Mini has one, though, does it? I should know this since I own it, but I'm thinking it doesn't.