PDA

View Full Version : Interesting op-ed piece about happiness

Krisrich
03-31-2010, 03:22 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/30/opinion/30brooks.html

Reminds me of my priorities...

DrSally
03-31-2010, 03:33 PM
Good read. I have heard the income stuff before. It was interesting to see how commute was tied to happiness!

ETA: This, " In short, modern societies have developed vast institutions oriented around the things that are easy to count, not around the things that matter most." reminds me of the Einstein quote--"Not everything that matters can be measured, and not everything that can be measured matters" (or something to that effect). I love that quote, b/c sometimes it seems we're obsessed with measurement, but so many very important (relational) things can't be measured well (but still shouldn't be discounted).

maestramommy
03-31-2010, 04:01 PM
Interesting! Though not necessarily new. I think most of us already agree with what was written. As a side note, I'm sorry Sandra Bullock was the opening example. Not the writer's fault, but I think she deserves better.

crazydiamond
03-31-2010, 04:53 PM
"If you have an unsuccessful marriage, it doesn’t matter how many career triumphs you record, you will remain significantly unfulfilled"

“Marital happiness is far more important than anything else in determining personal well-being”

That's exactly what my pastor told us during premarital counseling -Career? Children? Friends? Family? Religion? helping others? Chocolate Chip Cookies?... forget it! Your marriage should always be happy and satisfying till death do you part. Your spouse will never let you down, always bring you happiness, and always leave you fulfilled......and if they don't make this happen for you - can leave em!

Or something NOT like that.

P.S. the Sandra thing was a bad example. I read somewhere that 60-80 percent of marriages that involve adultery - survive. What is a successful marriage anyway?

citymama
03-31-2010, 05:20 PM
For once, a David Brooks column I agree with all the way!

P.S. the Sandra thing was a bad example. I read somewhere that 60-80 percent of marriages that involve adultery - survive. What is a successful marriage anyway?

But what does a marriage "surviving" mean? It's not an indicator of marital health or happiness; just of the absence of divorce. Just because a woman might stay with her adulterous spouse (or vice versa) doesn't mean all's well in their relationship.

Still feeling sorry for Sandra and the fact that her career high point is robbed from her by this jerk!