PDA

View Full Version : Pain relief during childbirth other than epidural?

citymama
03-31-2010, 08:16 PM
During my first labor, things moved slowly but I was doing OK for the first oh, 15 hours, until we started with the pitocin to "move things along" and the epidural I had decided I would take if I ended up "needing" pit. I experienced hypotension in reaction to the epidural, my BP ended up insanely low and for the first time, the baby showed signs of distress. Anyway, fast forward an hour and they were wheeling me in for a c/s.

If I try for a VBAC this time (which is the current plan), I know that I would want to avoid the epidural given this past experience - but I also know I may want some pain relief/management options if it ends up being another lengthy labor. Did any of you try other options (nitrous oxide, etc)? How did they work? I am not confident in my superwoman abilities of birthing completely unmedicated, esp. when it comes to transition and pushing, but never having experienced those phases, I have no way of knowing.

We've also done nothing in terms of childbirth classes this time around, but to be honest I didn't feel like i used much of the info from our class with the first labor! Book suggestions would be welcome. I am also talking to a potential childbirth doula later this week.

Thanks for any suggestions and advice.

sariana
03-31-2010, 08:24 PM
I was given something related to Demerol when laboring with my DS. It didn't help much, so I ended up getting an epidural. There are risks associated with it, as it does pass through the placenta and etc.

I should note I was in labor at 32 weeks. I had had NO childbirth classes, and I was terrified. We took a class before having DD, and I think if I had had that before DS, things would have been A LOT better. (DD was breech and ended up as a c-section, so the class was useless. But that's a different story.) The not-Demerol (sorry I can't remember what it was called) might have been enough to take the edge off if I had any other coping mechanisms, such as what I learned in the class the second time.

FWIW, I've heard second and subsequent labors tend to go much faster. I don't know from experience, though, as I was not allowed to labor with DD since she was breech and preterm.

sarahsthreads
03-31-2010, 08:37 PM
I don't know much about other pain meds.

I will say that the first time around we took a hospital birthing class, and I felt that I got *nothing* out of it, except that I left feeling more scared of the whole labor & delivery bit than I was before we started the classes. (And believe me, I was pretty scared to begin with!)

The second time around we took an actual lamaze class not connected to the hospital at all, and what I got out of that class - besides the somewhat more useful pain management techniques - was confidence. Also, the number for our fabulous doula. :)

Good luck!
Sarah :)

JoyNChrist
03-31-2010, 08:40 PM
Have you looked into using a TENS machine? They're very popular in many parts of Europe. I ordered one (around $60 with shipping to the U.S.) and hope to use it during labor (assuming Baby A is head-down and I get to attempt a vaginal delivery).

ETA - I'm a huge fan of Bradley classes! I'm learning so much more this time around than I did in the hospital class I took before DS was born.

Raidra
03-31-2010, 08:41 PM
With my first two, I had epidurals but no narcotics. I knew I didn't want anything that would mess with my head, so that ruled out things like Demerol and Nubain. I was lucky in that the epidurals worked wonderfully. Prior to the epidurals, I had a really difficult time handling the contractions, even though it was only early labor. I was, for the most part, restricted to bed.

For my third, I had a homebirth, even though I was really scared about the pain of natural childbirth. I read a lot (I think Penny Simkin's book The Birth Partner was really helpful in showing different positions and techniques might help with pain relief) and I did the Hypnobabies homestudy course. Hypnobabies is a 5 week course, so that's still an option for you if you decide to go that route. My birth ended up being so much better than I had ever imagined. I can't stress enough how helpful it was to be able to change positions and move around as I wanted. Whenever I lied down, the contractions were unbearable, but so long as I stayed upright, it wasn't bad at all.

I'm not a huge proponent of natural childbirth, I really don't care one way or another how people labor. :) I know that if I were to have another hospital birth where I'd be stuck in bed, I'd almost certainly get an epidural. But I just wanted to point out that you might be able to cope better if you can assume any position you feel comfortable in.. it's not necessarily going to be as bad as you imagine. :)

wellyes
03-31-2010, 08:59 PM
I'm all for natural childbirth if that's what you want, but no way would I suggesting attempting that route without taking a class and preparing yourself mentally.

You should ask your OB about narcotic analgesics - IV drugs can dull the pain of labor and relax you. It is not as effective as an epidural but it has fewer side effects.

pb&j
03-31-2010, 09:03 PM
My first was stillborn at 24 weeks, and I did not have an epi for that one. I had nubain and some other narcotics. I DID NOT like them at all! The nurses said it wouldn't make the pain go away, but it would make me not care. Not true! I had ALL the pain of a natural labor, but I was so doped up I just couldn't cope with it at all. I really, really hated not being in control.

When I was pregnant with DS and later with DD, I knew I wanted an epidural or nothing at all. I didn't get the epi with either kid until pretty far along in my labors, and it was much easier to deal with the pain being fully conscious and unmedicated than it had been when I had nubain on board.

I'd look in to hypnobabies - great relaxation techniques that are far better at pain management than narcotics are. I didn't do the full course, but I did read the books and practice a lot of the breathing techniques prior. I found them similar to yoga breathing techniques I was already familiar with.

Indianamom2
03-31-2010, 09:11 PM
Well, I had my first with absolutely no pain meds and a 12+ hour total labor. Honestly, it wasn't that bad. I didn't really notice a transition period (I went to the doctor at 7 cm...I had no idea I was that far along!) and had DD about 3 hours later. They broke my water in the hospital and that took me from 8-9 straight to 10. I pushed for a little over an hour and a half and while that wasn't terribly painful per se, but it was uncomfortable and just a LOT of hard work.

My plan was to go natural with Ds #2 as well. We had to induce with him, and that was just miserable. The cervadil threw me into overdrive and I started contracting one right on top of the other for hours. Then they took that out and I was still contracting every minute or two (but not really progressing). After spending quite a few hours like that, they broke my water and I started making slow progress. I did that for about 18 hours, but I finally just couldn't do it any longer. I was exhausted and I just hurt. I tried Nubain first. I honestly wouldn't do that again as it did absolutely nothing to take away the pain, it only made me incredibly dizzy and icky feeling. After trying that for about an hour, I opted for the epidural and all was beautiful after that! :)

So, I guess I would have to say that the pain level can totally depend on the baby's position and so many other things. Going natural is completely doable, but if you go that route...stay out of bed and move around as much as possible. It really does help.

JBaxter
03-31-2010, 09:15 PM
I had something with Logan ? stadol maybe? It TOTALLY messed with my head. The contractions felt MUCH worse because I could not consentrate. I refused any type of pain med with the other boys and went with the epidural. My epidurals never slowed my labors they actually relaxed me and things went quicker

Carrots
03-31-2010, 09:16 PM
I experienced hypotension in reaction to the epidural, my BP ended up insanely low

I don't have any advice for you, but I had the same thing happen to me. My epidural sarted off 1 sided (left side was numb, but I could feel everything on the right). They gave me an IV bolus every hour, followed up quickly by some b/p meds. It worked and I had a great delivery, but the b/p thing was scary. DD was fine after delivery.

My first pregnancy ended in the stillbirth of my triplets. The birth was just a terrible experience all around, but I also had the 1 sided epi. and b/p drop happen then too. I wasn't given anything to help with the 1 sided pain, but they did help with the b/p.

I am sorry it happened to you too. Hope you find a different pain management protocol. Let me know what you decide. :)

o_mom
03-31-2010, 09:33 PM
Hypnobirthing worked very well for me - I had a nearly pain-free L&D with DS3 after an epi with DS1 and an insanely painful natural birth with DS2.

KpbS
03-31-2010, 10:40 PM
I had something with Logan ? stadol maybe? It TOTALLY messed with my head. The contractions felt MUCH worse because I could not consentrate. I refused any type of pain med with the other boys and went with the epidural. My epidurals never slowed my labors they actually relaxed me and things went quicker

I had the opposite experience w/ stadol for my first. My water broke but 12 hrs. later I wasn't dialating like I should so they cranked the pitocin up and that was just unbearable. The stadol knocked me out (I'd been awake having contractions all night) and after sleeping for an hour and a half, I was ready to push.

Momof3Labs
03-31-2010, 10:57 PM
I had an epidural with my first that didn't work so well. My second was drug-free, but my midwife was able to use a sterile water shot in my back to ease my back labor for a period of about 45 minutes. It was enough to take the edge off and get me through what ended up being a 9 hour labor. The ability to change positions was my best friend - I spent a lot of time on the birthing ball, leaning over the end of the bed. Much better than being stuck in bed with a bad epidural and not being able to move around to cope with the pain.

There's also the tub/shower.

essnce629
04-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Definately look into taking a Hypnobabies course. If you have an actual class in your area that would be best, but if not you could do the home study course if you're dedicated. I'm a doula and have seen some awesome unmedicated and calm hypnobabies births. I love their pregnancy hypnosis cds too. I had a really hard time falling asleep when I was pregnant, till I got the hypnobabies insomnia cd. I listened to it every single night of my pregnancy and was fast asleep before the cd even ended.

http://hypnobabies.com/

Also look into laboring/birthing in water. Water is called the "midwives epidural." I've had two unmedicated home waterbirths and couldn't have done it without my birthing tub. I spent the majority of my labors in the water. It makes the intensity of the contractions 10 times less!

I'd think about hiring a doula too. Women who have a doula are a lot less likely to need an epidural and it lowers their chance of having a c-section as well. I'd definately have a doula if I was planning a vbac.

Try and avoid any pitocin as well, especially with a vbac. Getting induced increases your chance of ending up with a c-section and pitocin makes the contractions a lot more painful, longer, and closer together than normal contractions.

citymama
04-01-2010, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the great responses, everyone. Latia, I was so inspired by your amazing water birth story (and now Beth/brittone2's)! But I fear I am not the superwoman I envision both of you being. ;)

Truth be told, I was surprised by my ability to tolerate pain - work thru the pain - with my the first labor. I didn't sit or lie down until the pitocin was administered about 15 hrs into labor, but by that point I was quite tired. I spent most of my labor in the shower - the hospital I was in didn't have a tub and they kept running out of hot water, in the midst of a New England winter! Brrr. The hospital I'll be at this time has tubs and encourages laboring in the tub (although no water births allowed). They have all the waterproof monitoring stuff - I tested GBS positive so I think they will have me hooked up. :(

I am talking to two doulas later this week, and hopefully I will be able to afford to hire one of them (and they will be available around the time of my due date)! DH was tremendously supportive during my first labor, but my midwife wasn't particularly hands-on, and I think a good doula is going to be essential to support both DH and me. I will look into hypnobirthing as well - I know DH will be skeptical, but I am definitely open to any techniques and aids that could help make this VBAC succeed. Happily accepting any good birthing vibes and karma from all you amazing women!

maestramommy
04-01-2010, 07:13 AM
I've only had epidurals (for the first two, Laurel was natural), but a couple of my friends had Demerol and said it made them feel really loopy. I've heard of people having great success with Hypnobabies and Hypnobirthing (two different courses). I just didn't have time or motivation to listen to all the CDs. There are IRL classes, and you might want to check out your area.

I will say that with my last birthing, the pain didn't really hit until I was lying down. And of course, being told you're too late for the epidural has an effect on your mindset:p. It did really hurt, but in the end the whole experience was not as bad as I thought it would be. Of course, it was over really FAST (20 minutes).

egoldber
04-01-2010, 07:27 AM
I will look into hypnobirthing as well - I know DH will be skeptical

One thing I liked about hypnobirthing is that I didnt need DH to be involved. It was all about training your mind to relax and getting into your zone. I did hypnobirthing and not hynobabies (I think that's the one with several CDs?) and all I did was listen at night as I was falling asleep for the last few weeks of my pregnancy.

Raidra
04-01-2010, 08:11 AM
One thing I liked about hypnobirthing is that I didnt need DH to be involved. It was all about training your mind to relax and getting into your zone. I did hypnobirthing and not hynobabies (I think that's the one with several CDs?) and all I did was listen at night as I was falling asleep for the last few weeks of my pregnancy.

Yeah, my husband isn't really involved in the whole Hypnobabies thing at all. He stays up later than me, so I put on a script and fall asleep while he's still at the computer. After a few weeks, he started repeating back some of the stuff he's overheard. :)

brittone2
04-01-2010, 10:05 AM
citymama-
You practice yoga, no? Hypnobabies is really just deep relaxation. No clucking like a chicken or anything. The breathing is kinda like you might do in yoga...inhale for 4 through your nose, exhale out your mouth for 8. I took Hypnobirthing (mongan method) with my oldest (did an in-person class) and it worked beautifully. During the class I kept wondering how it could work as I didn't "feel" hypnotized. But when I was in labor, it was fantastic and it worked great. I never had DH read scripts to me or anything...I always just listened to the CDs on my own. Most people prefer Hypnobabies to Hypnobirthing...I had a great experience w/ Hypnobirthing but my instructor gave us a CD she made herself with additional tracks, so I had a lot more variety than Hypnobirthing typically offers.

With my 2nd child I used the hypnobabies self study course (the supplementary one which was meant for people that did Mongan) Hypnobirthing previously. Worked great. Again, never had DH read me scripts, etc....I just listened to the CDs and practiced on my own.

This time around I used both Hypnobirthing and HYpnobabies. My labor was more intense this time but it was still really helpful, as was the water.

I'm definitely not superwoman. With my oldest, as long as I was *moving* and listening to my CDs, my labor was virutally painless. With him I did the EFM strips once per hour and that was uncomfy until my doula advocated for me so that they could do the EFM readings (which in my case, I personally would have declined looking back now...) with me sitting on the ball or leaning over the back of the bed, etc. If I was stuck on my back in bed I would have been miserable. I just can't labor like that.

I just had intermittent doppler checks (no EFM strips) w/ my 2nd and since I didn't have to stop moving....it was a very, very easy labor.

I always practiced my Hypnosis stuff in bed at night, etc. but in practice, in labor I always have felt the need to move...walk, sway, sit on the birthing ball, kneel leaning over the birthing ball, be on all 4s, etc. That was tremendously helpful for me.

I think if you practice yoga already, you'd like hypnosis. It just feels like guided/progressive relaxation/meditation...no weird clucking like a chicken stuff ;) Part of hypobabies program also includes a "fear release", which has been helpful for me all 3 times, and I would think w/ a vbac you might find that particularly helpful, along with the "birth affirmations" in both programs. My husband was supportive of me using hypnosis, but they way I labor, there is no way I would want him reading a script to me. I prefer to "be in my own head" while listening to the tracks, etc. He knows that and is a fantastic support person by bringing me drinks, etc. and letting me do my thing without interruption.

wishing you the best. Hypnosis for me was really, tremendously helpful. I was hesitant to take the class with my oldest (my instructor taught an in home class that was more traditional, but the timeline didn't work well for us). I started looking into it and thought the deep relaxation thing made more sense than some other techniques and was worth a try.

Having a doula would be my other major recommendation.

Katigre
04-01-2010, 10:26 AM
I found the single biggest pain relief was switching positions and someone touching me firmly with counterpressure during every contraction. During my labor with DD (a homebirth, so no drugs) I did a few contractions without one of my labor support people there touching and talking me through it and it was TERRIBLE (and I was only ~5cm at the time), but the ones where they were talking me through it made a complete difference - the intensity was cut in half if not more, and I was just more able to focus and relax through them.

I also did the Hypnobabies Homestudy Course and found that the self-hypnosis techniques and listening to the CD's were a huge aid.

Even during transition, I remember thinking "Going to the hospital for an epidural right now wouldn't be any better than what I have going here" and I never asked for drugs or to transfer.

I also found that laying down in any way was excruciating - absolutely excruciating. I tried it once around 4cm to be checked internally and couldn't do it - I ended up standing and squatting to be checked which was 100x better.

I personally could not do narcotics because those get to the baby and can affect them negatively, especially if you get them too late in labor and they're born groggy and out of it (makes nursing difficult).

If I were you I would do Hypnobabies or a Bradley childbirth class (which are VERY different than a typical hospital birth class) and would get a doula - a person can provide pain relief that is as effective or more effective than a narcotic like Demorol. :)

JTsMom
04-01-2010, 10:41 AM
I took Mongan Hypnobirthing classes with DS. When labor started, I never got to the point where I was actively using the techniques, but I do think the mindset it gave me was very helpful. Like Beth described, I had to be up, moving and in my own head, and I had always listened to the scripts lying still in bed, so it just didn't seem to "fit" somehow. I was doing perfectly fine until the EFM started being a non-stop thing (supposed decels), and they wanted me in bed, lying perfectly still, at which point I just lost all control.

This time around, I skipped doing any classes, have been doing some reading on Bradley techniques, and just practicing relaxation. I want to break out my CDs, but haven't done so yet- there just never seems to be time until bedtime, and then I'm exhausted and don't want to do anything- even actively relax. LOL I'm also hiring a doula, which I think would have been the best thing I could've done for myself last time. Live and learn. DH is a great husband. He is not good labor support though. He gets too freaked out and just freezes.

Anyway, one other option that you hardly ever hear about is a paracervical block. Very few doctors do them, and I know very little about them, but I think the story is that they used to be common, some were doing them with a different drug though, and problems were resulting. One doctor around here does them very routinely though, and has great success. The way I've heard it described is that it just takes the edge off, doesn't last for too long, but can get you through the toughest parts with just a little help. It might be worth looking into. Sorry I don't know anything more about them.

chottumommy
04-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Adding my birth experience though I have no drug options other than a epidural that I know of.

I had a 20 hour home labour and then a 5 hour hospital labour but did it with no drugs and it was less painful than a papsmear. What helped me most was the fact that I did not (vehemently opposed) them from breaking my water. My son was born with the water bag intact. It felt like a water balloon gliding down my birth canal and I had pressure pain but it actually felt good to labour (like doing intense yoga stretches) and I did not tear at all. The baby was born just as the doctor was getting into the room and since I didn't tear, she made sure the placenta was delivered and that was it.

Basically don't allow them to break your water specially to speed labour. It really helps reduce the pain and the intenseness of the transition.

AnnieW625
04-01-2010, 11:55 AM
My epidurals never slowed my labors they actually relaxed me and things went quicker

The epidural I got was a last ditch effort for me (I hate needles so I went in wanting to do the whole thing naturally), but like Jeana it didn't have any adverse effects of my labor.

I had a very odd labor and went to the hospital way too early looking back on things, however I can't really fault myself for doing so knowing the information I had on hand. Four days prior to DD being born I had gone to my ob and he said that I was 4/1/2 cm. and I could give birth that night or in two weeks. So three days later I felt like I had to pee all day and that evening was having not so painful, but steady contractions so we went to the hospital. I was 5/1/2 cm. by then so dr. checked me into the hospital, and hooked up to my penicilin drip for the Strep B. . Well within an hour or two my labor stalled. Three hours after getting into the hospital night nurse decided it would be best to break my water, not knowing any better I agreed. Three hours later my labor was still stalled and supervising doctor came in and said that pitocin was a must as they had to get the baby out. In less than 3 hrs. I went from 5/1/2 cm. to 10/1/2 cm. and the first two hours was with no meds (all I remember was screaming) because the hospital was soo busy that it took them over an hour to get me an epidural after my husband had requested it, right after the pitocin had started. Once the epidural started it calmed me down a lot and I remember being over joyed when a new delivery nurse came in and told me I could start pushing. I delivered her in just over an hour and wanted to be done by 2 so I wouldn't have to get a new bag of penicilin.

For #2 I want to stay at home as long as possible and thankfully I am delivering at a different hospital (private; did public last time) where I hope there won't be the stress to get every single patient out of L&D quickly (which I have since heard from other people that pitocin is common if your labor is not going well at hospital #1). I want to avoid an epidural too unless I have to have pitocin again. I'll find out about the Strep B this week. Who knows what will happen though.

Good luck to you!

JoyNChrist
04-01-2010, 12:55 PM
I actually forgot that I had Stadol until I read some of the responses here. All it did was make me loopy - the contractions still hurt like heck, I just couldn't really deal with them because I was so out of it. Definitely not something I'd want again.

o_mom
04-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Did you have the baby, Beth?

Congratulations!!! I must have missed the announcement!

klwa
04-01-2010, 01:00 PM
With DS, i had 3 shots of Stadol. They made me a bit loopy, enough that I could rest between contractions, but didn't really do anything for the pain. I remember trying to explain that that was what they were SUPPOSED to do to DH, but I was loopy, so, he thought I was crazy talking.

With DD, I just went natural. In a lot of ways MUCH nicer than the druggy feeling.

brittone2
04-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Did you have the baby, Beth?

Congratulations!!! I must have missed the announcement!

Nak-
Sorry for the threadjack. Yep, I'm a mama to 3 now :) I posted a little update in an 'expecting mommies thread" a few days back.

Thanks for the congrats!

catpagmo
04-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Nak-
Sorry for the threadjack. Yep, I'm a mama to 3 now :) I posted a little update in an 'expecting mommies thread" a few days back.

Thanks for the congrats!

That's deserving of it's own thread IMO! Congratulations!

citymama
04-19-2010, 03:51 AM
I'm all for natural childbirth if that's what you want, but no way would I suggesting attempting that route without taking a class and preparing yourself mentally.

So this thread and everything (literally, everything) posted on it has haunted me for weeks, in particular the sentence above. Initially, I think it paralyzed me into fear that I was inadequate to the task, unprepared, untrained, inexperienced and not the superwoman I imagine NCB moms to be. I felt naive for even trying to go this route - and then reminded myself a) it's not a choice for me so much as necessary if I am to have a VBAC rather than a repeat c, given that my epidural directly contributed to the first c-section. b) many women all over the world give birth sans drugs every day, and almost none of them have even heard of hypnobirthing (!). c) Maybe you guys are right and I can try and be better prepared for this!

So your replies gave me the kick in the rear I knew I needed to actively focus on what it might mean to have an unmedicated VBAC (which is still the plan). The biggest step in that direction is we've hired a doula, someone who has been a licensed rural midwife for 15 years and a birth doula for another 18 years - 33 yrs experience in all, and many of those VBACs. She also has a lot of experience working with the staff at the hospital where I'll be delivering.

So I hang my head in shame that I have not taken a hypnobirthing/babies class despite all your good advice, but I hope that my years of yoga and breathing practice should come in handy. Hey, I did make it through 20+ hrs of unmedicated labor the last time (although never got to the toughest parts of transition and pushing). But I am also the most wimpy, pain-averse person out there!

I could use more positive thoughts, encouragement and suggestions on NCB , so please send some my way! I am not sure what will end up happening with this birth, but I definitely appreciate your good wishes and support. :hug:

MoJo
04-19-2010, 06:28 AM
I did Bradley classes, but I found Ina Mae Gaskin's books very helpful in just reading lots of positive stories of natural birth. It reinforces what you said: women have been doing this for a very long time, and most of the time (I say that only because my water broke on its own, but then I DIDN'T go into labor, so I ended up with pitocin and then and epi) our bodies know what to do. It's the kind of book you can pick up and put down, not a study, but very encouraging. (My midwives recommended those books).

Sounds like you found a WONDERFUL doula :cheerleader1: She might have resources to share, if you have time and desire to do anything else to be prepared.

o_mom
04-19-2010, 06:53 AM
It really isn't too late to get some hypnobirthing going. The Hypnobirthing book is available at Borders or B&N and comes with a CD. I was able to pick it up in store and start right away. I bought a second CD from the website for variety. The book/CD was like $25, so not a big investment. It won't be a full course, but I think it could still help.

You do NOT need to be superwoman. I had an epidural with DS1 after lots of painful labor. DS2 was natural only because there was no time for any drugs.... I was begging for them when we got to the hospital. I do not have a high pain tolerance or any other superwoman qualities. :)

Last thing... do not let them break your water - that makes it more painful, IME.

ehlana06
04-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Nubain helped me a very little bit the first dose I was given on the first day of my labor (I was in labor for 2 days). The second dose did absolutely nothing for me ( except make me completely out of it) so I decided against any more. I just went natural from there. I had studied Hypnobirthing and that really helped me relax and calm down during labor. That above all helped me with the pain.

m448
04-19-2010, 09:39 AM
I think the ONLY preparation a woman preparing for NCB in a hospital setting needs is knowing how to say NO and say it often. Educating yourself on what women naturally do during labor when uncoached (check out Janet Balaskus Active Birth) and what experienced providers like midwives (not medwives) do when they come to an obstacle. You're right citymama, women all over the world give birth without meds and knowing that their bodies are built for childbirth despite being small, large or medium. What hinders we women in the US (in the hospital) is the slew of "oh we're just going to try a little pitocin, epidural, here lay down on the bed, a little more monitoring" until we end up at "you NEED the c-section" and then the triumphant, "but my doc save the baby's life!" No, the doc endangered the baby's life and then saved his own rear.

ehlana06
04-19-2010, 09:49 AM
I think the ONLY preparation a woman preparing for NCB in a hospital setting needs is knowing how to say NO and say it often. Educating yourself on what women naturally do during labor when uncoached (check out Janet Balaskus Active Birth) and what experienced providers like midwives (not medwives) do when they come to an obstacle. You're right citymama, women all over the world give birth without meds and knowing that their bodies are built for childbirth despite being small, large or medium. What hinders we women in the US (in the hospital) is the slew of "oh we're just going to try a little pitocin, epidural, here lay down on the bed, a little more monitoring" until we end up at "you NEED the c-section" and then the triumphant, "but my doc save the baby's life!" No, the doc endangered the baby's life and then saved his own rear.

:yeahthat:
I still feel that being induced was an awful decision. My labor was 2 days long and horrible the whole time! Also I don't think that DS was ready to come out. Say no and be strong about it. My doc pressured me into being induced when I didn't really need to be and now I regret not standing up for myself.

JTsMom
04-19-2010, 11:02 AM

There are some good points here, imo. Sounds a lot like DS's birth.

It's sounds like you've to a good team assembled, and I think that's far more important that taking any classes. Do you have a day (or even a couple of hours) where you could go hang out at B&N and flip through a couple of the books mentioned here? That might boost up your confidence a bit. If you're the type of person who feels stronger when they get a bit fired up, think about watching The Business of Being Born. It's a real eye opener, and ticked me off so much that it made me even more determined. :p The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth is another good tool for that.

Since you already have some relaxation techniques under your belt, do you think you can walk yourself through some fear release type exercises? I try to do something like that every few days, and I just remind myself of the facts, and that a lot of the stuff that sounds so scary is based on- well, just fear, not evidence. Hard numbers are very comforting to me.

vonfirmath
04-19-2010, 03:14 PM

You should ask your OB about narcotic analgesics - IV drugs can dull the pain of labor and relax you. It is not as effective as an epidural but it has fewer side effects.

I got one of these in my labor. It lasted for about an hour -- and when they "redid" it it didn't work at all. Not that useful, in my experience.

citymama
04-19-2010, 03:25 PM
It's sounds like you've to a good team assembled, and I think that's far more important that taking any classes. Do you have a day (or even a couple of hours) where you could go hang out at B&N and flip through a couple of the books mentioned here? That might boost up your confidence a bit. If you're the type of person who feels stronger when they get a bit fired up, think about watching The Business of Being Born. It's a real eye opener, and ticked me off so much that it made me even more determined. :p The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth is another good tool for that.

Since you already have some relaxation techniques under your belt, do you think you can walk yourself through some fear release type exercises? I try to do something like that every few days, and I just remind myself of the facts, and that a lot of the stuff that sounds so scary is based on- well, just fear, not evidence. Hard numbers are very comforting to me.

Thank you all for the continued advice and support. JTsMom, I seem to recall you will also be trying for a VBAC in June, and I wish you all the best with it! I have the Hypnobabies book on hold at the library and will pick it up as soon as it arrives. Our doula (who is also a long-time childbirth educator) will be giving us essentially a one-on-one childbirth class at our pre-natal visit this week (we've had one visit so far, and she will do 2 more 3hr long prenatal visits). She spent some time with me talking about the fear issues, and was very comforting - although the fears crept back in my brain a day later!

MoJo - I also loved the Ina May book the last time - haven't cracked it open this time, but I need to. Can you tell that childbirth reading isn't something I've been doing much of this time around? ;)

m448 - couldn't agree more!

JTsMom
04-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Yep, that's me. :) Your doula sounds amazing! As for the fears, I'm definitely not totally immune! But just keep going back and looking at the statistics. You're a smart woman, and you decided on this path for a reason. Every birth has risk, be it a first time birth, or a VBAC. It's not that the risks aren't real, but if you find the best care providers you can, and are smart about the choices you and they make, the risks aren't high at all. It's too late to back out at this point, so one way or the other the baby is coming out! LOL Might as well choose the safest possible option and make peace with it, right?

Didn't you and I talk about ICAN several months back? Lurking there helps me a lot when I start second guessing myself. Hearing all of the positive stories really gives me some perspective. We even have the area's super supportive of VBACs OB on our board, and listening to him explain things is reassuring as well (even though he's not my doctor). Plus, his stats are SO amazingly good that hearing those alone helps.

ETA: What week are you in? I'm coming up on 34.

AshleyAnn
04-19-2010, 03:50 PM
I had a shot of narcotic pain relievers and ended up so high I don't recall DD being born and I about paniced when it was time to push because I was so delirious I thought I needed to poo and wanted off the table and tried to free myself of all the wires and moniters while my mom and husband tried to hold me down. It was not pretty. I had it when I had been 0cm and the same effacement and postion as I had been at my 34 week appointment after 14 hrs of hard labor with pit. 20 minutes later I was crowning and higher than a kite. Opps.

I found counter pressure to my lower back to be the most helpful. I wish I'd shown DH and my mom (who took turns 'helping' me) the bradley book I had that explained how to do it properly before going in as they didn't know how to do what i needed and at times it was almost worse than not having it at all.

citymama
04-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Might as well choose the safest possible option and make peace with it, right?

This is right - I need to make a decision and then have faith in it. Hearing from other women definitely helps strengthen my resolve and deepen my confidence. (Well, when I hear positive things, that is!)

ETA: What week are you in? I'm coming up on 34.

I'm in the middle of week 37 - due May 7!

mudder17
04-19-2010, 04:22 PM
With my first, I was induced and I had back labor and it was so rough I went for the epidural. With that one my preparation was Lamaze/birthing classes at the hospital. I think it helped with the early stages, but as soon as it became intense, when my doc said I had another 3 hours of back labor, I opted for the epidural. I ended up not being able to feel during the pushing and ended up with 4th degree tearing (doc termed it an internal c/s ouch!) and passed out because of a drop in blood pressure. In any case, I decided to try going for a different approach. With #2 and #3, I did hypnobabies and I had a doula. #2 I had back labor, and started transition around 11 or 12 and the baby was born at around 6. I bit my DH in the thigh just before pushing and but I caught myself as soon as I did it. He handed me a wet towel to bite on with the next pressure wave. ;) But I was able to do that unmedicated, even though I still had the back labor. With #3 I think I had back labor as well, but we started working on turning her as quickly as we could. Labor was actually a bit quicker than #2 and I had a dusting of pitocin (after my water was broken), so fairly intense, but because it was quick and because my DH and doula were pros, it was pretty manageable. I didn't know if I could go unmedicated, especially after the first birth, but hypnobabies taught me that I COULD and I did. :)