PDA

View Full Version : Twilight Fans!

Melaine
03-31-2010, 09:21 PM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jacketcopy/2010/03/stephenie-meyers-new-vampire-book-will-benefit-the-red-cross.html

Her new book will be available online for free starting in June!

But can someone help me out remembering who Bree Tanner is? I'm totally drawing a blank on this character.

ohiomom1121
03-31-2010, 09:26 PM
She's supposed to be one of the newborn vampires that Victoria created in Seattle, but I can't remember her either!

Melaine
03-31-2010, 09:27 PM
Ok I do vaguely remember her now: " In case you forgot this character (as I did), Bree is the newborn that surrenders to Carlisle and is killed by Jane at the end of the book."

DrSally
03-31-2010, 09:30 PM
OK, I'm not a huge Twilight fan (haven't read the books, but have seen the movies). Does newborn mean new vampire or vampire that's a baby. So if you make a baby into a vampire, will they forever be in a babies body?

ETA: I'm just thinking of how weird it would be to have baby duty for-ever

Carrots
03-31-2010, 09:31 PM
Bree surrendered to Carlisle after Victoria and her newborns were defeated. However, the Voltouri paid a visit to the war zone after the fight and killed Bree.

**Sorry for the double post! Melanie beat me to it :) **

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-31-2010, 09:31 PM
OK, I'm not a huge Twilight fan (haven't read the books, but have seen the movies). Does newborn mean new vampire or vampire that's a baby. So if you make a baby into a vampire, will they forever be in a babies body?

Newly turned vamp. You never age, so a baby would stay a baby.

Melaine
03-31-2010, 09:32 PM
They're referring to newly made vampires. There are some issues with actual toddlers being made into vampires in the books as well, which is kind of disturbing, and yes they stay forever little.

ohiomom1121
03-31-2010, 09:33 PM
A newborn is a new vampire, but technically if they made a baby a vampire they would stay that way since vampires don't age.

ETA: looks like 3 of us answered at the same time. :)

DrSally
03-31-2010, 09:34 PM
They're referring to newly made vampires. There are some issues with actual toddlers being made into vampires in the books as well, which is kind of disturbing, and yes they stay forever little.

Creepy! I just bought New Moon and watched it. I guess there is *a lot* more to this saga. It's kind of fun to be surprised, having not read the books.

Melaine
03-31-2010, 09:36 PM
Creepy! I just bought New Moon and watched it. I guess there is *a lot* more to this saga. It's kind of fun to be surprised, having not read the books.

The third and fourth books, the plot really starts to get intriguing. There is a lot more back-story to the characters than I expected. You really should read them, much better than the movies.

DrSally
03-31-2010, 09:43 PM
The third and fourth books, the plot really starts to get intriguing. There is a lot more back-story to the characters than I expected. You really should read them, much better than the movies.

I'm sure there's a lot more backstory in the books. I love backstory. Can I just say that I know I'm way behind the times having just watched New Moon for the first time last night, but one of the first scenes in the movie where Edward gets out of his car and walks slow-mo, with emo-rock music playing, toward Bella in the school parking lot---pure cheese, love it! :ROTFLMAO:!

boogiemomz
03-31-2010, 10:14 PM
is anybody else upset that this book is coming out instead of midnight sun? (in case you missed it, midnight sun is the same exact story as twilight, only told from edward's perspective instead of bella's... every scene, every look, every conversation, with edward commentating. S.M. posted an early version on her website and said she was not going to finish it because an early, unfinished draft got leaked on the internet and she was just so bitter about it she had to set it aside. the whole thing, amounting to about half the story, is online and available for your reading pleasure... many typos and obviously a rough draft, but seriously, i think it would have been my favorite of all of them if she had ever finished it! love my twilight, LOVE my edward!! :love5:)

Carrots
03-31-2010, 10:20 PM
one of the first scenes in the movie where Edward gets out of his car and walks slow-mo, with emo-rock music playing, toward Bella in the school parking lot---pure cheese, love it! :ROTFLMAO:!

:hysterical: Yes, that part was cheesy! I also liked how he parked across at least 3 parking spaces with his new volvo.

I loved New Moon (both book and movie). I thought the movie was so much beter than the Twilight movie.

Raidra
03-31-2010, 10:34 PM
is anybody else upset that this book is coming out instead of midnight sun? (in case you missed it, midnight sun is the same exact story as twilight, only told from edward's perspective instead of bella's... every scene, every look, every conversation, with edward commentating. S.M. posted an early version on her website and said she was not going to finish it because an early, unfinished draft got leaked on the internet and she was just so bitter about it she had to set it aside. the whole thing, amounting to about half the story, is online and available for your reading pleasure... many typos and obviously a rough draft, but seriously, i think it would have been my favorite of all of them if she had ever finished it! love my twilight, LOVE my edward!! :love5:)

Yeah, when I first saw this thread, that's what I was thinking.. I really wish she would finish Midnight Sun. It was fun reading his perspective.

codex57
04-01-2010, 12:44 PM

ETA: I'm just thinking of how weird it would be to have baby duty for-ever

Interesting question since you've never read the books.

Others have already covered that if you turn a baby into a vampire, it stays a baby. Well, that whole idea is basically the underlying cause of conflict for the 4th book. I won't get into details to avoid spoiling stuff, but basically, the 4th book (the third might have hinted at it, I can't remember) goes into detail what happens when you turn a baby into a vampire.

Very prescient of you. :)

I wish she'd finish Midnight Sun too. I didn't think the errors were all that bad. The only major thing she'd have to change is prolly delete the stuff about not being able to read Charlie's mind clearly. I like that concept, but it doesn't really reconcile with the books that are already out.

maestramommy
04-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Interesting question since you've never read the books.

Others have already covered that if you turn a baby into a vampire, it stays a baby. Well, that whole idea is basically the underlying cause of conflict for the 4th book. I won't get into details to avoid spoiling stuff, but basically, the 4th book (the third might have hinted at it, I can't remember) goes into detail what happens when you turn a baby into a vampire.

I've read all the books, and THAT concept (baby/toddler vampire) was FREAKY.

So, is Midnight Sun never coming out at all? Or is it just on hold?

DrSally
04-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Very interesting....It's like they're physically a baby forever, but I wonder if they mature cognitively.
About midnight sun, I wonder if she wrote it in a way to help Robert P. get a hold of his role in Twilight, and then once that was over, it outlived it's usefulness? Just a theory. Although, she could make a lot of $$ off it if she finished it (that is, if it doesn't get pub on the internet first).

codex57
04-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Very interesting....It's like they're physically a baby forever, but I wonder if they mature cognitively.

You'll have to read the books. :)

Midnight Sun's status hasn't changed. It's still, "I'm hurt about it being posted without permission, and if I ever get over the hurt, I'll finish it." That's a big if.

DrSally
04-06-2010, 02:02 PM
OK, so you guys got me piqued enough to go online last night and read Midnight Sun. Very entertaining. Disappointing that it stopped mid-book, but it was fun to read from his perspective, and get a lot of what was going on in his mind. You don't get that as much from just "seeing" what's on the screen, KWIM? Boy was he obsessed! I didn't get the feel from the movie how much he actually wanted to kill her. I think Edward in the book is a lot "scarier"/has more teeth, so to speak. Also, Mike and Jessica are painted in a *much* more unflattering light. I thought it was funny to read a 100 year old's observations of and tedium with high school. I think the Cullen's should've made occassional mistakes so they weren't so "perfect" in school. Anyway, this makes me want to read the others. Can't decide if I should buy them or check them out of the library. It was very convenient to read online, although I prefer a book. I haven't read fiction in a *really* long time. All my time seems to be tied up in nonfiction. It's fun to be immersed in a world/character, although my problem is that once I start, I want to stay up until I finish. I'm no speed reader, so I was up until 1am last night.

boogiemomz
04-06-2010, 02:12 PM
OK, so you guys got me piqued enough to go online last night and read Midnight Sun. Very entertaining. Disappointing that it stopped mid-book, but it was fun to read from his perspective, and get a lot of what was going on in his mind. You don't get that as much from just "seeing" what's on the screen, KWIM? Boy was he obsessed! I didn't get the feel from the movie how much he actually wanted to kill her. I think Edward in the book is a lot "scarier"/has more teeth, so to speak. Also, Mike and Jessica are painted in a *much* more unflattering light. I thought it was funny to read a 100 year old's observations of and tedium with high school. I think the Cullen's should've made occassional mistakes so they weren't so "perfect" in school. Anyway, this makes me want to read the others. Can't decide if I should buy them or check them out of the library. It was very convenient to read online, although I prefer a book. I haven't read fiction in a *really* long time. All my time seems to be tied up in nonfiction. It's fun to be immersed in a world/character, although my problem is that once I start, I want to stay up until I finish. I'm no speed reader, so I was up until 1am last night.

yay!!! and yes, you're getting it... edward in the books is way scarier, sexier, smarter, cooler, more confident, more attractive, etc etc etc. i think movie edward is just a bastardization. and they are all SO obsessed. i think it is a very interesting discussion, the sociologic dynamics of all of adult/middle aged women/moms who LOVE these books... i think it touches on our memories of our first crushes, when NOTHING else mattered. definitely read the other books... SO SO SO much better than the movies... but don't allow yourself access to more than one book at a time, because you won't be sleeping for a few days! :ROTFLMAO:

ehlana06
04-06-2010, 02:22 PM

I never heard about Midnight sun... probably because I just recently got into the whole Twilight epedemic. I am extremely intrigued! I fell into the whole twilight craze the minute i read the first couple pages. I now understand!! I can't wait to check out Midnight Sun :D

DrSally
04-06-2010, 02:23 PM
... but don't allow yourself access to more than one book at a time, because you won't be sleeping for a few days! :ROTFLMAO:

:ROTFLMAO: ITA it does paint such a detailed/intense picture of adolescence, it really bring women back to that time period.

DrSally
04-06-2010, 02:24 PM
I never heard about Midnight sun... probably because I just recently got into the whole Twilight epedemic. I am extremely intrigued! I fell into the whole twilight craze the minute i read the first couple pages. I now understand!! I can't wait to check out Midnight Sun :D

:ROTFLMAO: Now you'll be up late tonight.

ehlana06
04-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Ha Ha I've already begun reading it :yay:

ehlana06
04-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Well i have finished reading it and I must say that I definately am most disappointed that it isn't finished. :(

DrSally
04-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Well i have finished reading it and I must say that I definately am most disappointed that it isn't finished. :(

I know! It's so incomplete. But it was fun while it lasted...

boogiemomz
04-08-2010, 08:11 PM
hence my disappointment when i heard she was coming out with ANOTHER (different) book. i want more edward! :32:

DrSally
04-08-2010, 08:13 PM
i want more edward! :32:

:rotflmao:

ehlana06
04-10-2010, 07:15 PM
I just tried to go to Stephenie Meyer's web page and for some reason I am unable to access it. Is anyone else having this problem??

boogiemomz
04-10-2010, 07:19 PM
go to stepheniemeyer.com, click on "twilight series" at the top, then click on "midnight sun" on the side... you have to scroll down to the end of her impassioned message, and click on "midnight sun: partial draft." there's another link there for if you are having problems viewing it.

or just click here: http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/pdf/midnightsun_partial_draft4.pdf

enjoy. :bighand:

ehlana06
04-10-2010, 08:04 PM
go to stepheniemeyer.com, click on "twilight series" at the top, then click on "midnight sun" on the side... you have to scroll down to the end of her impassioned message, and click on "midnight sun: partial draft." there's another link there for if you are having problems viewing it.

or just click here: http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/pdf/midnightsun_partial_draft4.pdf

enjoy. :bighand:

Hmm it's not letting me access the page... maybe it's my computer...

DrSally
04-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Hmm it's not letting me access the page... maybe it's my computer...

Did you scroll all the way down. I googled "midnight sun" and found a pdf to read from as well.

Seitvonzu
04-10-2010, 08:16 PM
ack-- i saw this info about "midnight" sun right when i was supposed to be getting ready for my easter party. i restrained myself and ended up not staying up TOO LATE reading, and then finished it on easter sunday while my mom read breaking dawn across the living room-- it was a super chill easter ;)

i told my mom "don't read this-- you will hate edward." i was super annoyed with him... "i don't deserve bella!" mixed constantly with "MIKE NEWTON MUST DIE!!!!" what the heck?!?! hasn't he been 17 for a hundred years? i guess his "love for bella" changed him oor whatever but -- ACK! i was embarrased for him!

i was also asking my husband, who likes to write recreationally, if he could ever write something from another characters perspective like stephanie meyers was doing in midnight sun. my understanding of the writing process (esp. with fiction) is that characters basically speak to authors -- telling their own story. if this was the case, it would be seem incredibly difficult to change course and rewrite-- so maybe this was why this side of the story seemed slightly irritating to me? (from the original twilight i don't find edward annoying, but i found bella annoying from both perspectives ;)

boogiemomz
04-10-2010, 08:25 PM
yeah, they both have their annoying moments. i still find edward to be pretty dreamy though... :love-retry: by the time i got to breaking dawn, i was SO sick of bella i didn't know what to do. the main thing about edward that bugs me, actually, is that he's so infatuated with bella... i feel like someone as cool and smart as him who has been around THAT LONG would be totally annoyed by her. he should definitely be with someone like... me! :rotflmao:

DrSally
04-10-2010, 08:34 PM
i told my mom "don't read this-- you will hate edward." i was super annoyed with him... "i don't deserve bella!" mixed constantly with "MIKE NEWTON MUST DIE!!!!" what the heck?!?! hasn't he been 17 for a hundred years? i guess his "love for bella" changed him oor whatever but -- ACK! i was embarrased for him!

I think it was a lot of self-loathing mixed with *intense*, over the top, obsession, and extremely intense times 10 emotions in general.

Seitvonzu
04-10-2010, 08:40 PM
if you haven't read breaking dawn-- don't read any more of this post.

by breaking dawn i was all "oh! i'm SO SUPRISED-- Bella is a PERFECT newborn vamp...." because you know, despite the fact that she is totally annoying, she is just "perfect" to perfect edward. i had a big discussion with DH about how "selfless = devoid of personhood" and how edward calling her that had the opposite effect of what meyer's seemed to want it to have-- it made me think bella was LESS than i thought she was before. you have to fill yourself up with something or you don't have anything to give! come on-- this is POP psychology!!!! i'm sure one of edward's many degrees has to be in psychology, right?

but i still *love* edward :):):)

dh reminds me that it's sometimes hard for authors to get opposite gender characters perspectives right. i mean, i'm sure we could all write from the perspective of an insecure high school junior, right? but an ultra conservative romantic teen vampboy? hrm......